Arcam Alpha 8 DEAD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
If the amp has been worked on before and you do not know its history then all bets are off... you have to start at the beginning.

R1 is one of a pair of parallel 0.22 ohm resistors. If they are burnt/open then the FET's have conducted heavily and have quite possibly failed.

I think you need to look the amp over visually and try and determine what work has been done and whether the correct value parts are fitted. The big question is whether the amp was OK before the recap.

Testing involves always involves using a DBT (dim bulb tester) to limit damaging currents.

It is a complex amp and one that is not very forgiving.

If the FET's have failed then typically they will read very low ohms between drain and source.

The left FETS have failed. The big R1 is intact but the LK-thingie beside it was burnt.
The amp worked after the Mundorf 10000uf was fitted. Problems arose after the 10 pieces of 25v 100uf was fitted as I understand it. Problems with the light staying amber and not turning green. As I left it on for a while it started blowing fuses.
I can´t figure out the original capacitor values so if anyone here has the amp maybe you can enlighten me. Or is the specs exactly as 7R?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The service manual seems to suggest the power amp stages are the same between the different versions.

The Alpha One / 7R/8R and 8P share a common
pcb. The circuits are very similar and the main
differences are the remote volume facility and extra
power output on the 7R and 8R and a switch to
bypass the phono stage to enable its use as an extra
line level input and the AV processor switch on the
Alpha 8R integrated amplifier. The 8P power
amplifier utilises the same power amplifier

The service data I was looking at was from HiFi Engine which is free to use (once you register).

HiFi Engine | Owners and Service Manuals

You would have to look at everything that might have been replaced in the past and determine if errors have been made. Also such things things as polarity of the caps need checking.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.