ATC mid dome and ribbon tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wish I could get hold of an ATC bass driver, its kinda funny since they are made in this country yet no one seems to be able to get hold of one!

I have two 9" ones that I will use for a bass-rig (together with a tweeter and two 18" RCFs). AFAIK they were not on stock but made when I ordered them via their Swiss representative although they are a standard driver type.
I think ATC woofers are not used more often simply because they are quite expensive.
For my Manger system I was also considering an ATC woofer (the one used in the SCM 100). I could have gotten it from the "Cornflake Shop" (cool high-end dealer in London) but I went for an Audiotechnology woofer since I could order it with custom parameters for the same price approx.

Regards

Charles

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
phase_accurate said:

I have two 9" ones that I will use for a bass-rig (together with a tweeter and two 18" RCFs). AFAIK they were not on stock but made when I ordered them via their Swiss representative although they are a standard driver type.
I think ATC woofers are not used more often simply because they are quite expensive.
For my Manger system I was also considering an ATC woofer (the one used in the SCM 100). I could have gotten it from the "Cornflake Shop" (cool high-end dealer in London) but I went for an Audiotechnology woofer since I could order it with custom parameters for the same price approx.

Regards

Charles

Even calling ATC direct didn't yield any result.

I know Volt mainly build to order but ATC don't deal with the public directly and will only trade with business account holders.

I couldn't get an answer on whether or not they are still supplying woofers to resellers. They only suggested that the range they supplied now was limited???

Shin ,

I just ordered a pair of LCY 110 . Wanna try those too. Also I got Morel MDT30 for my brother’s speaker project ,have some good Scanspeak tweeters and OWII . I made temporary box for ATC with universal tweeter hole so it is possible to mount all those units .
So I and some my audiophile friends we will have pretty interesting listening and comparing soon …
Regarding bass driver – I am still using Tannoy 8” driver in original Tannoy cabinet , wanna finish with tweeter selection first . For the bass driver my candidates are :

1. Supravox 400-2000 EXC – very expensive and hard to get it here .
2. Volt B2500.1 – looks like a good choice , but needs vented box ,typically I like closed boxes more.
3. Lambda Acoustics TD12 or TD15 – never heard those , very hard to get it here .
4. ATC SB75/SB100 - sounds really good , but very hard to get it here .
5. Scan-Speak 26W/8861T00 – that one is pretty interesting , good quality , not too expensive , can get it here ..
6. Seas W26FX – looks like a good driver , never heard that , and I like paper cones more ...
7. Precision Devices PD1550 , – never heard those , very hard to get it here .
8. PHL 5010 - heard speaker with that driver , good sound .

Vil

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Originally posted by Vil Shin ,

I just ordered a pair of LCY 110 . Wanna try those too. Also I got Morel MDT30 for my brother’s speaker project ,have some good Scanspeak tweeters and OWII . I made temporary box for ATC with universal tweeter hole so it is possible to mount all those units .

If those don't work out.

I've heard that ATC is actually not far off producing their own HF units!
I'm not entirely sure of the accuracy of this since I heard it from a fellow enthusiast who visited the ATC factory whilst getting his old ATC drivers overhauled and brought back upto latest spec.

So I and some my audiophile friends we will have pretty interesting listening and comparing soon …

Sounds very interesting. Did you say you had a couple R2904-7000 to compare also?
If so I'd be doubly interested to hear your thoughts.

Regarding bass driver – I am still using Tannoy 8” driver in original Tannoy cabinet , wanna finish with tweeter selection first . For the bass driver my candidates are :

1. Supravox 400-2000 EXC – very expensive and hard to get it here .
2. Volt B2500.1 – looks like a good choice , but needs vented box ,typically I like closed boxes more.
3. Lambda Acoustics TD12 or TD15 – never heard those , very hard to get it here .
4. ATC SB75/SB100 - sounds really good , but very hard to get it here .
5. Scan-Speak 26W/8861T00 – that one is pretty interesting , good quality , not too expensive , can get it here ..
6. Seas W26FX – looks like a good driver , never heard that , and I like paper cones more ...
7. Precision Devices PD1550 , – never heard those , very hard to get it here .
8. PHL 5010 - heard speaker with that driver , good sound .

Vil

Great cross section of bass drivers there.

My favourites would be the ATC, PD and Volt drivers.

The Scan and Sea's would be the weakest out of that lot I feel from experience.

The cross between the ATC and the bass driver is in the very critical 400hz range, which is why its a bag to get a seamless cross I believe.

I'm more and more convinced that a paper cone would suit the ATC mid better. Obviously the ATC bass driver would be the natural choice but they aren't available in here in the UK let alone the rest of the world so I'd expect getting hold of one to be tough.

I also think a driver with studio heritage would suit the ATC better than one with hifi pedigree. The ATC is about accuracy and realism rather than 'hifi' as such. Which is also a good reason why you only see it in studio monitors from the likes of PMC, ATC, Quested etc.

The choice of tweeter seems rather easier and providing its transparent, realistic and accurate. They should go together well. The R2904-7000 isn't far off a good electrostatic in this respect. I'd be interested to hear if a ribbon works well, I can't see why not.

>>>Sounds very interesting. Did you say you had a couple R2904-7000 to compare also? If so I'd be doubly interested to hear your thoughts.

I got pair from D2905 series , not the R2904-7000 . its way too expencive to buy those just for testing ... well but maybe I'll do that latter , if will not be happy with those I got :D

Re: Re: Re: Re: Shinobiwan

ShinOBIWAN said:

Hi Bratislav,

I wish I could get hold of an ATC bass driver, its kinda funny since they are made in this country yet no one seems to be able to get hold of one!

Wilmslow Audio who supplied me with the ATC domes said that the bass drivers are all but impossible to get.

I'm not sure if this means anything ie. pulling out of the DIY market? But eitherway its very difficult to find ATC bass drivers overs here.

Hmmm.
I've got a suggestion - talk to Bill W. over a bottle of a fine Australian Shiraz (Bendigo variety preferable), I've got the feeling that might do the trick ... ;-)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.