Apogee Centaur Woofer upgrade

hifive said:
What is the sensitivity of centaur mini?. I'm using Naim 202/200 with 70wpc, is it a good match?

Hi,

Simply depends on what loudness you exspect. 150W a channel is
only 3dB more and barely makes much difference in max volume.

The Apogees are inefficient, and will not go loud with any amplifier.
The Naims should have no problems driving the low mid / treble
impedance and I'd say likely a better match than most.

:)/sreten.

I had Centaur Minors, fantastic upper mids & treble. But sold them due to lack of bass quantity and to some extent quality. .

In retrospect, and for you Rozz, why not handle up to 100 Hz with good sealed subs, eg Linkwitz sealed Thor subs - active . . simple build, SPL limited, but very low distortion & go down to 30 Hz

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/thor-intro.htm

Or better still, a dipole woofer, this one odd looking but great natural bass http://www.linkwitzlab.com/woofer.htm

btw, what's the sensitivity of the Centaur Major?

Cheers

If Vifas are used, you avoid spending any time or money redesigning the current professionally designed XO (though parts quality may be improved - at http://www.apogeespeakers.com/ see Projects).

Also if you divert time & money to getting good subs (compared to the 90s, high Xmax low distortion subs drivers are affordable) taking the bulk of the bass load from the Vifas (most of their work), should significantly improve their performance 100 - 800 Hz - the critical midbass - lower midrange, where most of the musical energy is.

Cheers

Centaurus Minor - Original Woofer T/S Parameters

Hello All,

Does anyone has the T/S parameters of the original woofer of the Centaurus Minor? I need them so i can choose a Focal Driver with parameters as close as that.

I want to start fixing my apogee speakers.

I currently have 3 x Pairs of Duetta Signature II, 1 x Centaurus Major, 2 x Centaurus Minor, and 3 x Diva's.

I will keep posting here my adventures if you are interested :)

Hi, just my 2c -late- in this conversation.

I own Centaur Minor in a rather good shape (bought them 15 years ago or so), and I swapped the Vifa P17WJ-00-08 to Dynaudio 17W75. Just had to enlarge the recess of maybe 1mm around circumference. Didn't change anything on the crossover (I expected that I should do it someday but wanted to spend some time listening to it first). To my ears, the bass quality was improved. Lower, more "impact", more details, great coupling with the mid/tweeter (I'd say a seamless curve). So I stayed like this (2 years now) and didn't try to improve anything to something that sounds good enough for me. I also own a pair of Stage (best small speaker I know), so I think I could tell if it wouldn't work so well on the Minors.

Precision: I use a small REL Quake sub bass system cut at around 40Hz, low gain. And my amplifier is a Cello Encore (double mono 50W).

I'm absolutely delighted with the result.
Enjoy your Apogees ;)

To go on with Apogee Centaurus Minor upgrade, I tried one that I've I read about somewhere some time ago: unscrew the terminal plug plate at the back of the speaker (just to let some air out when the woofer plays). Not a real port yet, just this reversible trick. What I can say is that it is very different that way. The bass sounds lower and tighter. It's like a different driver playing...

I did that because when I read the specs of the Dynaudio 17W75, it has a really high Qts, meaning that the damping is low, which is normally not suitable with a small (17 liters) close enclosure, but needs to be ported in such a small volume, or even with a so called infinite baffle. I wanted to try this small mod (just unscrewing 6 screws on each speaker) to hear the difference. And that's a whole different speaker now, better than I've ever been listening to.

If I go on with that surprisingly good result in different listening sessions (playing many CDs and radio), I could be tempted to open a real port (I've read it was an option suggested by Jason Bloom at the time), or going to a variovent (Dynaudio aperiodic damping device).

Any suggestions? or ideas?

I do like my Centaurus Minors more and more :D

As I mentioned in the other thread, Centaur Minor necessitates special attention to the bass dept. I use high current 150W class D dual mono amps, thick speakers, good interconnects, passive pre and DAC known for deep tight bass. The resulting sound is plenty of quality bass with nuances. There may be better 6.5" drivers out there for Minor but I have no urge to change out the original driver once I did the above. Just FYI.