Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Sure, since you seem to be yet another expert in the matter, have you computed the theoretical phase noise error @1Hz due to a 5Hz FM fluctuation? It’s a rather trivial calculation that I’m sure you are aware of. If in doubt, I am also sure Andreas would be more than happy to help.

Really?

What are you talking about,
have you measured our oscillators?
If so please post the plots (phase noise and Allan deviation with and without the oven).

It is exactly what I have done!
No matter it plays Native DSD or PCM, it is very good, there is no problem at all.
In addition, the software I use is moOde or piCorePlayer

View attachment 979580

@Lerictpe168

That's an interesting project. Thank you for sharing the experiences.
If I'm not wrong, it should be a PLL board with a 10MHz OCXO as reference clock input. It has two outputs, 25MHz and 54MHz.

What I'm concerned about are:

1. OCXO has lower phase noise and higher frequency stability than normal XOs, that's for sure. But after the PLL, are those 25MHz and 54MHz clocks really better than the original XO crystal oscillators on the RPi? If yes, better for what? Close-in phase noise? phase noise floor? or both?

2. Both 25MHz and 54MHz are not the finial audio clocks of a RPi, the real audio clocks are generated by another digital PLL inside the RPi SoC. So the audio clocks from RPi always have very big systematical jitter (more than 600ps, please see the measurement result below). With this solution, can the finial audio clocks of a RPi really benefit from?

3. What are the other possible benefits for the sound quality?

Thanks again, just hope I can buy one to make some measurements.

Regards,
Ian

RPiSCK44.1K16bitold
by Ian, on Flickr

Last edited:
Really. I’m not planning to spend money on one of your toys, and I doubt you would sell me one, anyway. You have no incentive for exposing your whole hard build High End Audio story to the real world. You know perfectly well I have all the tools to evaluate and characterize your product.

Ah, you have not measured anything.
So you are claiming without any proof.
Very strange since usually you ask others for prooves.

Ah, my toys are 25 dB better than yours.
Altough they are toys.

Send me your best oscillator for free and I’ll return the oscillator and the measurement results. I’ll also pay for the forth-back shipping.

Wait, you are not willing to expose your product to any independent evaluation. It is understandable, that would be not good for you business. Yes, I know, you are not running a business here, you are only DIY enthusiast building their dream system and sharing with the community the byproducts. For the right price, since you are not Santa Claus :rofl:.

Last edited:
Send me your best oscillator for free and I’ll return the oscillator and the measurement results. I’ll also pay for the forth-back shipping.

Wait, you are not willing to expose your product to any independent evaluation. It is understandable, that would be not good for you business. Yes, I know, you are not running a business here, you are only DIY enthusiast building their dream system and sharing with the community the byproducts. For the right price, since you are not Santa Claus :rofl:.

Ian owns a pair, 22 and 24 MHz, please ask him.

If it will move this conversation into something more fruitful...

You can borrow one of mine, but you will need to build it - as the spare oscillators I have which aren't in use are currently unbuilt.

PM your address.

@Lerictpe168

That's an interesting project. Thank you for sharing the experiences.
If I'm not wrong, it should be a PLL board with a 10MHz OCXO as reference clock input. It has two outputs, 25MHz and 54MHz.

What I'm concerned about are:

1. OCXO has lower phase noise and higher frequency stability than normal XOs, that's for sure. But after the PLL, are those 25MHz and 54MHz clocks really better than the original XO crystal oscillators on the RPi? If yes, better for what? Close-in phase noise? phase noise floor? or both?

2. Both 25MHz and 54MHz are not the finial audio clocks of a RPi, the real audio clocks are generated by another digital PLL inside the RPi SoC. So the audio clocks from RPi always have very big systematical jitter (more than 600ps, please see the measurement result below). With this solution, can the finial audio clocks of a RPi really benefit from?

3. What are the other possible benefits for the sound quality?

Thanks again, just hope I can buy one to make some measurements.

Regards,
Ian

https://flic.kr/p/2joW5t2
RPiSCK44.1K16bitold
by Ian, on Flickr

Hi! Ian,
In fact, this OCXO clock board has three sets of outputs:
54MHz = BCM2711 SoC
25MHz = BCM54213PE Ethernet
25MHz = VL805 USB 3.0
You can find the purchase link on the following page:
Raspberry Pi 4B改裝時鐘晶振專用板 OCXO 恆溫晶振 升級晶振
??? Raspberry Pi 4B ??? ??? OCXO ???? ????-???

Wait, you are not willing to expose your product to any independent evaluation. :rofl:.
For the record, dozens of these have been shipped to a wide audience. Many have reported their impressions on sound quality. While you do not accept that feedback, it is compelling. Several have measured the devices and reported findings consistent with Andrea's.

Your consistent tilting at windmills first on Andrea's thread and now this one breaks the forum rules and is irritating and tiresome. We have heard your argument. We accept that this is your opinion. What more do you expect by continuing to bait Andrea into a fight.

If you have nothing to discuss wrt FIFO then read along in silence.

In fact, this OCXO clock board has three sets of outputs:
54MHz = BCM2711 SoC
25MHz = BCM54213PE Ethernet
25MHz = VL805 USB 3.0
You can find the purchase link on the following page:
Raspberry Pi 4B改裝時鐘晶振專用板 OCXO 恆溫晶振 升級晶振
??? Raspberry Pi 4B ??? ??? OCXO ???? ????-???

This thread has mostly discussed reasonable stuff. Does this audiophile voodoo really belong here?

"Does this audiophile voodoo really belong here?"

One problem is that sometimes (not necessarily in this case) what is 'audiophile voodoo' and what is 'real' are no more than two different opinions. One opinion may be more informed than the other, but that doesn't always make it right. There are some things an EE education might lead one to dismiss as audiophile voodoo when in fact if one bothers to listen it turns out something is going on that is not given by the idealized model in the EE's head.

My present policy is to be dubious of such claims, but to defer further judgement.

what a ridiculous thing. not only is it an OCXO that is promptly ruined by crappy PLL, it appears its PSU is headlined by tps7A4700 and some even more vanilla LDOs. now, while a reasonable regulator, its hardly top shelf for a clock, particularly in this average layout for it. the other thing, not only is it redundant, the UFL connectors and cable termination is dubious, to non-existent. they removed the clocks and just soldered directly to the clock pads and call that an improvement?