Anyone going to the Dayton Hamfest?

Have to get you to the horns in Cincinnati 105db they play at 125 with little if any strain

I have several systems with vastly different SPL capabilities. My TSE makes 2WPC and plays through 87 db speakers most of the time. Max SPL is far lower than what I was hearing I have another system that runs 125 WPC through 97 db coaxials with a 15 inch woofer. That's loud. Rock concert in the living room kind of loud.

I want to get a copy of two of the records that were played. I grabbed a picture of one and I can find that. What was the name of the record that was recorded by the musician himself, and is it available anywhere. No hurry, my turntable and amp are in a box somewhere......I'm not even sure where right now, or when it will all be put back together.

Ohio weather has be crazier than usual this week.

The Dayton hamfest always serves up weird weather. This year was the worst that I can remember. 3 hail storms in one day....we dont even get that in Florida.

It's been rather strange 200 miles east of Dayton in west Virginia as well. Tuesday I was treated to a record breaking 92 degrees while spending the entire day outside. This morning I awoke to 36 degrees and it was still 37 at 8 AM. I had to mow about 1 acre with a push mower so the cold was a good thing......but by noon I was back to flip flops and shorts. My guess was mid 80's. No rain or hail though.

I have several systems with vastly different SPL capabilities. My TSE makes 2WPC and plays through 87 db speakers most of the time. Max SPL is far lower than what I was hearing I have another system that runs 125 WPC through 97 db coaxials with a 15 inch woofer. That's loud. Rock concert in the living room kind of loud.

I want to get a copy of two of the records that were played. I grabbed a picture of one and I can find that. What was the name of the record that was recorded by the musician himself, and is it available anywhere. No hurry, my turntable and amp are in a box somewhere......I'm not even sure where right now, or when it will all be put back together.

The Dayton hamfest always serves up weird weather. This year was the worst that I can remember. 3 hail storms in one day....we dont even get that in Florida.

It's been rather strange 200 miles east of Dayton in west Virginia as well. Tuesday I was treated to a record breaking 92 degrees while spending the entire day outside. This morning I awoke to 36 degrees and it was still 37 at 8 AM. I had to mow about 1 acre with a push mower so the cold was a good thing......but by noon I was back to flip flops and shorts. My guess was mid 80's. No rain or hail though.
Doctor joe. The OFFICIAL Crazy Joe Web Store, your EXCLUSIVE source for all Crazy Joe LP's, CD's, downloads, t-shirts, and more! From CrazyJoe.org and Tritschler Precision Engineering. and the youtube we spoke of Crazy Joe - Flight of the Bumblebee - YouTube did well with the tube i got from you 14 great 1 done 1 broke key and 1 weak all in all a great deal . :sing:

Also had a great time meeting George! It's always great to meet with someone to put a face with the web posts!

Wx was sure different in Dayton from the usual. Typically the last few years it's been too much sun. A very white boy like myself has to do all I can do to avoid being burnt to a crisp. Not this time! I'd barely picked up a jacket on my way out the door after the couple of 90 degree days just a few days before.

Scored a few tubes, a few nice RF cables...not much really. But always enjoy the excuse to do something different in any case and look for the elusive bargain. And meeting someone as nice as George certainly tops off the experience.

EV3

I haven't been to the Hamvention is several years now. But I do have a 25+ year record of attendance beginning in the early eighty's They used to hold it in mid April. I remember it once snowed while I was there. Another time it rained for two days straight. You sat in your vehicle all day waiting for it to stop. It didn't! And I've seen poorly anchored tents flying through the air from the horrendous wind gusts because it's so flat and open there.

I used to drive home with my vehicle packed with things I bought. That doesn't happen any more since eBay plus Al Gore ruining the Government surplus sales. Sometime in the early nineties they moved it to mid May in hopes of better weather. :rolleyes:

It's that time again....almost. Anyone going? I will be in the same place as last year. I will arrive Thursday afternoon for setup and leave Saturday at close. Sunday is "bottom feeders day" with very few vendors except those willing to unload their junk for cheap or free.

If you are going, stop by flea market spaces FW2338 and 2339 if you want to BS about audio, tubes or anything else. Sitting outside for 3 days can get pretty boring.

Not sure what to expect, some guys from Japan covered the whole swap meet in 8 Youtube videos. Link in Post #110

I have been going to Dayton on and off for about 20 years, but continuously for the last 7. Last year was the worst weather I have seen. It was cold, but I can handle that.....cold with rain, wind, and hail.....not fun. I got a gash in my forehead from a piece of someone's tent that came out of the sky at about 30 MPH. This year has to be an improvement.

My brother is the ham

I have an extra class ham license, and a radio in a box somewhere, but I haven't been on the air in about 20 years, except for a few sporadic periods.

I'm afraid those days are long gone.

Still It was a lot of fun two years ago.

I emailed my buddy with the plane to see if he is going and if all seats are taken. If so, I'll pm a couple of you going to find out where you are staying and see if I can still get a motel room near you.

It is always nice to meet new faces.

You might still find a rusty Citation in the lot, but it would be of the Chevy variety

Not going to happen. That would imply that there is a Chevy Citation somewhere in Ohio that still runs. Have you seen a Citation, Phoenix, Omega, or Cimarron lately.....I haven't. All crushed and melted!

I have not seen the HK variety at Dayton yet, but you do see vintage high end audio almost every year.....often for premium prices. I have even sold a few vintage audio pieces myself in years past.

Got my tickets, swap spaces, and parking permits in the mail last week. Barring a major disaster, I will be in the same place I have been for the past 3 years. Not much good stuff to sell this year. Still in the process of sorting out the mess created by moving everything twice since last year. All of Tubelab is still in storage until I build a new lab.