Argentines for the world!

Americans live in the U.S.A. Argentina is in South America, just like Peru. Canada is in North America, Guatemala in Central America. At least that's the view from here. :)

You have to give us poor "Americans" a break. We don't have another name. You-essiens? United Staters? Not nearly as elegant as "Argentine", eh?

In general terms, here we call Yankees or yanquis to all US native. I don't know if it is applicable to all US natives.

Outside of the USA everybody calls all US citizens yanks or yankees but I believe inside the US there is some kind of distinction ie yankee refers to the inhabitants of some states but not others.

In cockney rhyming slang US citizens are called septics as in septic tank = yank.
I can see how that might be offensive to all US citizens.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yankee is a term for people from the Northeast part of the U.S., so it's offensive to people from the Southern States, at least. But we understand if called that by people outside the USA as they don't know any better. I was called Yank in England plenty of times. In France they called me a "Rican" or "Amerlok" ;)

Do people in South America have slang names for Argentinians?

Argentina: Derived from the latin word argentum meaning silver.

Large, dominant male gorillas are also called silverbacks.

It would surprise me if other south american countries would not have slightly derogatory names for argentinians.
Europe is full of them like Krauts, Limeys, Frogs, Rosbifs, Island Monkeys, Huns, Spaghetties, Eyeties etc.

It would surprise me if other south american countries would not have slightly derogatory names for argentinians.

May be that they exists, but I unknow them. And also, sincerely, don't care them. here we have some for most of the foreigns: "gallego" for all spanishes (not only from Galicia), "tano" for italians, "brazuca" for brazilian, "bolita" for bolivians, "·paragua" (= umbrella) for Paraguayans, etc... More of them are friendly, other despective.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Here in Spain we are cruel. We speak bad of almost anybody. It's a strange country. Our famous sportsmen, actors and, in general, people with some amount of talent get funny nicknames. We don't respect anybody, we make fun of everybody. We have a sharp tongue and we use it a lot. We laugh a lot too. Name calling, rudeness ... I have no sensitivity for that. I got bored of making fun of people and then I started making fun of myself.

South Americans (of course) get no pity from us. In this case Argentinians are called 'shrinks', because of their way of speaking I presume. We also call them 'philosophers' in the negative sense, of course. If they are colored we just call them 'Indians' and be done with it.

I agree hate is way too strong a word.

Here in England being german I frequently got called 'hun' or 'kraut' but that is just banter infused with a good deal of respect for our football and economic prowess.
I also get frequently reminded of the outcome of WWI and WWII and the '66 World Cup which is always easily countered by two words: Penalty shootout.

But as always it very much depends on who says it and how.

The English term yankee, originated in the mid seventeenth century, because of Dutch arrived in New England, many of which were called "Jan", along with the term "cheese" ==> "Jan-cheese"
Here in Argentina, yankee is not considered pejorative, is almost a gentilic. ;)

Our sense of humor is very broad, and it is common between friends that some insults are a sign of affection! :D