Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Yeah, guess I will have to do that.
On the product page for toroidal transformers it mentions a file to download, which doesn't exist :)

Also, I see they produce O core transformers. But zero information besides that they can produce them on order.

I wonder if O core transformers ban be produced with multiple secondary windings.
Like 3*9V.

Reactions: 1 user
I noticed that as well. But where to buy Giatras?
Their site isn't exactly informative of that.
Yes, I am afraid if you are interested you must contact them through their website, because they custom-build their transformers and thus are not available on their e-shop. However, Giatras is a well respected company for transformers in Greece and many audio manufacturers use them.

It's a family business. I've picked my transformers from them directly (downtown Athens).

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2021
Paid Member
Also, I see they produce O core transformers. But zero information besides that they can produce them on order.

I wonder if O core transformers ban be produced with multiple secondary windings.
Like 3*9V.
Speaking of “O” transformers, anyone know what HOLO is using in their KTE version?

Attachments

• IMG_8655.jpeg
    IMG_8655.jpeg
    152.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_8654.jpeg
    IMG_8654.jpeg
    161.8 KB · Views: 64
@iancanada or anyone else …..

quick question… as I am scratching my head and look for a confirmation if the following is correct or not

i run ropieee on an RPI followed by a FiFoPi Q2. The DAC HAT in Ropieee is Generic I2S
Now, when I measure LR and Data signals, I am getting padded ones in stead of the expected padded zeroes at the end of the word.

for A DAC accepting I2S, this is no issue as it all LSB stuff

but….. testing a R2R DAC from Stefano, I get weird results like cut in half sinus signals as these “padded ones“ are crossing with the very last bit the LR transition and this is seen by that DAC as MSB… (I2S MSB is coming one clock cycle after the LR transitioning)….

i suspect the DAC to work with Left Justified signal ins stead of true I2S

if there would be true zero padding, therebwould Be less of a problem, only 6dB less signal

Ian, may be you or anyone else might have an idea On the ones padding. Might even be an issue of the ropieee of course

Update: It must be Ropieee.... also at the RPI data output i get "ones" for "zero" bit positions. It seems as if in Ropieee the Data output is inverted.... I can check with a simple inverter if the data comes out right and things still work. Next week or so or after. I will inform Ropieee as well. this should not be the case

Yes, this is how it looks

compltely changing my streamer setup, Rock, Roon, RPI with Ropieee is for now a bridge to far, just to do some tests of course.
any way, Stefano is very supportive and we are looking to see what could cause the main issue of the Stefano DAC not working as expected. It works on my AP whee I can meddle around with timing and I2S signals…

Attachments

• IMG_3073.png
    IMG_3073.png
    180.9 KB · Views: 57
A few weeks ago I posted a question about Ian stack and how sensitive to RFi/EMI it was. Well at the time I was testing on an open board. Since then I moved everything in an enclosure. I shielded the three toroidal transformers with stainless steel. The stack is on a StationPi and shielded as follow. A separate copper shield box for the receiver PI and RPI. The FifoPIQ7 and the dual mono DAC are seperated by a copper board and both units are then enclosed in a copper shield box. Finally the OPA861 sits on top and is also separately shielded with its own copper box. Did it make a difference? Yes but… don’t expect a huge difference. What I hear is exactly the same sound character but with more clarity and easier capacity to discern small details. Overall I am happy with the result. Attached are before and after pics.

Attachments

• IMG_3135.jpeg
    IMG_3135.jpeg
    651.8 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_3158.jpeg
    IMG_3158.jpeg
    625.7 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_3159.jpeg
    IMG_3159.jpeg
    620.9 KB · Views: 168
Reactions: 5 users
@Martin923

To use stainless steel to cover the transformers might not get the best result due to the limited or non-magnetic properties of stainless steel.

Please realise in EMI we have 2 situations:

Magnetic fields, mainly from transformers and current going trough wires, PCB traces and are mostly low frequency up to a few hundred kHz ?
Twisted wires compensates most of the magnetic fields as each wire has the magnetic field in opposite direction to the other so they counteract each other.
The magnetic field is dependant on current strength so a few mA on a PCB will hardly be an issue.
A transformer is a magnetic source that could use magnetic shielding but then the shield must have magnetic properties like iron or steel. Some kinds of stainless steel have very limited or almost none magnetic properties so hardly protect against magnetic.

Then there are radiated signals (think of wifi, mobile phones, AM/FM radio) which goes into the MHz range.
For these you can use any kind of metallic shields like aluminium, copper foil and also stainless steel and more.

Reactions: 4 users