Assembled-AK4490EQ-II2S-DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Spartacus, For starters I would probably change the 100uf axial's on it, and somehow separate the analogue and digital 3.3v rails to the Dac , looking at the Dac soldering it looks like both left and right grounding has been soldered together on mine, I don't know for sure but its not supposed to be that way according to AKM Schematic, I would say its a great way to preview this Dac, but I don't think you will get the best from this implementation on this PCB. but it still sounds amazing as is..
I have bought the DIYINHK 4490eq Dac which will tweak to the max because its based on the AKM schematic. I still love the sound of this Dac and would easily feel comfortable listening to it in a non critical system. I love AKM Dacs they sit nicely next to my TDA1541 :)

I did have the 4396 with direct out, but it never had the depth and smoothness of AK4399 yet another step up to AK4490 each generation sounds smoother to me.

Last edited:
Hi Spartacus, For starters I would probably change the 100uf axial's on it, and somehow separate the analogue and digital 3.3v rails to the Dac , looking at the Dac soldering it looks like both left and right grounding has been soldered together on mine, I don't know for sure but its not supposed to be that way according to AKM Schematic, I would say its a great way to preview this Dac, but I don't think you will get the best from this implementation on this PCB. but it still sounds amazing as is..
I have bought the DIYINHK 4490eq Dac which will tweak to the max because its based on the AKM schematic. I still love the sound of this Dac and would easily feel comfortable listening to it in a non critical system. I love AKM Dacs they sit nicely next to my TDA1541 :)

I did have the 4396 with direct out, but it never had the depth and smoothness of AK4399 yet another step up to AK4490 each generation sounds smoother to me.

I do have same experiences about AK4490 from Ebay.
I go cheap solution to check, if AK4490 sounds better than ES9018K2M.
To my suprise, it does produce very balanced sound, natural feeling, as someone stated before it is feelling of correctness.
My test is with external +-12V of a-class PSU for OP-amps.
Tried to connect ultralow noise TPS7A4700 5V PSU without modification of PCB, but result was not good. I feel irritated with it, i left original.
Diyinhk xmos es9018k2m combo sounds clean, dynamic with AD797 live sounding, but boring - like missing soumething.
With AK4490 i tested fer op-amps like OPA1642, LME49880, AD797, but i went back to original OP827.
SEPC capacitors would be good mod this PCB?

My little and short experiences,
Bostjan

I just purchased
YJ AK4495SEQ+AK4118+AD827 DAC decoding Completed board+LCD display-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
It looks like the best layout for mods and a great value. My favorite part is hooking up a transformer and you'll have a working dac. Then you can tweak it to see if it improves.
Im sure the AVCC supply will offer a great improvement.

I like this one too

Assembled Multifunction Board XMOS U8 Chip + AK4490EQ + JRC5532DD Headphone Amplifier & USB Asynchronous Audio USB DAC-in Headphone Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Hi

As by damuffin, i was looking at this board with great interest. I even see some kit pre assembled.. But even there, no review what so ever.
New AK4495 AK4118 DAC Decode LM49860 192K 24BIT free shipping - $262.00 : Enjoy in your hi-fi project, diy tube amp, amplifier diy, amp diy

The link from aliexpress are also way cheaper that what you can find over ebay. You can always took it and used a fast DHL or ups shipping...

But with this board, do we just need the xmos card, power supply board ? and transformer stage . ? I'm not quite sure of which part i will need and at the end, is a IFI nano can give better result or be about the same ?
Thanks

All you need is a transformer. The 7pin USB pushes the signal to SPDIF.(Not Optimal but sounds ok). Later you can bypass this connection and go I2S (different USB device) into the 4 resistors above the card input.

The YJ 32BIT 384K XMOS, looks like the best OEM option.

Last edited:
All you need is a transformer. The 7pin USB pushes the signal to SPDIF.(Not Optimal but sounds ok). Later you can bypass this connection and go I2S (different USB device) into the 4 resistors above the card input.

The YJ 32BIT 384K XMOS, looks like the best OEM option.

I use the DIYinHK's Xmos with I2S interface, it sounds quite good with my old AK4396, just bought an AK4490 from Ebay it's on the way, also for comparison an AK4495 from Aliexpress, it's much cheaper there. Both are on the way here.
I believe the AK chipset sounds quite good can "sound superior" to the ES9018 chipset. This supposition is from feedbacks from a no. of owners of ES9018.

Last edited:
i'll put my grain of salt here

i own the NFB-7

NFB7

which has an amazing noise floor (very good couple with my balanced tube preamp pre )

+ i own an L.K.S. Audio MH DA001

MH DA001

(again very good couple with my 2nd balanced tube preamp at the office)

link to multiples luckit wave io couple with fancy supply

ULN-PS2

well i did this hack couple of weeks ago:

heart-transplant

The AK4490 stereo dac win la palme d'or...

it's simply more forgiving on the garbage in (red book cd uploaded to daphile) and my beloved hdtracks.

more musical (makes my horn tweeter sing perfectly)

all of this from a basic transistor preamp (not from a handmade balanced pre)

C39MK3

all driving 3 times class d audio sds amp

SDS

more low end, sweet high from whatever you are throwing at it...

i can't wait to put my hand on a dual mono AK4490

Martin Gagnon

I got mine 4490eq today.
I have quickly take eye on it... i go on holidays and i have no time to deep resarch.
Have anybody tried to tweak it.
Some things that bothered me....
Opamp supply +-14v has no small decoupling cap from diode bridge till opamps. Low esr capacitors after Lm317,337 no decoupling cap on adj pin. So changing opamps with no decoupling will not bring real picture.
On Vref L and R are only 10uf caps...i have put another 1000uf FP under the board.
AVDD and DVDD are feed from one LT1085. Line is splitt with inductor. BUT!!!
ground AVSS is floating...it is not connected to any ground. Voltage across decoupling cap is 2,65V. Where do you suggest is the best point to connect it?
I have done some decoupling on opapmps so i also tried OPA627 biased around 10mA into class A and lme49990 also biased around 7-9mA into class A.
When i come back i will do TPSA...for 5V analog part and i will try it with higher voltage , because performance should be better. Will see and i will put another TPSA on 3,3 analog part and connect it to star ground. I have adp151 but input voltage is max 5,5V and it not appropriate for this design.
Sound...for this small board very good. More on warm side than on thin resolutive side.
I will also get jlsound dac and will see the difference.
Did anybody tried to connect I2s lines in a way GSGSGSGS not SSSSG?
Is there any big difference?
Have anybody any idea, where can i get I2S plus spdif input to I2S output selector board. What about Ian SPDIF interface board.
I have xmos with i2S and 2 more spdif signall that i want to use, and switch between xmos, bnc and toslink. And some input indicators and selector button to see the position.
Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.