Anyone going to the Dayton Hamfest?

Most people who stayed to chat for a while left with FREE TUBES, free sweep tubes even.....who could complain about those prices. Power transformers for tube amps....$20, chokes $25, Transcendar SE OPT's $50 ....these don't sell well in Dayton because it's about a 1/2 mile walk to the parking area. I did sell several to other vendors.

I wanted to say thanks again for the 12AV5s, that box of small signal types and the half-dozen of those funky 7193s. That was terrific!

I start the long drive home tomorrow. I have an apointment with a home builder in northern Ohio, then it's a long drive south. Yes, the weather doesn't look too good.

Hope the weather's looking up. We had some rain here, but, forch, I was able to get the grass done. Grows like hell won't have it this time of year. Come later, it'll be a struggle just to keep it from dying out.

Alas I'm an urban person.

After 60 years of city life.....it's time for a change. The land we have is still only 1 mile from a small town and 75 miles from Pittsburgh.

Hope the weather's looking up. We had some rain here

Got lucky today. Left WV, drove back across I-70 to Columbus then north on I-71 almost to Cleveland, then took 71 to Cincy and I-75 south. I'm somewhere in the middle of Tennessee now and got maybe 10 minutes of rain the whole trip. I will spend a couple of days in Orlando before going back to work in Ft. Lauderdale on Tuesday.....overall a good trip.

I wanted to say thanks again for the 12AV5s, that box of small signal types and the half-dozen of those funky 7193s. That was terrific!

You're welcome. Even for $1 each nobody bought any of those tubes. I had a few hundred of the two headed aliens (7193's) and some 815's. I was going to make a funky looking steam punk type amp, but it never happened, so I sold them all last year. Those were the stragglers that escaped from the box. I still have 20 or so 12AV5's so I guess I'll have to "test" a few.

On WB I-80 -- there was a caravan of cars with various antennas -- on WB US422 near Parkman OH, the buggy caused a small traffic jam making a left turn -- they were probably at the DQ which opened for the summer:

Attachments

• Hamvention.jpg
    Hamvention.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 225
  • buggy-traffic-jam.jpg
    buggy-traffic-jam.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 226
I came up I-75 from Florida to Cincinnati this past weekend. There were already more than the typical few cars with call sign license plates and multiple antennas headed north. I will go to Dayton on Thursday. Dayton TV(WHIO.com) is promising "rain and more rain." Local TV (Steubenville) says "100% chance of rain Thursday, 80% on Friday.

I came up I-75 from Florida to Cincinnati this past weekend. There were already more than the typical few cars with call sign license plates and multiple antennas headed north. I will go to Dayton on Thursday. Dayton TV(WHIO.com) is promising "rain and more rain." Local TV (Steubenville) says "100% chance of rain Thursday, 80% on Friday.

Weather Channel and NWS both say only 30% chance on Friday and rain will end in afternoon on Thursday. We'll see.

Just got back from the Hamvention. Despite the cold temps and on/off rain it was a fun day. Met George (Tubelab) and Triodethom there; George hooked me up with a box of HV oil caps for an outstanding price (next to nothing). Thanks, George!
Best score for me was a Tektronics 2215 60MHz scope in great shape, with two brand new unused 10X probes, for $100. Got a dozen or so tubes (including two balloon 301As for $5 for the pair), and other assorted bits as well. All in all, a good day!

Last edited:
Despite the cold temps and on/off rain it was a fun day

Today was even better. We had the rain and cold, but we added high winds (gash in my forehead from flying junk) and hail. There were 3 separate hail storms, 2 of which I got caught in. The first had dime sized hail that came down for about 5 minutes. There was no warning and little rain, so I was busy covering my stuff with tarps while being pelted with stones. The second storm was like a single blast of a thousand frozen BB's.

I scored 26 sweep tubes, a Hammond P-P OPT, and an Akai Synthstation, all for a total of $92. I also got to hear a very nice stereo last night.

Today was even better. We had the rain and cold, but we added high winds (gash in my forehead from flying junk) and hail. There were 3 separate hail storms, 2 of which I got caught in. The first had dime sized hail that came down for about 5 minutes. There was no warning and little rain, so I was busy covering my stuff with tarps while being pelted with stones. The second storm was like a single blast of a thousand frozen BB's.

I scored 26 sweep tubes, a Hammond P-P OPT, and an Akai Synthstation, all for a total of $92. I also got to hear a very nice stereo last night.
Glad you enjoyed the system it does play louder . Have to get you to the horns in Cincinnati 105db they play at 125 with little if any strain . Miles was glad you came over. Regards :cool: