Assembled-AK4490EQ-II2S-DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The YJ4495SEQ finally arrived. But unfortunately the unit is stuck on COAX input and the sample rate reads _______. After looking at data sheets and connections, I'm thinking the micro controller is the culprit. :(
It is also going to need a new power supply to separate the AVDD and DVDD supplies.

Thanks oxygen22 for the schematic, big help, by chance would you have the controller/input schematic as well?
I have just received the Weiliang AK4495EQ board & the DIP filter switches & well a soft filter settings have no effect. Looks like the 4495 is in hardware mode (parallel) with SD pin & SLOW pin both low & not changing with dip switch settings. Anyone else experienced this?

If you have this version, there is a manufacturing error on the filter DIP switches.
I do not know what is the problem.
In this photo is corrected (dip switches replaced 2 jumpers)

Attachments

• AK4495.jpg
    AK4495.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 1,303
Thanx oxagen for schematic.
I am back from holidays and yesterday i goes trought dac do som changes ...
I changed low esr cap on analog 15V for normal type and near ic Audio grade type. underneath decoupling 100nF. On lm317,337 bypas cap also 100nF. Opamp is dual lme49990 into class a around 10mA. Analog dac supply regulators are now TPS7A...from Mravlcax and AVDD is splited frov DVDD. one is now 3,3V and other is around 6V because all caps are 6,3V. On Vref are 2*2pcs 1000uf/6,3V FP caps. After both TPS7A bust be ferrite beard or sound will be to fast and nervous. On 6V line i must give 4,7R instead of ferrite. TPS don*t like huge caps on output. It must be some resistance between in lines. On i2s line i soldered 47ohm resistors. Output on opamps is decoupled with 50-100R resistor.
Sound ... i must admit for that small board very good. I will leave it to burn it for days or two and give it to my friends to play with it and tell what they hear.
On schematic...uploaded. 3,3VLT1085 is not connected after 5V but in front.
3,3V AVDD GND must be connected to AGND star gnd!

Attachments

• ak4490.jpg
    ak4490.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 1,225
In my dac also not connected but after scope measurement ripple was enormous and sound is less dynamic and softener...jittery sounded. In comparisson to modified Minimax it was flat and to soft, nice easy sounded and full sound, but for me too simple sounded.
First i conected floating ground to 3300uf cap gnd ...riplle was much smaller...then tried another gnd point in the middle of dac star gnd and ripple was some less present than cap GND. So i left it there. BTW gnd and line is very noisy so that is reason why leave it appart as posibble from other power and gnd lines.
AD827 in wery energic and middle range full, bas powerfull but rolled. Lme49990 in aclass is more fine and microdynamic is much better. Maybe less powerfull but for me more linear across all the specter. I tried OPA1642, OPA1612, OP627 dual adapter, LME49720HA, LME49990 and LME49990 in aclass-5-7mA
Default filter setting is set to Short delay sharp rol off in scope seen as preringing setting, have anybody tried another filter and how it sound like....which is best? ... we can than rearanged and made it in that filter setting that sounds best. It is not easy to bend dac legs but it is possible.

Because AK4490 has selectable filter i want to try another filter settings that is recommended on another tread about the same dac.
It is not easy to do that but it is possible to do at least 2 settings. Default setting is Short delay sharp roll off filter, but recomended is Short delay slow roll off filter. If you want to try that filter you must cut the GND trace to pin 9 SLOW and connect it to pin 8 wich is in High 3,3v state. Sound become a little bit wider and relaxed soundstage is a little bit deeper and not so in front.
In scope you can see the first filter with big preringing and SLOW filter with small preringing and smaller postringing.
I have installed micro switch that i can now switch between 2 most favorable filter settings. It is not easy but goes. For another two settings it is not enough space to install another switch and you must bend leg 8 and can be broken.
In a week i will become also i2s spdif selector board and it is possible to try another source not just xmos converter.
Sound is very good i am very suprised. It is better than SUBBU DAC. It is more dynamic better microdetails. Bass is deeper and punchier. Of course my dac is modified with new material and regulators.

Attachments

• Sharp filter.jpg
    Sharp filter.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,071
  • slow filter.jpg
    slow filter.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 1,051
  • swtch ak4490.jpg
    swtch ak4490.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 1,065
Nice job, do you have a followup on the SPDIF selector

Bought 2 of these board for fun, impression on this is very good but hasn't heard the sound yet, also the design of this board doesn't has the PSN jumper (leg 13, serial/para mode for DSD playback), would love to get SPDIF input working

Because AK4490 has selectable filter i want to try another filter settings that is recommended on another tread about the same dac.
It is not easy to do that but it is possible to do at least 2 settings. Default setting is Short delay sharp roll off filter, but recomended is Short delay slow roll off filter. If you want to try that filter you must cut the GND trace to pin 9 SLOW and connect it to pin 8 wich is in High 3,3v state. Sound become a little bit wider and relaxed soundstage is a little bit deeper and not so in front.
In scope you can see the first filter with big preringing and SLOW filter with small preringing and smaller postringing.
I have installed micro switch that i can now switch between 2 most favorable filter settings. It is not easy but goes. For another two settings it is not enough space to install another switch and you must bend leg 8 and can be broken.
In a week i will become also i2s spdif selector board and it is possible to try another source not just xmos converter.
Sound is very good i am very suprised. It is better than SUBBU DAC. It is more dynamic better microdetails. Bass is deeper and punchier. Of course my dac is modified with new material and regulators.

Hi all! Just got this board from Aliexpress, connect it to my Banana Pro over I2S and no sound it all.... :(
Looking on board and saw that all pins for mode select (10, 11, 12) on ground - is it normal? In AKM datasheet I see that for 24bit I2S only pin 12 must be on groung....

Hi Mike244,

I'm not sure which board you have, but the one I have has pins 10 and 11 pulled high, and pin 12 grounded. My board is this one:

AK4490EQ AK4490 II2S DAC decoder board /AC15V 0 AC15V(15W) AC9V 10W Frss Shipping -in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

So far I'm quite pleased with the sound I'm getting from this board. I changed the electrolytics on the voltage reference pins to high values, I disconnected the analog output pins from the op amp and routed the outputs to a 6N16B vacuum tube output circuit adapted from Barbara Gerhold's Nitro DAC circuit, and I used the diyinhk USB to I2S converter:

XMOS Multichannel high-quality USB to/from I2S/DSD SPDIF PCB - DIYINHK

Hello, I'm interested in this family of DAC but I'm at the biginning. I'd like to know which board would be theorically better between this: AK4490EQ AK4490 II2S DAC decoder board /AC15V 0 AC15V(15W) AC9V 10W Frss Shipping -in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group and this: AK4490EQ DAC decoder! Official standard circuit! I2S / DSD input! Semi finished kit!-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group Furthermore: - both boards have dual rail power input: are they mandatory or alternative? - are they suitable for a connection via I2S to a Odroid C2? Thanks in advance.

Mike244, I think we both have the same board. My first sample of the board did not work, so the vendor sent another. I suspect the problem was caused by a poor soldering job and perhaps some broken through-hole plating. Before I fired up my second board, I touched up several solder joints to make sure the solder flowed all the way through the through-holes to the top of the board.

I looked at the manual for the Banana Pro. I believe you need to have these outputs (plus a ground connection) from the Banana Pro connected to the DAC:

CON6-P35 I2S0_LRCK PB07
CON6-P36 I2S0_BCLK PB06
CON6-P37 I2S0_MCLK PB05
CON6-P40 I2S0_DO0 PB08

Is that how you've connected it?

Joster71,

The first board you list requires two AC supplies, and the second one requires a DC plus an AC supply.

If you want to play with the various filters built into the AK4490, the second board is the way to go. You'd have to do some modifications on the first board to accomplish that. The first board does not break out the I2C connections. It appears to be possible to modify the board and connect, say, an Arduino to it, but that might not be so easy, The second board has a built-in microcontroller, but it might be difficult to get the source code. Depending on your goals, there might be other boards more suitable for experimentation (such as the diyinhk board).

I don't know anything about the Odroid C2, so, sorry, I can't answer that question. Have you checked the manual for the Odroid C2 regarding its I2S outputs?

Hi dhalbakken, thanks for your detailed answers. My goal is to assemble a sort of all-in-one network player for music also for study of this boards and chips. I'm looking for something with decent quality, good compatibility and not much problems (relatively, of course). From your words, I deduce the second solution will be better for the configuration features but do you yhink il also better for quality? I oriented my choice on Odroid because I red AK4490 need master clock signal and the Raspberry doesn't send it, differently from Odroid that has a dedicated set of pin for I2S connection. I'll delve your suggestions, even for the diyinhk board (what does it offers more?). Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.