Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

@iancanada
I use the PurePi 5/3.3v and sometimes after starting up the music plays slowly, this phenomenon is not always there.
I now use the battery output with a relay in between with some delay and this works well.

I use a PurePi 5 / 3.3 v / raspberry pi 3 / isolator II in master mode / FifoMa/UcPure 3,3v and pcm 1794A dac.

I must mention that I have to upsample that PCM 1794A DAC, in volumio I even have to use FusionDSP plugin to get sound via Spotify.
I rather think that the problem is due to the PCM 1794A DAC, if I use a different DAC it works well without delay.

a friend of mine has the same dac but with a FifoQ7 there no problem, he uses regular linear power supplies (not Ian Canada) but also has to upsample via FusionDSP plugin to get sound via Spotify.
Hi @gizmo3

What is the frequency of the clocks your have on the FiFiMa?
PCM1794 only accept 22/24 mhz clock due to its 192 kHz limit and only 24bit.

Maybe that’s why you have to up sample?
I had a similar problem when I used a FiFoPi I front of a COD DAC 1794 from twisted pear.
If I remember correctly I had to up sample in Volumio to 96 kHz just to get music when i used 44/49 clocks.

Regards Mikkel

@badd99

That's good.

But I think you can also share one quad 5V UcPure for
RPi and FifoPi 5V because the ultra-low ESR.

You can refer to this configuration. Just replace the LinearPi with the UcPure 5V quad
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...fight-the-jitter.192465/page-504#post-7478491

BestDsDacIntegration
I am not using my station pi pro like this anymore.... But using just pi side and then housing a stack of ddc + fifo7 + dual mono + i/v in a separate copper shielded enclosure, just connect the pi + ddc thru usb. The pi is also shielded on the station pi with copper plates.

This situation only has usb from pi to ddc, there is no Emi from one to another stack as each housed in copper and grounded. I wonder if here the quad Eaton 5v caps would still be beneficial.

Is there anybody here that can help with this setup, Amanero USB, StationPI Pro, FIFOQ7 with SC-PURE, ES9038Q2M and OPA861, It measure and sound terrible, i have the right power supply and all lights is green/blue. I'm using a E1DA for measurement.
Kind regards Lars
View attachment 1241330 View attachment 1241329
View attachment 1241331
What are you using for input? Have you tried different input usb devices with different software? It's probably something regarding your input format / driver / software and possible the ammenero make sure it's flashed with newest software

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
It seems that we should focus more on " isolating " boards regarding all kind of interferences from other boards or even from things like bluetooth devices within ten meters or more.
The Raspberry looks like the biggest offender.
A bit weird that people keep investing in the latest boards and replace them once the next update appears while not spending a single dime on creating a better environment for all these expensive boards.
Of course big coke can caps are likely more impressive than the latest technology in shielding materials
Greetings,Eduard

The problem is that I've tried many times and found that the RaspberryPi sound better than USB as digital music source. The possible reason is that RPi can play true 16bit format without converting everything into 32bit as inside the USB interface.

I thinks the best way is to keep RaspberryPi external to the streamer and using a I2S to Hdmi cable to ReceiverPi DDC or ReceiverPi Pro. An isolatroPi can also be installed between RPi and HdmiPi to isolate the RPi ground loop.

I'll do a test the keep the updates posted.

Ian

Reactions: 1 user
What are you using for input? Have you tried different input usb devices with different software? It's probably something regarding your input format / driver / software and possible the ammenero make sure it's flashed with newest software
I’m using multitone software for measurement and my other DAC SMSL DO300 measure in the same setup, approx as the specified by the manufacture. So i think it’s a problem with OPA861, could be some wrong parts on the board, i don’t think the Anamero could generate that amount of H2 and yes it’s worse than a tube amplifier.
Kind regards Lars

Hello,
It seems that we should focus more on " isolating " boards regarding all kind of interferences from other boards or even from things like bluetooth devices within ten meters or more.
A bit weird that people keep investing in the latest boards and replace them once the next update appears while not spending a single dime on creating a better environment for all these expensive boards.
Of course big coke can caps are likely more impressive than the latest technology in shielding materials
Greetings,Eduard
Not true, I have pure 1/4" copper plates boxing everything in, connected all to ground with additional ultracapitors on a true ground plate and pure copper bus bars and dedicated ground rods.i have more money into my grounding and network clocking system than my entire $2000+ Ian boards.

I also have multiple layers of sorbothane for base for vibrations.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello badd99,
But were your ideas shared here? Usually here it about the biggest screen possible and thick front plates with nice engraving connected to the usual not so sturdy box.
For my Italian clocks i used so called stomping boxes. Which are die cast aluminium, really ridgid and kind of airtight which should be good to create a trouble free functioning.
Have to check dimensions available on the web. I have read somewhere that the thing to be isolated should be closely surrounded by the enclosure.
During basic tasks the Raspberry will not heat up that much otherwise there should be some strategically drilled holes.
I assume power supply should be close in order to function perfectly. You always read about pc contaminating your household power supply. This garbage will travel from Raspberry through its supply ( and its in and output cable) into the wall socket and further into the rest of your gear. good luck.
Probably the cable from Raspberry to its supply will be the one to keep short. Of course the supply should deal with garbage in both ways. The reason for all these CE regulations in my country.
When i was young we only had some trouble with a motorbike passing by doing strange things with bad tuners.
But then there were pc, mobile phones and finally digital diy.
I guess we need some support from old fashioned radio amateurs. The once that were chased by the authorities because they had no license.
I hope Ian will come up with some basic ideas how to isolate the Raspberry with optimum results. If a Raspberry nearby cannot be detected by measuring on closely located circuit boards then that would be nice.
Greetings Eduard

Hello,
Greetings,Eduard
What boards have you been buying that are expensive?
Ian boards are not.
A friend the does custom board building and electronics repairs was very impressed at the low cost of Ian boards.

The problem is that I've tried many times and found that the RaspberryPi sound better than USB as digital music source. The possible reason is that RPi can play true 16bit format without converting everything into 32bit as inside the USB interface.

I thinks the best way is to keep RaspberryPi external to the streamer and using a I2S to Hdmi cable to ReceiverPi DDC or ReceiverPi Pro. An isolatroPi can also be installed between RPi and HdmiPi to isolate the RPi ground loop.

I'll do a test the keep the updates posted.

Ian
This would be fantastic
I was going to ask this as a question “is Hdmi 12s the way to go.”

Look forward to seeing the results.

No my grounding was self thought up, hasn't posted here my entire build as it's not done yet. We are talking multiple layer enclosure of mdf, pure copper plates, sorbothane more copper plates and the entire thing housed in a pure custom cut grainte enclosure. Everything to ground. Individual boards in copper enclosurers that'd are also grounded.

I have a lot of Ian gear. A lot. I use a large toroidy tordial I had custom made too, their supereme audio version.

I power everything from a ps audio powerplant as well. Isolation and grounding are incredibly important, as is power quality.

One would think the shieldpi pro II would help but here it hurts. Station pro here running off battery pack for testing. The noise level is less without the shieldpi pro II. The rf fluctuates but here it was 0 without the shieldpi pro II. It would go as high as 100 at times but generally was less without it, than with it.

When powered by wall cheap phone ac to dc 5v converter you get an Ef of 500-600 on the Emi meter.

I measure the effect of all my grounding and noise this way. I also wrap all cables with skived ptfe and then a copper foil layer and then another layer of ptfe and the copper is connected to ground as well. This also makes a big and measure difference.

Attachments

• 20231202_151314.jpg
    20231202_151314.jpg
    443.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 20231202_150628.jpg
    20231202_150628.jpg
    533.8 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Hi @gizmo3

What is the frequency of the clocks your have on the FiFiMa?
PCM1794 only accept 22/24 mhz clock due to its 192 kHz limit and only 24bit.

Maybe that’s why you have to up sample?
I had a similar problem when I used a FiFoPi I front of a COD DAC 1794 from twisted pear.
If I remember correctly I had to up sample in Volumio to 96 kHz just to get music when i used 44/49 clocks.

Regards Mikkel
the clocks are 45/49 MHz Accusilicon.

There was also someone on Volumio who had the same PCM 1794A DAC and also had to upsample without Fifopi connected.

Ultimately I will look for another DAC.

It is also maybe because with the shieldPi the Raspi exceeds the separation plate,no?It is necessary to increase the separation between the board.
Possible, normally id box both sides individually with their own copper plate box, similar to gaby does on his YouTube videos.

However, with the shield pi pro II it's still under the srperartion plate, just the very top of the pie is slightly lower than the top of the shield plate... However this is still higher than without it, obviously. An easy thing is to attach a copper sheet to each of the included shields and solder a wire to the copper sheet and then run it under the station pi pro II and solder to the silver parts where that shield mounts. This is better than nothing, but an entire enclosure is better.
I tried a number of USB connected alternatives, but found variable results. I2S connected BBB and Rpi were better to my ear. Then it just makes sense to provide some level of isolation both from vibration and EMI. Doesn't have to be perfect. Every little thing helps.
Bbb?

Since I up sample to dsd 512 I need usb with a pi, I'm wondering is it worth doing this? Particularly the hdmi pro to reciever pi pro II... Otherwise same setup minus two two boards.

---------------
[1 item stack]
5v shared from quad Eaton 3400F caps

Rpi usb cable out

----------------
SEPERATE ISOLATED/GROUNDED STACK
----------------

[2 item stack]

USB cable in amanero receiver pi ddc - > gpio connected hdmipi pro ( shared 3.3v ucpure powered -> hdmi cable out

---------------
SEPERATE ISOLATED/GROUNDED STACK
----------------

[4 item stack]

UsbHDMI cable to reciever pi pro II - >FIFOQ7 (seperate 3.3v ucpure) - > dual mono dac (shared with hdmi pro 3.3v ucpure) - > I/V board with dual 5V ucpure.