Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Disabled Account
Joined 2020
Finally complete :)

Beautiful stuff. It's amazing how quickly you are up and running.

I just started the process of ordering tools and batteries for the StationPi/MKIII setup. Hope to tackle the learning curve in about a month or two. I'm in no rush as I'm focusing on the portable FiFoPI setup ATM, and planning to get a ReclockPi if released since I need another FiFo. I allocated my desktop FiFoPi to my portable FiFoPi project, so need a replacement.

I noticed you are powering 5V via the TransportPi and not the FiFoPi. Is that the optimal or just enough to get things running?

I planned to 5V power to both TransportPi and FiFoPI for my StationPi setup, but unsure now if that's necessary. Or even if that would cause a conflicting power issue.

On my portable FiFoPi setup, I'm running 5V into the FiFoPI right now. Nothing into the TransportPi, so I might change that up if that's more optimal. I was also considering just 5V powering off GPIO and nothing into the FiFoPi or TransportPi if there is room since I have to keep the height reasonable.

Last edited:
Thx A123 :)

Everything is connected according to the different manuals, we went (hopefully) for the best options that Ian indicates in the manuals.

My brother (nickname Chelseapigui) is the brains of this build, he may want to explain the technical aspects.

I just started the process of ordering tools and batteries for the StationPi/MKIII setup. Hope to tackle the learning curve in about a month or two. I'm in no rush as I'm focusing on the portable FiFoPI setup ATM, and planning to get a ReclockPi if released since I need another FiFo. I allocated my desktop FiFoPi to my portable FiFoPi project, so need a replacement.

I noticed you are powering 5V via the TransportPi and not the FiFoPi. Is that the optimal or just enough to get things running?

I planned to 5V power to both TransportPi and FiFoPI for my StationPi setup, but unsure now if that's necessary. Or even if that would cause a conflicting power issue.

On my portable FiFoPi setup, I'm running 5V into the FiFoPI right now. Nothing into the TransportPi, so I might change that up if that's more optimal. I was also considering just 5V powering off GPIO and nothing into the FiFoPi or TransportPi if there is room since I have to keep the height reasonable.

Disabled Account
Joined 2020
MagicXtal Options

This is probably the worse time of the year to ask this, but if something is off with the below please let thou know. Doesn't have to be soon, anytime is 2021 would be great.

I might do a spontaneous clock purchase in 2021 for my portable FiFoPi, Redbook only. No Hi-Res. Will run just a single clock. The [Confirmed] is based off of what I picked off from the Pulsar clock datasheet. I will send the Pulsar clock datasheet to MagicXtal to make sure all the variables line up, but some of you experienced folks might notice something us laymen cannot.

MXO37/14P @ 11.289600 MHz

Implementation type
  1. 14 DIP * [Confirmed] ("Case Pinout DIP14 Compatible" & "Shock 30g1⁄2sine11ms")
  2. SMD
  3. 14 DIP 500G Shock
  4. SMD 500G Shock
Temperature Range
  1. 0ºC..50ºC * [Confirmed] ("Operating Temperature 0°C To +50 °C")
  2. -10ºC..60ºC
  3. 0ºC..70ºC
  4. -20ºC..70ºC
  5. -30ºC..70ºC
  6. -40ºC..85ºC
  7. -55ºC..85ºC
  8. -60ºC..85ºC
Stability over temperature ??? No clue... Datasheet === "Frequency Stability vs. Temperature ± 0.1 ppm @ + 25 °C". MagicXtal PDF specs mention "±1.0 ppm" as default.

1. ±1e-9 A, B, C, D, E
  2. ±2e-9 A, B, C, D, E, F
  3. ±3e-9 A, B, C, D, E, F
  4. ±5e-9 A, B, C, D, E, F, G
  5. ±1e-8 A, B, C, D, E, F, G, Q
  6. ±2e-8 A, B, C, D, E, F, G, Q
  7. ±3e-8 A, B, C, D, E, F, G, Q
  8. ±5e-8 A, B, C, D, E, F, G, Q
  9. ±1e-7 A, B, C, D, E, F, G, Q
Aging per day/year, ppb/ppm (Specification) ??? No clue... Datasheet === ""Ageing Per Day ± 0.005 ppm" & ""Ageing Per Year ± 0.1 ppm first year". MagicXtal PDF specs mention "±0.1 Per Day" & "±0.015 Per Year" as default.
  1. 0.1/0.015* [≤10 MHz]
  2. 0.2/0.02 [≤10 MHz]
  3. 0.3/0.03 [≤10 MHz]
  4. 0.5/0.05 [≤20 MHz]
  5. 1/0.1 [≤40 MHz]
  6. 1.5/0.15 [≤50 MHz]
  7. 2/0.2 [≤120 MHz]
  8. 3/0.3 [≤120 MHz]
  9. 5/0.5 [≤150 MHz]
Supply voltage (Specification)
  1. 3.3V±5% * [Confirmed] ("Power Supply Voltage (Vcc) + 3.3 Vdc ± 0.15 V")
  2. 5V±5%
Output (Specification)
  1. HSMOS * [Confirmed] ("Output Waveform HCMOS"). Note: HSMOS must be a typo in the PDF. HCMOS is also mentioned in the MagixXtal PDF, just the Options checkbox [HSMOS] I believe is a typo.
  2. Sine wave

Height? I believe I read you can lower the height somewhere. Need to check the PDFs again... I really don't want to have to add a GPIO extender to connect the TransportPi. :hphones:

Last edited:
To rule out that the Mute problem is power supply related (ground), I removed the separate RPi power supply from the RPi power connector on the StationPi and also connected it to the 5V connector of the LifePO4 Power Supply, conclusion is that the problem is not here and the Mute problem still exists.

Supporting picture,

Best regards,

Mario

https://picturepush.com/public/16342839

Last edited:
@A123,
5V is Powered via stationpi, output is from Linear power supply Supported By supercaps going into FiFo via GPIO
Wallmount Raspberry powersupply (5V) is used to feed J3 on stationpi, recommended by Ian in stationpi manual and in this way completly isolated from 5V clean side.

First 3.3V battery supply with super caps is powering FiFo clean side.
Second 3.3V battery supply with super caps is powering transportpi with onboard ldo bypassed, IN/OUT is bridged by wire.

Disabled Account
Joined 2020
@A123,
5V is Powered via stationpi, output is from Linear power supply Supported By supercaps going into FiFo via GPIO
Wallmount Raspberry powersupply (5V) is used to feed J3 on stationpi, recommended by Ian in stationpi manual and in this way completly isolated from 5V clean side.

First 3.3V battery supply with super caps is powering FiFo clean side.
Second 3.3V battery supply with super caps is powering transportpi with onboard ldo bypassed, IN/OUT is bridged by wire.

Cheers to you and your bro for taking the time to explain.

After re-reading the manuals, it occurred to me I got my portable and StationPi project mixed-up. I looked over your photos again and yes, this is exactly how I plan to wire the StationPi (3x3.V) + 5V all with supercaps. I forget since I'm so focused on the portable FiFoPi project.

For my portable project, I'm limited by constraints since I have to stack the RPi + FiFoPi + TransportPi together the traditional way in a small case:

images

So for this portable project, I'm feeding 5V & 3.3V into the FiFoPi via a single A123 26650 battery. I can rule out 5V into TransportPi now because that won't improve things. Only 3.3V LiFePO4 would be optimal in this situation and that's not possible to keep it portable. I have to sacrifice optimal SQ for portability for this project.

My other option is to feed 5V via GPIO removing the 5V from the FiFoPi, but don't know if that's possible yet due to fit issues. I need to file down the inside of the case in January to know if this is possible.

In any case, it still sounds great the traditional route. I cannot wait to try out separating the clean and dirty sides + supercaps with the StationPi.

Last edited:
Hi guys , just recieved my Station pi and am finding the above discussion of the number of psu's confusing.
i have a pi 4 , fifopi3 and a Transport pi. I use a Shanti to power the pi and a 3.3v IC psu and caps to power my fifopi 3 and and transport pi.
My intention was to use the 5v from the Shanti to power the pi4 on the station pi J3 and feed 3.3v into J5 TO POWER THE Q3 and transport pi. From what I have read above it seems to suggest that I should use the 2x 5v supplies from the Shanti to J3 AND j5 and power the q3 directly to its onboard connectors with the 3.3v the IC psu and supercaps. Is that correct?
Help :) ?

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2020
Please ignore my posts. I am a noob here and have very niche requirements since I'm building a portable 2TB microSD FiFoPi system. I want to enjoy Ian Canada's products everywhere I go outside the house. It also works well inside the house if I want to listen on the balcony, recliner, bed, upstairs, downstairs, etc.

So my posts maybe confusing to some.

My initial plan was just to build a StationPi system, but after receiving the Goodies I noticed the size is much smaller IRL than in the photos so I forked a portable project.

I'm now building two projects:

Portable Project (Redbook Only):
  1. RPi3 A+ (256MB RAM Buffer)
  2. FiFoPi Q3
  3. TransportPi
  4. "Pulsar" Clock
Outdoor Power
  • 5V into FiFoPi J3 (Single A123 26650)
  • 3.3V into FifoPi J5 (Single A123 26650)
Indoor Power
  • 5V into FiFoPi J3 (Single A123 26650 + UcConditioner 5V SuperCaps)
  • 3.3V into FifoPi J5 (Single A123 26650 + UcConditioner 3.3V SuperCaps)

StationPi Project:
  1. RPi4 8GB (4GB RAM buffer)
  2. ReclockPi
  3. TransportPi
  4. Accusilicon now and later Pulsar, NS2 or Andrea Mori Clock
Power
  • 5V into StationPi J3 (LiFePO4 MKIII SuperCaps)
  • 3.3V into StationPi J5 (LiFePO4 MKIII SuperCaps)
  • 3.3V into FiFoPi J5 (LiFePO4 MKIII SuperCaps)
  • 3.3V into TransportPi J3 (LiFePO4 MKIII SuperCaps)

My mind is so focused on the portable project and not giving any attention to the MKIII/StationPi ATM so it gets confusing on the power requirements, so I might end up confusing others... Once I start back on the StationPi project, I should be back in focus.

If you look closely @holco 's StationPi photos, it's close to how I plan to implement once I start up the StationPi project:

20201228-214210.jpg

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2020
Q A123,

Your system looks great!

Enjoy!
Ian

That honor goes to @holco and @Chelseapigui (brothers).

Their system and their photos from the previous page.

I just used the photo to illustrate the proper way to implement the StationPi.

One can get confused powering the StationPi utilizing dual 5V when one 5V and one 3.3V is more optimal. If one has not followed the discussion and clarification before StationPi launch they may take the dual 5V route by default since 5V is stated on the PCB.

My batteries just arrived so planning MKIII build in a month. I'm grinding away at a portable FiFoPi build. Literally, grinding. Filing inside portable case to make space for FiFoPi.

Looking to upgrade audio transformer if anyone has suggestions to replace the Pulse PE-65612NL. Lundahl 1572?

https://www.lundahltransformers.com/wp-content/uploads/datasheets/1572_1573_1589.pdf

Last edited:
Need Assistance to play Native DSD512 from BridgePi to Topping D70

Dear Ian & Guys,

First of All, Happy New Year 2021 !

Thank you @iancanada for the great stuff & great service, FIFOPi Q3 definitely an upgrade to Q2 and waiting for ReclockPi. All stuff arrived just in time for the Holiday Tinkering :D

The project went smooth (well most of it ;)), but I need assistance as I still can not play Native DSD512 (direct download file from NativeDSD website, not upsampled) from my stacks despite replicating all the Firmware & Software settings indicated by Ian's post #5251on 4th of July.

I can play smoothly all the way to Native DSD256 (with Pops on DSD File :p) but not Native DSD512. I can get sound but it is really just a Distorted Music with schreecing noise.

@iancanada has been so kind to assist during the holiday and even got me in touch with Domenico from Amanero, but the problem persist

Stacks consist of
1. RPi (with latest Volumio image)
2. BridgePi with USB Amanero Combo384 and latest FW (CPLD_1082 & CPU firmware_2006be15r2/6/7) as recommended by Domenico
3. FIFOPi Q3 + TransportPi
4. DAC: Topping D70

The connection are:
RPi > USB Cable > BridgePi (with Amanero Combo384)
+ FIFOPi Q3 + TransportPi (I do connect DSD_EN/GND pin on FIFOPi Q3 to SIG/GND pin on TransportPi or else no sound on DSD to my DAC)
> I2S via HDMI Cable > Topping D70 DAC

I can play Native DSD512 with my Roon Core (Windows 10) and also from RPi (both as Roon EndPoint and playing local files using Moode Audio) directly connected to Topping D70 DAC via USB Cable. Smoothly and NO POPS & CLICKS whatsoever.

I have also installed Volumio as music player and try to play Native DSD, the result is the same, all good up to Native DSD256 but schreecing sound on Native DSD512

I also have try 2 units of Combo384 board, in case the first one is broken, but both resulting the same.

Next based on tips from Domenico, I do simple HW test by directly hear music from Combo384 pin using earphone by connecting the DATA & GND Pin directly to my 3.5mm earphonea jack LEFT/RIGHT & GND connector. AND I CAN hear music nicely in Native DSD512 with such test.

I also get the same positive result when I connect the Combo384 with BridgePi and connect pin 40 & 3 to LEFT/RIGHT & GND 3.5mm jack connector there is music in Native DSD512 via earphone.

So the 2 Combo384 boards, CPLD and CPU FW setting should be ok.

Now I am lost :confused::D,:scratch1:

Hope @iancanada or any of you guys might have tips or same experience where would I miss or must check further??

@iancanada, I recall you have Topping D90 which come with AKM Chip, have you tried the stacks play Native DSD512 feeding I2S to Topping D90? how was the result? On side note, did you also experience the same POPS on Native DSD from the stacks with Topping D90?

Sorry for the long thread, hope any body can help

Many Thanks

Best Regards

Hi Ian,

best wishes for 2021 to you and everybody and thanks for your efforts to the audio lovers community.

Inspired by Supersurfer, I used last week some old stuff around.

My current setup is now RPI4 in a alu-box, a 40cm calble to FifoQ2, stacked with Allo Isolator and FiFoQ3 with standard clocks. I used the new UltraCap Conditioners for 3.3V and 5V. This UC gives a clearly audible upgrade.
The 5V feeds the FifoQ2 (and the RPI4) and also the 5V on the DDDAC1794 4deck, the 3.3V UC feeds the J3 of both FifoQ2+Q3 and the 3.3.V on the DDDAC1794.

In my system the sound is more fullbody and though refined, better micro dynamics, more 3D when compared with a single FifoQ3-RPI4-DDDac1794 or even the double FifoQ2+Q3. I still used the standard clock, because my Accusilicon burned last year.

The good news is that I await the new
Andrea Mori clocks, which will bring my system to even a higher level.

Attachments

• IMG_20210103_160321.jpg
    IMG_20210103_160321.jpg
    1,014.7 KB · Views: 231
Disabled Account
Joined 2020
Looking to upgrade audio transformer if anyone has suggestions to replace the Pulse PE-65612NL. Lundahl 1572?

https://www.lundahltransformers.com/wp-content/uploads/datasheets/1572_1573_1589.pdf

Ignore. Hard pass. Found answer here:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-...essions-tweaks-mods-hints-56.html#post5836390

On another note, if using a IR Receiver the default GPIO 25 works. I tried GPIO 4 and GPIO 18 and neither worked on the non-isolated side of FiFoPi Q3.

@A123
To be clear, are you looking to replace the Pulse 65612 in your TransportPi?
Perhaps I am wrong, but the post you linked to looks like it is related more to the LL1544A I/V Transformer output stage.

To address your question though (assuming TransportPi), I have read (somewhere...) that other members have tried the Murata DA101C/102C and Newava S22083 (both available from large supply houses), with perhaps a slight preference for the Newava piece. I think that the Lundahl 1572 may work as well, though I haven't read anyone's impressions - maybe you will be the first?

I am assembling an IanCanada streamer (got my boards yesterday!) and will probably try the Newava piece after everything is running and I have had a good listen to the stock kit.

I am curious of your impressions if you do change these pieces!

Disabled Account
Joined 2020
@A123
To be clear, are you looking to replace the Pulse 65612 in your TransportPi?
Perhaps I am wrong, but the post you linked to looks like it is related more to the LL1544A I/V Transformer output stage.

To address your question though (assuming TransportPi), I have read (somewhere...) that other members have tried the Murata DA101C/102C and Newava S22083 (both available from large supply houses), with perhaps a slight preference for the Newava piece. I think that the Lundahl 1572 may work as well, though I haven't read anyone's impressions - maybe you will be the first?

I am assembling an IanCanada streamer (got my boards yesterday!) and will probably try the Newava piece after everything is running and I have had a good listen to the stock kit.

I am curious of your impressions if you do change these pieces!

@Johnny Canuck. Yes, it was something I was considering since reading about the possibility in the specs stating "Upgradable S/PDIF transformer" in the TransportPi manual.

I'm new to all this, so I wasn't aware Lundahl had such a diverse product range of transformers until a few days ago. I just assumed they just focused on S/PDIF transformers so I mixed up Lundahl 1572 (S/PDIF) with Lundahl 1527 (link, not S/PDIF). Nice catch, now it's back on my radar.

I did consider the Murata DA101C/102C and Newava S22083, but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort since it seems more like a sidegrade. The Lundahl 1572 though is another story. Unfortunately it's quite large for my current portable application, so I'm not sure it's a good fit fit-wise right now. I am willing to consider for my desktop project, but I may delay that until the Summer (It may make sense to wait for the ReclockPi). It's unknown right now if the ReclockPi is a standalone product or if the ReclockPi pairs with the FiFoPi. If both options are available, I would wait it out for the standalone. Please Ian, just take your time with the ReclockPi. Not in any rush since the FiFoPi is so enjoyable ATM.

My current upgrade plan for portable FiFoPi/TransportPi project.
  1. "Pulsar Clock" (Unknown, but will eventually attempt to purchase. Maybe too large for my portable application but I can use for desktop)
  2. Neotech Solid Core UPOCC Silver in Teflon 18 AWG Blue (Purchased, implementing this week)
  3. Lundahl 1572 (Reconsidering)
Congrats on receiving the boards. Look forward to how the Newava S22083 works out. I would order the Newava S22083 if it was on Mouser to bundle with other items, but cannot justify ordering a single item on Digi Key and paying twice the product price just for shipping ATM. I'll get back to researching the 1572 since I maybe able to justify.

The Ian Canada products exceeded my expectations, so I just want to maximise the experience and upgrade where I feel comfortable. If the upgrade gets too complicated I will not attempt, only if it's close to Plug N Play.

Please do let know how the Newava performs. If the 1572 is too large, the Newava maybe perfect for my portable application.

Last edited: