Anyone try these new tweeters yet from Transducer Lab ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I like then trying Kevlar dome tweeter a 28mm beryllium dome is very interesting. And the ceramic with titanium voice coil former.
I had a visaton super horn tweeter with a self supporting aluminum voice coil wire. That is the way to go when you want mass reduction.

What wrong on hifi with gods blessing :D

Even some that aren't expensive, like Airborne. Very little info on them out there. How do these guys keep selling drivers. OEM?

FWIW- I've used both the FR213-B8-10M and FR173-B6-16L. Both sounded great! I've tested the HR104B8-15T by way of impedance only, and I don't think you can get a tweeter as cheap with the Fs it has.

I know of a couple other people who have tested the RT-4001, and it's a very solid performer for the $78 it sells for.

AFAIK- the Airborne drivers are from an OEM build-house, built either to Solen's specs, or to Airborne's specs and sold by Solen exclusively.

It's the same build house that makes the Zaph driver, and I'm sure more we're all familiar with.

Later,
Wolf

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
That is the way to go when you want mass reduction.

Having built plasma tweeters in the past, I don't feel that mass is the bigger issue. I couldn't hear too much difference than a good scan-speak tweeter.

I get the impresison that dispersion, then power compression are more important issues. I am willing to guess that these ceramics aren't much different to a good scan-speak tweeter.

What wrong on hifi with gods blessing :D

Nothing is wrong...but when he uses this on his commercial site it feels wrong.

BTW, alumina ceramic....that's cement, isn't it??

From the article:
File:Zobel (16) Zobel loudspeaker impedance correction.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When used to cancel out the reactive portion of loudspeaker impedance, the design is sometimes called a Boucherot cell

Boucherot cell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Zobel networks and loudspeaker drivers
Zobel network correcting loudspeaker impedanceSee also Boucherot cell
Zobel networks can be used to make the impedance a loudspeaker presents to its amplifier output appear as a steady resistance. This is beneficial to the amplifier performance. The impedance of a loudspeaker is partly resistive. The resistance representing the energy transferred from the amplifier to the sound output plus some heating losses in the loudspeaker. However, the speaker also possesses inductance due to the windings of its coil. The impedance of the loudspeaker is thus typically modelled as a series resistor and inductor. A parallel circuit of a series resistor and capacitor of the correct values will form a Zobel bridge. It is obligatory to choose because the centre point between the inductor and resistor is inaccessible (and, in fact, fictitious - the resistor and inductor are distributed quantities as in a transmission line). The loudspeaker may be modelled more accurately by a more complex equivalent circuit. The compensating Zobel network will also become more complex to the same degree.[3]

Note that the circuit will work just as well if the capacitor and resistor are interchanged. In this case the circuit is no longer a Zobel balanced bridge but clearly the impedance has not changed. The same circuit could have been arrived at by designing from Boucherot's minimising reactive power point of view. From this design approach there is no difference in the order of the capacitor and the resistor and Boucherot cell might be considered a more accurate description.

An LCR is not a zobel in loudspeakers. It may be in other components or applications, but not speakers or amplifiers WRT impedance.

Later,
Wolf

Hey thanks! Always wondered about those airborne drivers. May have to summon the courage to try them.

FWIW- I've used both the FR213-B8-10M and FR173-B6-16L. Both sounded great! I've tested the HR104B8-15T by way of impedance only, and I don't think you can get a tweeter as cheap with the Fs it has.

I know of a couple other people who have tested the RT-4001, and it's a very solid performer for the $78 it sells for.

AFAIK- the Airborne drivers are from an OEM build-house, built either to Solen's specs, or to Airborne's specs and sold by Solen exclusively.

It's the same build house that makes the Zaph driver, and I'm sure more we're all familiar with.

Later,
Wolf

...An LCR is not a zobel in loudspeakers. It may be in other components or applications, but not speakers or amplifiers WRT impedance...
Huh?

Hmm, if you read Thiel discussing loudspeaker crossovers "Zobel" is what he calls LCR correction of impedence.

Also according to the AES ( zobel site:aes.org - Google Search ), and various websites such as here (random example of what would typically find):

"Often an available amplifier is more comfortable with flat-impedance loads. In reality a loudspeaker has a complex impedance. To compensate for this, circuits can be designed and implemented. Probably the most common impedance compensation circuit is the so-called Zobel network, which has a few derivatives the simplest being the capacitor-resistor network. The full Zobel network would also compensate for the resonance impedance peak of the driver at the resonant frequency, Fs."

Now, I don't know if there might be something "wrong" with calling it a Zobel, but at least it seems that's what it's most commonly called, if they don't simply say "LCR", by both forum members and industry insiders? Maybe I don't understand precisely what point you were trying to make?

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Huh?

Now, I don't know if there might be something "wrong" with calling it a Zobel, but at least it seems that's what it's most commonly called, if they don't simply say "LCR", by both forum members and industry insiders? Maybe I don't understand precisely what point you were trying to make?

though both can be used to correct impedance, it could lead to confusion

a zobel is ususally known to be a cap/resistor combination
and in paralel with signal

LCR is inductor/cap/resistor, and could in series or paralel with signal
depending on what its supposed to do

btw, I knew about crossovers before, and zobels
but before I was a member here, I wouldnt have dreamt of calling it a zobel, in crossovers
I thought a zobel had to do with amplifiers etc
but Im ok with caling it a zobel in speakers as well

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.