Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Hallo Fusion,

Klopt het dat u de sc-pure en de v/I-uitgangskaart voedt?

Offert u de dure stroomvoorziening op door een tweede apparaat aan te sluiten?

Wat vindt Ian daarvan.

Ik volg je reis met belangstelling!

Thank you. Rgrds Jan
Ian confirmed it’s ok to feed FiFoPiQ7 and the dual mono DAC from same UCPureIII. In fact it’s the recommended way. Better to feed the FiFoPiQ7 from the continuous power feed on UCPureIII so clocks always have power I guess. I should move to toroid transformer to power the UCPureIII. Currently I’m using a 18vdc power brick. I’m trying to balance convenience, compactness and sound quality however which is tough.

Right now however with UCPureIII it is bringing the most out of the SCPure clocks. I get more reverb, acoustic sounds and vocals and any ‘room’ sounds in recordings. So UCPureIII needs to stay. But I will stay with LinearPiDuo for the output board I think for compactness.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
If you put sorbothane like i described you get a very firm connection ,same time helpful for vibration.Sorbothane is a visco elastic material and with the right amount of sheets on top you use that floating characteristic the material have,then you put some sheets above and press it down with a circuit board.
Hello,
You will have a firm connection by the ( rather thick ) clock pins being in the socket. If you put something visco elastic in between the socket and the clocks body the firm connection will remain so if you would enter a vibration into the board it will end up in the clock..
It will be like a spring with a sturdy bolt in the middle it will reduce the function of the spring.
So adding the sorbothane '' hat '' will tackle the vibrations that did reach the clocks through the pins. Of course you could try to tackle vibrations in the board where the socket is mounted by kind of damping this board with sorbothane blocks in areas where there is no heat.
Greetings, Eduard

What do you think about the simple D latch FIFO, with out the FPGA complexity?
e.g. https://www.diyinhk.com/shop/audio-kits/165-fifo-reclock-jitter-eliminator-for-8-channel-dac.html

Short answer: flip flops work great if and only if the clock is synchronous and master. Need to work asynchronously or isolate clock domains? You need a FIFO.

The product you link to is not a FIFO buffer (mismarketing) exactly as you mentioned. Also better to use single gate flip-flops.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I should move to toroid transformer to power the UCPureIII. Currently I’m using a 18vdc power brick. I’m trying to balance convenience, compactness and sound quality however which is tough.
Hello,
Probably any transformer will do because it will only just work when voltage on the ultracaps will be below a certain treshold. It says in the manual that when using AC instead of DC charging voltage it will be better to lower charging current from 3 to 1,5 A. I will be using the Signal CL2-40-12 which is 12 volt 3,3A. During initial charging it will have to work a bit harder but during normal use it will have an easy life.
You can locate this transformer away from '' sensitive elements '' . It will always have to be connected to the power outlet in your wall so even when not in charging '' mode '' it could be'' radiating noise '' around its area.
Greetings, Eduard

Reactions: 1 users
I've been off the Raspberry Pi audio scene for a while now and am just catching up with Ian's latest offering.

I'm considering building a new RPi I2S transport for my Rockna Wavedream and would need some help to picking the right boards.

The Wavedream supports PS-Audio I2S format, so I think I'm good on that front.

What type of performance difference (if any) is there between the TransportPiDigi and the FifoPiMa + HDMIPiTransmitter mkII? It seems like both options would provide I2S re-clocking (in master mode) and I2S to HDMI LVDS conversion/conditioning.

I'm also looking at galvanic isolation. Is the Isolator II the only option for Raspberry Pi? I recall Ian had an isolated HDMI I2S PI hat in the works few years ago, which does all of the above in a single board. Was it ever released?
Sorry for my late reply. Saw your post kind of late. Rockna Wavedream Edition XLR here.
I went with the following:
FIFOPI Q7 + SCPure 45/49 (you can start with Acusilicons as an alternative)
HDMI Pro transmitter (yes only LVDS to Rockna)
StationPi Pro (better for assembly and separation)
LIFEPO4, 2xUCHYBRID, 1xUCMATE Conditioner (I am powering the assembly via a 19V external linear power supply - HDPLEX) - here you have lots of alternatives

Of course the whole assembly makes sense if this streamer will be used for clock reference in Rockna (stream vs local for PLL sync)

I do not quite understand what you try to achieve with what you are ordering in the group buy.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Still remember the introduction of the compact disc. Digital has made some improvements.
But it appears for many people it is still a can of worms with new worms popping up all the time or are the cans getting bigger?
Every semester the new holy grail arrives but it won't remain without cracks for more than a few months.
Greetings,Eduard

Hi everyone, asking for an advice here.
I'm soon realizing my personal build of a Dac/streamer solution using Ian's parts. Main core will be composed of a FifoPiQ7 and a ES9038Q2M MkII.
I've my head totally stuck with the I/V stage choice, the matter is the following:

The amplifier this system will be run into (an YBA Integrè, btw) just has RCA input available.

Being conscious that I would not take the most out of it, can the OPA861 I/V board still give me better result than the STD OPA I/V board, even if used with RCA only? Or should I avoid this option? Even if I'm not planning to change my amp within a short-time period, I'd like to already have a top tier I/V stage.

I'm aware that the manual reports "RCA for test only", but I've found a thread in which a user declares he achieved great results, that put a woodworm in my head.

I'm not considering too much the transformer I/V option, I've read multiple times that the LL1544A are nothing special and the way for top-tier transformers is probably too expensive.

You surely know the best way to follow, thank you all

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello Italy,
Put this tiny transformer at the input of your YBA and you can balanced output on your dac board

Attachments

• 20200418_184915.jpeg
    20200418_184915.jpeg
    50.9 KB · Views: 85
Hi everyone, asking for an advice here.
I'm soon realizing my personal build of a Dac/streamer solution using Ian's parts. Main core will be composed of a FifoPiQ7 and a ES9038Q2M MkII.
I've my head totally stuck with the I/V stage choice, the matter is the following:

The amplifier this system will be run into (an YBA Integrè, btw) just has RCA input available.

Being conscious that I would not take the most out of it, can the OPA861 I/V board still give me better result than the STD OPA I/V board, even if used with RCA only? Or should I avoid this option? Even if I'm not planning to change my amp within a short-time period, I'd like to already have a top tier I/V stage.

I'm aware that the manual reports "RCA for test only", but I've found a thread in which a user declares he achieved great results, that put a woodworm in my head.

I'm not considering too much the transformer I/V option, I've read multiple times that the LL1544A are nothing special and the way for top-tier transformers is probably too expensive.

You surely know the best way to follow, thank you all
It’s a great board - I would give it a shot. If my speakers were within six feet of my DAC I’d try it and report back. This is why I love XLR , I can put my loudspeakers 15-20 ft. across the other side of room - no issues.

Sorry for my late reply. Saw your post kind of late. Rockna Wavedream Edition XLR here.
I went with the following:
FIFOPI Q7 + SCPure 45/49 (you can start with Acusilicons as an alternative)
HDMI Pro transmitter (yes only LVDS to Rockna)
StationPi Pro (better for assembly and separation)
LIFEPO4, 2xUCHYBRID, 1xUCMATE Conditioner (I am powering the assembly via a 19V external linear power supply - HDPLEX) - here you have lots of alternatives

Of course the whole assembly makes sense if this streamer will be used for clock reference in Rockna (stream vs local for PLL sync)

I do not quite understand what you try to achieve with what you are ordering in the group buy.
Hi @BogdanS

Did you experience any improvement in SQ using a linear PSU for the onboard LT3042 ant the LifeP04 even though it is for dirty side of the FifoPi and Rpi (assuming you have this setup🙂)? Did the UCmate made an improvement as well or did you have better results in using the UChybrid on the clean side?
I am considering upgrading my LifePO4 and is currently using a laptop PSU.
(My system: stationPi->Fifopi->reclockPi->Dual 9038(3 x LifeP04 supply)->lundahl)

Thanks in advance☺️

Comment and experience by other are much appreciated ☺️

/Mikkel

For a couple of days I have the SC-pure clocks. Together with all kind of Ian's beautiful stuff they the are helping to get data into a TDA1541A S1 :)

Compared to the standard clocks the difference is more then significant. It only took some seconds to discover that.
In my system with 300B tubes, sound is a little more upfront and everything is more precise. Details are discovered more easy compared with the standard clocks. I like that.

At the moment they sound a bit hard especially when listening to Shostakovitch symphonies 5 or 8.
Hopefully that will be less in time.

Nice job Ian!!

regards,
Ad.

Attachments

• 20230928_152153.jpg
    20230928_152153.jpg
    489.4 KB · Views: 86
Reactions: 1 user