Anyone else build a pair of Shakti Hallographs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
fdegrove said:
Hi,

Exactly...
Now, why is that?

Because as a trained mechanical engineer this is something you can relate to and understand?

Do you see where I am going with you?

Cheers,;)

I dont quite see where youre going ?? Am I missing something here?

The resonance frequency theory is easily proven.....thats somewhat harder with a wooden stick behind the speaker.

Magura:)

tom1356 said:

Go out and get a decent system and a decent education in what it takes to reproduce sound. It will enlighten you.

Not that I wish to compare myself to Nelson Pass, but he for some reason never speaks of wooden sticks and the like.....why???

Because he dosnt need to feed his imagination to experince fantastic sound. Its right at hand.

If you cant achieve the sound quality you'd like, feeding your imagination may be the cure....just dont make claims based on placebo.

Why dont you take advantage of the fact that its DIY and make something that actually sounds good? Its really not that hard.

Magura:)

EDIT:

Pass also have obviously little interest in making money on us....he tends to be brutally honest, even if its not exactly putting his products in the best light.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

The resonance frequency theory is easily proven.....

That's only part of what's changed...there's more.

Not that I wish to compare myself to Nelson Pass, but he for some reason never speaks of wooden sticks and the like.....why???

Because it has nothing to do with what he does as a designer of electronics, after all it's not the pianobuilders' fault the acoustics in the concerthall are only so so...

Am I missing something here?

What I think you're missing here is that we all tend to dismiss as hogwash what we can't comprehend.

Remember that other thread about cotton insulation on speaker wire?
Granted, I made a bit of a mockery out of it because I know too that some guys are really looking for things that just aren't there...

Still, I'm more upset by the way they try to sell than what it is they're trying to sell as I can see the reasoning behind it, namely that some plastics can impinge a sonic flavour on the sound that's rather errrr....well, plasticky.

If, for instance, someone would tell me that I absolutely have to use PTFE insulated speaker wire because it's just the better insulator and anything else is just crap then I also have enough knowledge at hand to prove the guy wrong based on engineering knowledge.

However if he'd tell me that regardless of DA of PTFE it's still the best sounding insulation material for speaker cable then he could be right or wrong...

IOW, for lack of proof or understanding don't dismiss it beforehand.
If you can't afford to try it because of cost than try things you can afford.

If time after time you can't hear a difference but everyone else can, you than know for a fact you're wasting your time.

Somehow I know you will try or I wouldn't spend the time and effort. ;)

Cheers,;)

I agree with Magura on almost all of his points..

Especially the placebo one. These Hallographs are like a sugar pill. They dont really do much, but maybe they have an effect on the mind just sitting there.

So just as someone can recover faster from a cold by taking a placebo, music can sound better by putting a piece of foam on a chair..

I can see someone covering all their walls in it to reduce reflections. But just in one place in the room?

hmm

thomas997 said:
I agree with Magura on almost all of his points..

Especially the placebo one. These Hallographs are like a sugar pill. They dont really do much, but maybe they have an effect on the mind just sitting there.

So just as someone can recover faster from a cold by taking a placebo, music can sound better by putting a piece of foam on a chair..

I can see someone covering all their walls in it to reduce reflections. But just in one place in the room?

hmm

Thanks for chiming in about the things you don't know. I'm sure it's a long list. Please spare us.

I feel like my awarness is cooler.;)

But seriously, I'm detecting a sort of increased clarity, could be a placebo effect, or could be something else. But definitely worth a try. You can take the photos out of fridge anytime, and then it seems like the effect disappears. Good thing about it, is that no one else in the house is affect by that, as it's supposed to work only for me. That is a very cool experiment;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Peter are you at least feeling chilly?

In case someone should catch a cold....excellent placebos can be had. (note the oxymoron)

Sure, it modifies the first reflection off the side walls. Makes a VERY audible difference.

Sure does....even though I wouldn't have liked to be that particular demo room...Yikes...

Did you notice the diffusor on the coathanger too? [kidding]

Cheers,;)

Peter
Yes I made them. They really are quite amazing. I tried just one of them between the speakers and that was an improvement . I have heard others using a second set behind and to the sides of the listener with very good results. I will be making three more for these positions.
I don't know what they are diong but they do it very well.

fdegrove said:
(...)If, for instance, someone would tell me that I absolutely have to use PTFE insulated speaker wire because it's just the better insulator and anything else is just crap then I also have enough knowledge at hand to prove the guy wrong based on engineering knowledge.

However if he'd tell me that regardless of DA of PTFE it's still the best sounding insulation material for speaker cable then he could be right or wrong...(...)

Frank,

I'm a bit confused about what you're saying above. In the second paragraph you seem to be complaining about the dielectric absorption of Teflon? This article by Pease http://www.national.com/rap/Application/0,1570,28,00.html Fig 7 seems to indicate that, at least among capacitor dielectrics, it's the lowest available.

Peter Daniel said:
What are they made of and what's the approx. size?

The bottoms are purpleheart the rest is maple. There is a decorative inlay on each squiggly thing. They are a little over 6' high and are adjustable. They are 12 1/4" wide at the top. 14" wide at the base.

I can email you the plans I followed to build them. I don't have a band saw so it was a lot more work than it could have been. Anyone need a few dozen 2"maple circles?

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

In the second paragraph you seem to be complaining about the dielectric absorption of Teflon?

Certainly not complaining about the DA of PTFE, it's just that for speaker wire applications it's just not necessary at all to use it.

IOW, if you perceive an audible difference there, I very much doubt it would be due to the DA of PTFE since current levels are pretty high and impedances very low.

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.