Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Good idea to share the cost of the latest update with a group of diy people living in the same country to send it around during a few weeks.
Publish the results here and tell us if the designer was not exaggerating when he used the diy audio marketing tool to convince us this improvement cannot be missed and it will take at least 2 or 3 years to make it any better.
It could very well be that the 0,05% will sound better than the 0,001%. If it would be this simple there would be a lot more good gear around.
Greetings, eduard

Hello,
Good idea to share the cost of the latest update with a group of diy people living in the same country to send it around during a few weeks.
Publish the results here and tell us if the designer was not exaggerating when he used the diy audio marketing tool to convince us this improvement cannot be missed and it will take at least 2 or 3 years to make it any better.
It could very well be that the 0,05% will sound better than the 0,001%. If it would be this simple there would be a lot more good gear around.
Greetings, eduard

I might be in the minority here when it comes to my take on the frequency of new products being developed by Ian, but I like the constant small updates. For me, audio tweaking is a hobby and a bit of a luxury if I am honest. I don't 'need' any of this stuff and I take equal enjoyment from the electronics upgrading process as I do from the actual music listening.

Actually, that isn't entirely true. While I am actually soldering and taking things apart and building, I always look forward to it but when I'm doing it I hate it. Then when I'm done, I forget I hate it. What I enjoy is the planning and most importantly, the anticipation. Getting on Ian's Github and reading through all the documents and thinking of options, then getting on Mouser and ordering things and waiting for the mail, it is the anticipation which is the best part. Then when the part comes in and I install it, I get my dopamine fix and when I'm listening to it I will get excited to have made the sound just a bit more clear or dynamic.

But like any junkie, I have to admit that I do enjoy the build up and the first listen. Then the magic wears off and after a while my mind is searching for the next 'upgrade.' Now, the upgrade doesn't have to be big, like a new amp or speaker, it can be small like an IEC connector, but my audio junkie mind will probably want something. This is why I appreciate Ian's frequency of product development, because it always gives me something to look forward to.

But I feel this way because I know that this hobby makes no financial sense. It is an impractical use of money, and a lot of money can go out the window very quickly and it can absolutely lead to an addiction. I think many people in the audio world are actually addicted to the dopamine and that is why you see some rich audiophiles swap equipment that costs tens of thousands of dollars within 3 to 4 months. They got their fix and they are 'moving on.'

I don't want to allow myself to get to that point, because that is big money. But the DIY world is filled with less expensive little tweaks, which I think if spaced out properly, give the same sense of excitement as those big purchases.

So in a way, Ian's products are kind of like 'micro dosing' and the rate at which they come out leave me just satisfied enough to not go into withdrawal but also have something to look forward to. Again, we don't necessarily 'need' to purchase every release, but thinking about purchasing every release sure does feel good doesn't it?

Allen

This ongoing debate, has IMHO produced some constructive advancement. Andrea's early criticism of FIFOPi suggested that LRCK signal was being passed by FIFOPi with less fidelity than MCLK. He maintained he had a product in development that would be superior. Ian responded by launching Reclockpi. As a user of WTMC, FIFOPi and Reclockpi, I found this to produce music that in my ear sounded more pleasing. It allowed me to get this benefit without scrapping everything I had built around FIFOPi to try Andrea's version.
Now Ian is questioning if the squarer that feeds FIFOPi is limiting performance. Sound like he intends to build an alternative. If it moves the bar forward we all can benefit. While the measurement debate seems to be going nowhere in practice I think the only way to settle the question of whether the shape of the square wave matters will be to produce one and let people judge whether it produces sound that is different and if it is more pleasing.
I listen to Nelson Pass discuss his design process. Of course it all starts with theory and measurements, but at some point he builds some prototypes. A group of trusted listeners decide which one will sound the most pleasing to the biggest market, and then the product gets launched.

Yes, it’s true. Sometimes a good discussion or debating will benefit all of us. New design ideas could arise and more improvements could be made. Concepts and principles could be dug deep with better understanding. But I’ll neve take it personal. Just as a technical discussion.

I’d like to express my thanks to Andrea for keeping his great jobs and efforts on developing awesome clock solutions and making them available for the community.

I’m a loyal customer of his. I joined almost all of his GBs. What I’m doing right now is just trying to get the best out of his new TWTMC clocks . I know power supply would be another key thing. So besides the sine to square wave converter, the UcPpure 3.3V and 15V 3000F pure ultra capacitor power supplies are also on my R&D list. Though they look a bit crazy, I have to say 3000F ultracapacitors could be the best power supplies in the real world.

Should I also thank Andrea for arguing with me?
Of course!

Have a good weekend.
Ian

Andrea continuing to derail threads by responding to any and all constructive criticism with straw men and deflections, how terribly consistent with his posting behavior as of late.

What can I say, I am profoundly disgusted, but not surprised. Smearing anything and everything that looks like a honest attempt to debate is Andrea’s standard MOP.

Ooh! Heretic words! Burn him on the stake!

Dear Julf...as you know and always apply, detail is everything...;)
and whilst I subscribe to your opinions I feel a need to correct you here...:)

Burning on a stake does not work....the stake burns through and collapses leading to incomplete combustion of the nominated poster...:p

The correct wish is to be burnt at the stake.
c/f Jeanne d’Arc

:eek:

Last edited:
Dear Julf...as you know and always apply, detail is everything...;)
and whilst I subscribe to your opinions I feel a need to correct you here...:)

Burning on a stake does not work....the stake burns through and collapses leading to incomplete combustion of the nominated poster...:p

The correct wish is to be burnt at the stake.
c/f Jeanne d’Arc

:eek:

Ah, yes, thank you for the correction. At times it shows that English is my third language, and that I have to work in four different languages. Prepositions (and idioms) sometimes get mixed up when quickly switching languages (especially if I haven't had my second cup of coffee).

Anyway, there are fortunately many ways to skin a heretic.

Well said @WuBai. If you are in the minority I am at your side. I often reflect that my audio projects consist of 3 phases.
1. Months of planning, research and anticipation,
2. Hours of actual execution often with questionable craftsmanship, followed by
3. Months of appreciation and self congratulation:D

Yes, it’s true. Sometimes a good discussion or debating will benefit all of us. New design ideas could arise and more improvements could be made. Concepts and principles could be dug deep with better understanding. But I’ll neve take it personal. Just as a technical discussion.

I’d like to express my thanks to Andrea for keeping his great jobs and efforts on developing awesome clock solutions and making them available for the community.

I’m a loyal customer of his. I joined almost all of his GBs. What I’m doing right now is just trying to get the best out of his new TWTMC clocks . I know power supply would be another key thing. So besides the sine to square wave converter, the UcPpure 3.3V and 15V 3000F pure ultra capacitor power supplies are also on my R&D list. Though they look a bit crazy, I have to say 3000F ultracapacitors could be the best power supplies in the real world.

Should I also thank Andrea for arguing with me?
Of course!

Have a good weekend.
Ian

Hi Ian,

although we can have different point of view, I can only say that in the end we both contributed to this forum by making available to the audio community several devices and above all affordable devices.

Unlike those who are only capable of offending and attacking personally, even though their contribution is almost nil.

Andrea

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Disgusting he said... wow, what a good countryfellow !

What can I say, I am profoundly disgusted, but not surprised. Smearing anything and everything that looks like a honest attempt to debate is Andrea’s standard MOP.

Me I'm disgusted with your 2 cents moral :( and the honeyed posts that come after that sounds pure marketing ethic blah. Bad business ??? Just don't do it !

We need all to make a world :cool:. From my point of view I don't like the people that makes the worse things with a contrition talking that looks polite despite the facts... very North America culture, as far the talking stay equal polite average you can say the worse thing between the lines. I sincerely believe what you don't like is the form, not the meaning. Not all people and culture is made like your's... that's life. In many countries where culture have more good "maneers" than your's, saying the "things" can be a respect mark, yeah !

I prefer sinceer people who peaks sometimes than pure hypocrites honey sided with the gun behind the back with the wallet in the other's !

I'm "customer" of both. Ik sorry for the off topic, that's the word "disgusting" that makes me react. But if you travelled a little in your life I think you should be more... moderate and understand people may be different but still be great. Though I respect a lot the sincerity of your talk, you have with mine an equal answer to that.

Last edited:

Dear Ovidiu,

here the disgusted one should be me since you keep attacking me personally.

This thread was started by someone (not me) "to fight the jitter using an asynchronous FIFO".
This means that in the FIFO you must necessarily use a better clock than the one of the source, otherwise the jitter at the output of the FIFO will be equal to or worse than that at the input.

But of course you keep attacking me personally and insulting me by claiming that a better clock is useless.
Indeed you wrote that there are no audible differences between a 30 cent chinese clock and a better one.
Therefore, in your reasoning, since the source surely has at least a 30 cent chinese clock, then the FIFO is useless and this thread does not make sense.

However I am not disgusted by your personal attacks, in fact I am having a lot of fun.
So keep it up.

Andrea

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Can you imagine how much good wine you can buy sometimes by just skipping the latest upgrade. Always drink some good wine when enjoying music and the music will give you more joy.
You cant play records while being intoxicated but you will have to be pretty absent to not be able to find the next item to stream.
Greetings, eduard