Apollo Construction Diary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Shin,

stunning stuff! nice design, fab renderings and most likely also sounding very good.

But may I vent one remark? The design language is great for the a-symmetrical look&feel of the monitor and the smaller floorstander but as the 'teardrop' shape of mid/tweet baffle is less pronounced (as the top is cut off) in the biggest system and that combined with the sharp angles gives it a somewhat 'odd' feeling.

Maybe have a d'appolito for mid and tweet but not for the woofer, so make it bigger than the smaller floorstander but keep the height lower than the current design? In similar fashion you could also do a d'appolito for the monitor as a model between the small monitor and the small floorstander.

Any thoughts/sketches/renderings for a stand for the monitor you would like to share?

Regards,

Huib

Last edited:
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Hi and thanks Huib,

Its a case of form following function. I wanted the MTM as close as possible whilst keeping the waveguide and minimising baffle width around the drivers. What you see is the most efficient way of doing that.

Any thoughts/sketches/renderings for a stand for the monitor you would like to share?

Not yet but its on the list.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
With the flagship of the three, is there any danger of the thing being prone to being knocked over? I mean it looks very tall and very heavy, if one were to push the top by mistake how much would it take for it to tumble off?

There's two M8 carriage bolts coupling the two halves together so the whole thing would have to be pushed over. Making the base wider would allow some extra margin for 'accidents' but something pretty serious would need to happen to knock it over. I can't envisage them being used at many parties for example!

Btw the height is approx 1.55m or 5ft so this isn't a huge design, its large yes but I'd consider huge to be 2m+

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
I wondered if they were bolted and thus more stable, or separate and easier to handle. Or does the bolting happen after they've been put in place?

Yep exactly that. After they're in place and with both mid drivers removed you can access the bolts. Alternatively you can skip the bolts and rely on only the four locating blocks to keep things aligned. Depends just how secure you want them. With kids around I'd definitely go with the bolts for peace of mind.

Making the base wider would allow some extra margin for 'accidents' but something pretty serious would need to happen to knock it over.

Definitely plan on idiot-misuse/abuse. ..and of course include very specific intended use/warnings + very specific limited warranty. ;) (..if sales are direct then definitely contact a specialized lawyer/solicitor about specific language relating to personal jurisdiction/defense fee indemnity/etc.. clauses for the transaction.)

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Definitely plan on idiot-misuse/abuse. ..and of course include very specific intended use/warnings + very specific limited warranty. ;) (..if sales are direct then definitely contact a specialized lawyer/solicitor about specific language relating to personal jurisdiction/defense fee indemnity/etc.. clauses for the transaction.)

Thanks for the tip Scott. I've briefly looked into that but to be honest there's million and one things left to do. One of which is a website. I bought a couple of web design books and am currently self teaching and its a bit painful to be honest. I've started making it using flash and now I'm not sure that's a good move at all. Search engines don't look inside flash content and since its 90% flash that kinda defeats the point!

I might go back to the start and redo in HTML5, the graphic effects will be lessened but maybe that's a good thing.

Is aiming for a base screen resolution of 1024x768 a sensible one? I can use frames to scale up for high resolutions but was wondering if this is what's common now or is it still 800x600?

Here's a static grab of the flash version

attachment.php

Attachments

• webbymcweb.jpg
    webbymcweb.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 1,247
Last edited:
Good clean CSS and jscript (HTML5) will produce a far more consistently usable website every day.

Also remember flash will not, ever, work on any iOS device, which now makes up a significant % of the internet connected devices.

1024x768 would be the lowest desktop resolution I would expect. Mobile device resolutions vary significantly, with HTML5 you can have CSS rules that will adapt the website layout to suit the device (and browser) being used.

I think, the graphic work you've done in flash should be generally usable in HTML5 and you won't need to redraw the icons, logos etc.

OK I didn't need much of a push really so I'm going to scrap the Flash version. At the start I could have gone flash vs. CSS3/HTML5. I picked wrong! Only wasted a few days there :D

IMO..Silverlight, with a low graphic content alternative option.

Silverlight does require downloading and installing, but it's pretty much painless for just about everyone. (..there are a few rare exceptions.)

..It's ooooooh so buttery smooth and elegant (..at least the few times I've been on sites with it.) :cool:

On of the key things however will be making sure it gets a good ranking (with a search) on google. That's an entirely different thing to learn. :eek:

http://forums.silverlight.net/t/163429.aspx

Note though that the above referenced Silverlight 3.. it's now 5 and there might be better integration.

Last edited:
SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is indeed a topic of its own in Silverlight. So far, there is no built-in way to make a Silverlight app search engine friendly. However, there are some workarounds that are all based on the same idea, namely to provide alternative, "crawler-friendly" content to web crawlers. Preferrably, this content is auto-generated so you don't have to maintain a "mirror" page manually, e.g. by transforming XAML into XHTML using XSLT, or by generating HTML from web service data in an aspx page

IMO just stick with CSS/HTML 5

Last edited:
IMO just stick with CSS/HTML 5

This.

The whole point of 'web' is that it should be device agnostic, any technology from microsoft will have a microsoft software optimisation built in. HTML5 is a buzz word for CSS/JS/HTML but since it is pushed by enough non-commercial interests it works pretty much everywhere other than old versions of internet explorer, which frankly you don't want to use anyway.

Although your website will not be very dynamic in the sense of continously changing content it still could be beneficial to base your website on a CMS like Joomla or Wordpress (and others).

CMS like those mentioned can be extended/customized with templates/plugins/etc to shape the look and feel to your likings and add functionalities like galleries/slideshows, often also other stuff is taken care of with a CMS like SEO and beeing 'Responsive'.

Am I allowed to make a small remark for you to think about regarding the text on your website example/concept? Who is your customer? and what does he/she want to read or learn, and on what will he/she be triggered to buy from you? Is talking about a specific brand of drivers or lead used to dampen of interest to the customer you target? Maybe lead usage is even putting people off :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.