Asathor - a JBL 4367 Clone

Joined 2010
Paid Member
@tubeglow49

"Ah Canada, "Europe" of the Americas, Ontario also has a nice mix of population density and nature compared to some other areas of Canada.... Toronto is a cool "real" world city. Nice place to live, ah I miss traveling"

I'll probably get ridiculed for this from those who live in the GTA, but between Toronto and Montreal, I'd always take Montreal. I've been led to believe that the Formula 1 crews and drivers like the Canadina Gran Prix because of Montreal.

Thank you, Rese66! For some reason PE doesn't stock that driver. The parts cost is fantastic. If you were going to enlarge the volume for a BR cab, would you stick with this driver, and if yes, what volume and tune would use? I'm considering this build, but I don't want to have to run subs. Glenn.

Hi Glenn!
Unfortunately, the Lavoce WSF 152.50 is not particularly suitable for bass reflex. It would take three to four times the volume. There would be much better woofers for bass reflex, for example the LaVoce WXF 15.800, which is currently being used by a friend for a 3-way speaker. But for that you would have to revise the complete x-over.

But the Asathor doesn't need a subwoofer either.
On paper, closed boxes often have less deep bass than bass reflex speakers, but in practice they offer significantly more than you would expect, because the room usually also helps.
What music do you listen to?
At a meeting we heard music with very deep bass (Infected Mushrooms, for example), nobody complained about a deficiency in the deep bass. A work colleague left the room because it was getting too much for her.:D
When I look at your nickname, you probably like more music that is handmade. The Asathor can do that really easily.

Hello Tubeglow,

you are right, I wanted to use the LaVoce WSF152.02 first because it works a little better in the closed box. Unfortunately, it was not available at the time of construction.
The differences are very small, however, the WSF152.50 has the slightly larger coil and can handle a bit more power.
I haven't tested the .02, so I can't recommend it, even if the woofers are very similar. Risking an uncertain result to save 28 € is not a very good idea I think.

Both drivers and the horn are very cheap at TLHP in France:
Compression driver Peerless DFM-2535R00-08, 8 ohm, 1-inch throat
Speaker Lavoce WSF152.50, 8 ohm, 15 inch
Horn Celestion H1-9040P, throat diameter 1 inch

So you should be able to stay below € 500 without any problems.
Yes, LaVoce and Hertz, together with Audison, belong to Elettromedia Italy.
In terms of sound, I am very surprised by the LaVoce. I honestly didn't expect him to play that well. It was originally planned to make a version with a better woofer, but the 152.50 plays so well that I don't see any need for it.

@LineSource:
Both Tymphany are acoustically very similar. The little one can be crossed just as deep, but because of the smaller voice coil, it cannot handle as much power. But it is more than sufficient for home use.
For example, the bigger one is in the K.O .:
Knock-Out-Knock-Out
The two drivers are very cheap, but they sound excellent. The developer at Tymphany used to work for a well-known PA manufacturer.

Thanks for the links,may be you can the
same with crossover parts.:)

@thimios
Here you can find the preassembled and tested crossover for the Asathor
Asathor WeichenSatz (Paar)-Asathor

or save 40€ or get better/differnt parts by building it yourself

This will show you the values you need to get for building your own
https://image.jimcdn.com/app/cms/im...1631479eec6c4fe6/version/1577747191/image.jpg
obviously per speaker so x2.

You can get everything you need for this build from THLP, all the drivers, crossover components and anything else you need. They are inexpensive but do not discount shipping and you need to request a quote, I believe they quoted me 35€ shipping, still good overall price. But it is one stop shopping.

@ prariedog

With all this talk about cars and racing my mind was primed and I read GTA as the videogame Grand Theft Auto instead. I had to stop a second and was debating if there was some old GTA and whether it was based in Montreal or Toronto, there was one for London, but that would be weird and then it hit, LOL.

Montreal is beautiful, but almost too European;) and my French is not very good so I would likely prefer to live in Toronto or Vancouver. The interior of Canada away from the real city is just a bit weird though. For an European those distances and the low population density are very odd. Also I had expected all Canadians to be lumberjacks and outdoorsmen and was really surprised that the average Canadian tends to not be as outdoorsy as I imagined;)

Still next to some parts of Russia, Alaska, Oregeon, one of the few regions in what I call truely wild forrests. Now if you combine that with big cities you have a magical place IMO. Hard to beat the big three in Canada if you like nature and can deal with the temps.
Cheers
W

@thimios
Here you can find the preassembled and tested crossover for the Asathor
Asathor WeichenSatz (Paar)-Asathor[/url

or save 40€ or get better/differnt parts by building it yourself

This will show you the values you need to get for building your own
[url]https://image.jimcdn.com/app/cms/image/transf/none/path/s72d3b302c13e9e1f/image/i1631479eec6c4fe6/version/1577747191/image.jpg

obviously per speaker so x2.

You can get everything you need for this build from THLP, all the drivers, crossover components and anything else you need. They are inexpensive but do not discount shipping and you need to request a quote, I believe they quoted me 35€ shipping, still good overall price. But it is one stop shopping.
Thanks!

There is also an overview of the shopping cart with Jantzen components at the Quint store. Of course, all comparable components from other manufacturers also work. Pay attention not only to the inductive value of the coils, but also to the resistance.

attachment.php

attachment.php

You may also find a local dealer who sells the components. Otherwise, I can also recommend TLHP, although I tend to support Quint because they were kind enough to provide the chassis for the Asathor.

@mateoJazz:
Of course. I have a distance of about 3-3.5m here, down to 2m I don't see any problems.

Attachments

• Asathor weiche warenkorb1.JPG
    Asathor weiche warenkorb1.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 1,582
  • Asathor weiche warenkorb2.JPG
    Asathor weiche warenkorb2.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 1,560
Hi Glenn!
Unfortunately, the Lavoce WSF 152.50 is not particularly suitable for bass reflex. It would take three to four times the volume. There would be much better woofers for bass reflex, for example the LaVoce WXF 15.800, which is currently being used by a friend for a 3-way speaker. But for that you would have to revise the complete x-over.

But the Asathor doesn't need a subwoofer either.
On paper, closed boxes often have less deep bass than bass reflex speakers, but in practice they offer significantly more than you would expect, because the room usually also helps.
What music do you listen to?
At a meeting we heard music with very deep bass (Infected Mushrooms, for example), nobody complained about a deficiency in the deep bass. A work colleague left the room because it was getting too much for her.:D
When I look at your nickname, you probably like more music that is handmade. The Asathor can do that really easily.

Do you have a link to the 3 way, if it's an open design? You hit the nail on the head...I'm primarily a listener of Miles to Maiden..tons of fusion ( RTF, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Aristocrats), a good amount of 60-70's prog, and classic rock. I listen to everything but opera, and only limited classical. Oh, yeah, horny horns..give 'em to me! I've got multiple sub setups, so that is an option. Great project that you've done! Thank you for sharing it! Glenn.

Thank you Glenn!
The 3-way concept is not finished, so far only the cabinets have been built. So I can't say too much about it yet, and there's a chance it won't be released if Alex isn't happy with it. The woofer (LaVoce WXF15.800) is placed on the side.

@ prariedog

With all this talk about cars and racing my mind was primed and I read GTA as the videogame Grand Theft Auto instead. I had to stop a second and was debating if there was some old GTA and whether it was based in Montreal or Toronto, there was one for London, but that would be weird and then it hit, LOL.

Montreal is beautiful, but almost too European;) and my French is not very good so I would likely prefer to live in Toronto or Vancouver. The interior of Canada away from the real city is just a bit weird though. For an European those distances and the low population density are very odd. Also I had expected all Canadians to be lumberjacks and outdoorsmen and was really surprised that the average Canadian tends to not be as outdoorsy as I imagined;)

Still next to some parts of Russia, Alaska, Oregeon, one of the few regions in what I call truely wild forrests. Now if you combine that with big cities you have a magical place IMO. Hard to beat the big three in Canada if you like nature and can deal with the temps.
Cheers
W

I lived in Montreal for 35 years (I was born there). I moved to New England 25 years ago because I just had had enough. Despite my excellent French, I was always l'etranger - the foreigner - as my parents were not Francophone. I grew to resent that attitude. That plus the moribund economy, my 53% marginal tax bracket, the 15.6% sales tax, the harsh winter and short (bug infested) summer and perpetually lousy roads.... That's not to say that Montreal has nothing to offer. Excellent food, very reasonably priced university, mostly compassionate police, fairly sane federal politics (provincial politics is another matter). But overall for me New England is more my taste.

Fyi the image posting problem at the beginning may have to do with using a german image hosting site...the world wide web stopped being "world wide" a while ago.

That came from my too little experience here in the forum. :innocent:I didn't know at the time that the pictures would disappear when editing a post. When I found out, it was unfortunately too late.
I uploaded the pictures directly from my PC to the forum and a few posts below it worked out quite well.

This is a great project. I am after something similar and this came up in my searches for a suitable woofer. I have the B52 clones of the QSC waveguide and some Celestion 1745 compression drivers I was planning to implement.

Ian going to consider this woofer heavily. Looks to be a good value, if not a little hard to source in Canada.