Anyone build Diysoundgroup speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi bwaslo (Bill?)

I think they all are great designers, and they have their own area in loudspeakers.
Why not take the best parts from all of them?
Hmm..lets see.
-Open baffle, constant directivity, high efficiency, servo-subwoofer loudspeaker! ;)
Has it been done yet?

Hi na (na?)

Agreed, nobody has a monopoly on loudspeaker know-how. Linkwitz is a genius in his area, no doubt, but if you read all his writings, design-per-opinion shows up in many places, just like with everyone else.

I'm not currently big on open baffle/dipole, (and don't have the space even if I was) but I have the rest going in my system. Depends on the exact definition of "high efficiency", though, mine are only 92dB efficient (95dB sensitivity, because 4 ohms. That would probably be advertised as 100dB in the hifi speaker world!).

I don't think you'll ever find the idea speaker for everyone, there are too many speakerish things that affect perception and the whole thing is about creating an illusion anyway.

Yes indeed, sorry for not to introduce myself, na=Niko Autti

I have seen many kind of loudspeakers here in diyAudio. Monopol, dipole but not so often cardioid, why is that?
The Finnish loudspeaker companys Gradient and Amphion have been made many years loudspeakers that has cardioid as radiation pattern (midrange of course).
The Gradient Revolution first version is over 20 years old. Triangle shaped bass section where you can adjust what direction the cones are, and Seas coaxial in pyramid shaped top section, that works as cardioid.

I haven't seen anyone to cloned that one. Wonder why? The cardioidal pattern seems to suit pretty good in ordinary room when you look at its shape, but still keeps the "airy" or "live"presentation like in dipoles.
The Gradient Revolution still keeps winning loudspeakers contest after all these years.
Someone who has good measuring equipments could make a great diy version of that, there is lot of new good coaxials, or maybe use fullrange in the top section etc..

DIYsoundgroup Fusion 12 ...BUT... with SEOS-15 waveguide.

plastic SEOS-12 ~$28
plastic SEOS-15 ~ $36 now in stock.

If your front baffle can mount the wider SEOS-15 waveguide, I suspect a 15" SEOS would provide better pattern control than the SEOS-12. The main crossover issue is probably the time delay differences. The SEOS-15 is ~ 5" deep. The SEOS-12 is ~ 3.6" deep.

SEOS-15 height =200mm
SEOS-12 height = 166mm
17mm (0.67") increase Center-to-Center distance changes can be helped by butting the waveguide into the 12" midbass, and even cutting the SEOS-15 bottom plastic to conform to the 12" frame.
======
Are there any completed crossovers for the Eminence Delta Pro 12A with the SEOS-15 waveguide and Denovo 1" DNA-360 compression driver??

DIYSG HTM-12

The relatively new diysoundgroup HTM-12 combines a 12" woofer with the SEOS 15 waveguide. So, such a combination is available.

No, I haven't heard any of the diysoundgroup designs, but am interested. I have heard Gedlees Summa's and they are really great. Very easy, realistic presentation like my JBL 4430's, but much smoother and refined.

Would either the HTM-12 or Fusion 15 be, say, 95% of the way to the Summa's? Wish I knew!

The relatively new diysoundgroup HTM-12 combines a 12" woofer with the SEOS 15 waveguide. So, such a combination is available.

No, I haven't heard any of the diysoundgroup designs, but am interested. I have heard Gedlees Summa's and they are really great. Very easy, realistic presentation like my JBL 4430's, but much smoother and refined.

Would either the HTM-12 or Fusion 15 be, say, 95% of the way to the Summa's? Wish I knew!

Gedlee Summas were my reference for half a decade.

IMHO, the cabinet is a big part of the magic. People focus on the waveguide and ignore the cabinet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.