Audax HM210Z12 project help !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
To say a Seas tweeter can be used at 1.5khz is an incomplete statement. One must also specify the sharpness of the filter. A Seas tweeter can easily be used at 1.5khz if coupled with a 2nd or 3rd or 4th order filter and not used at a loudness level that is too loud for the filter order. It could be used with a 1st order filter if played softly, but if you really want the tweeter to blast away it better have a 4th order filter to protect it from over excursion. Filter order is selected to match design goals.

Now about the Audax driver. I have used them and very much like their sound, when used in an appropriate frequency range. But, one must also consider driver diameter as a function of frequency reproduced. At which frequency will an 8" driver begin to "beam?" One must consider dispersion in a well designed system. Off-axis response is important. Here is a thread that might be of interest:

http://www.pesupport.com/cgi-bin/config.pl?read=257154

Diick West said:
FWIW, the best driver of the Audax Aerogels was their HM130Z0.
It was a midrange used by some big name 3-way commercial designs.
Its later versions (HM130Z1 and 2) did not fare as well as they were more of a bass/mid driver (not just a midrange driver) and
the midrange of them suffered in comparison to the original HM130Z0 version.

Diick West
I am glad to see you name these 'the best drivers of Audax Aerogels'.
And Audax make great quality midrange woofers!

I want drivers that have a wide operation frequency span.
They should have a sensitive/effiency above average.
After much study of Curves, Hertz and Data of Audax drivers
my choice was HM130Z0.
They have a plug in the middle and membrane is made of 'HDA'.

I bought a pair. Must have been something like 5 years ago.
They are like 'my treasure' but still they do nothing useful but collect dust.

I really ought to come around to make them a box.
:)

lineup,

The HM13Oz0 midrange driver is one of the best. Too bad it is no longer available. This driver is strictly for the midrange and should be crossed over at 350 hz 2nd order (or higher). So it is best suited for a 3-way system.

I have used it in the Poly Natalia system that crosses it at around 500 hz 2nd order. I also presently am using it in a version of the Poly Natalia that uses the HP210z2 woofers with a first order series crossover and crossed at around 600 hz. It all seems to sound great.

Good luck.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.