Anyone build Diysoundgroup speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
(To bwaslo)
Yes, i have read that somewhere, thanks for explaining that. So in 90 degree waveguide/horn the midwoofer should be 12" or bigger? The 12" would be optimal?

That depends on the components used. The idea is to match the midbass driver to the waveguide (typically of comparable width) so that both have 90° (or other if the WG has different horiz.angle) horizontal coverage at the intended crossover frequency. I've built 3 such systems so far. The first was a 10" Celestion TF1020 and the Dayton 10" round waveguide, I forget what frequency I crossed at, been a while and I don't have this one anymore. My second is 15" AE TD15M + QSC waveguide which is ~14" wide and I cross-over at ~1250Hz. My third is a 8" Peerless Nomex midbass and JBL 6" PT waveguide, where I cross-over around 2.7kHz IIRC. The obvious advantage to larger midbass and waveguides it that the 90° constant-directivity point will be lower in frequency and one gets a wider bandwidth of balanced direct/reflected sound.

Thanks IG81, i now understand better, but excuse me, what is IIRC?
How about vertical coverage? Can the MTM design help there?

IIRC = If I Recall Correctly

As for vertical coverage, driver placement on the baffle (z-axis) and any phase shift in the crossover will "steer" the main vertical lobe, which should be around 0° horizontally. So the idea is to have the acoustic centers time-aligned after mechanical and electrical considerations.

Another thing is how the spacing between driver and waveguide centers will determine the vertical beamwidth; getting the midbass and waveguide as close as possible is often a goal, often with some frame overlap.

There IS reason for a 12 inch midrange, BTW. The idea is to keep the off-axis, or even slightly-off-axis response from having an ugly bump because of changing radiation pattern between tweeter and midrange. With a 90 degree waveguide (read "horn used for something other than efficiency") that controls directivity down to ~1kHz, a midrange that is 12 inches or so wide is needed to get a smooth match at the crossover frequency. A smaller midrange would radiate over a wider angle.

If you are trying to get widest radiation angles possible, you'd want tiniest possible drivers. But all the off-axis sound, and it's bumps and dips, will all come back to you in the room, it's not just the on-axis response that matters (just point a speaker away from you for a test and notice how little the sound level drops off!)

yes, we know that. nothing bad about nice polars, but going to extremes and wanting ruler flat ones all the way is a bit funny. especially with the flat muffled mids of these pro woofers. thats typical from the ones iv tried.(regardless of measurements, EQ etc)

also its a box speaker that transition from 2pi to 4pi omni in the bass, and still suffers from an irregular first reflection.
i really dont find these econowaves anywhere near Linkwitz lx521.even the lxmini got superior imaging imo.
but over there on avsforum Siegfried is just a screwball that apparantly doesnt know what he is doing :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Siegfried Linkwitz was in Finland Helsinki at 2013, in "Conference of loudspeakers and headphones". I can certainly say that he knows quite a lot :)

The open baffle concept is interesting, but these european homes really doesn't allow for proper placement. But i think i someday i try some ob design from Gr-research. That is because i already have 2pcs of B&G neo3 tweeters and Danny from Gr has done a lot of speakers with B&G drivers.

Well, i think i just need to build the Pispeakers 7Pi. It seems that that design has taken care of everything... I just need to build a house first where there is optimal room for those speakers ;)

i realize comparing them was a bit stupid, since they are so different.
just thought i would mention him because both have polars as a priority, and his designs are quickly brushed off by the likes of thoes promoting DIYSG speakers as the holy grail.
maybe a better comparison would be a 3-way cornscala. it wont measure up as good on or off axis, but its high eff. and its midrange is much more fun.

I once asked about pro-drivers vs "boutique" audio drivers, from very respectful speaker designer and he said it is "emperors clothes thing".
Wel, i needed to chew on that a while, maybe because i have burned quite a lot money in Scan-speak and Seas etc. drivers.

But it seems that exc. Tony G from Humblehomemadehifi really like the PHL (Pro-driver) midwoofers and i think he uses 10" mid in his coming reference personal speaker. 15"+10"+Be compression driver+horn.
I once asked from Wayne at Pispeakers that has he tried and what he thinks about PHL and he said he likes them but prefer the Eminence as mid in his designs.

I must say that i really like how Wayne from Pispeakers wants to help out, and answers questions.

So, my personal feeling is that there is just as good drivers in Pro-drivers as "boutique" ones, you just have to find them.

I doubt that anyone with an ounce of common sense would ever right off any of the speakers by Siegfried Linkwitz. His designs are uniformly excellent and usually met with plenty of excitement and respect at Burning Amp (he is also a total gentleman to talk to and discuss ideas with). Obviously all good designs need the right kind of space around them to perform their best. Outdoors, big rooms, small rooms, lots of reflective surfaces, no reflective surfaces, two channel, multi channel, there just isn't a one solution fits all speaker design.

"just thought i would mention him because both have polars as a priority"
That is really important to mention multitask, no problems.

If thinking in being place where there is live performers, the ob concept is maybe more "real" sounding, and Siegfried has taken that really far.
It would be awesome to hear the Siegfrieds LX521, i have read only positive writings from it.

"Obviously all good designs need the right kind of space around them to perform their best. Outdoors, big rooms, small rooms, lots of reflective surfaces, no reflective surfaces, two channel, multi channel, there just isn't a one solution fits all speaker design."

Yes, the acoustics is one big part of the speakers performance. That is why i like the Pispeakers 7Pi design so much. Just push it into the corners ;) ...+ maybe add few flanking subs in the room...

i guess my point is there is a difference between bad and "adequate" polars.
i would rather build a 3 or 4-way with the right parts in the right place, than a 2-way with perfect polars.
the law of diminishing returns.

a 3-way DIYSG with compression driver mids to say ~500hz on a fair horn would be interesting. sadly very few kits like that availible.
it would keep effciency up, contrary to smaller cone mids. but probably not hold up to their polar scrutiny.

The coming Maximus-12 from Jeff Bagby is designed 3-way. I like the look of the first prototype:
Hey guys...we need a little rallying here... - Page 396 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

It uses B&C 8" for mid, and it should be some new 8" version so i think it is this:
B&C Speakers

Just my guess, but the SEOS that is used is 10" version? The 6db down point in the 8gf64 could just reach the 1200hz, so they could match... But this is just my speculation.
We will see. Looking forward for it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.