anybody tried a LM4780?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Supplier?

Hi Mahendra,
From where did you pick up the LM4780 chip ? I am assuming it was picked up locally. I saw some LM3886 at a shop in Chennai. He wanted 650/- bucks for it .
What software did you use to make your pcb layout? Looks nice.
Thanks,
ashok.

Did you also build the LM3886 amp ? If so how does the sound of the 4780 compare with the 3886.

I tried it

Guys, my last GC was made with the LM4780.
I felt like trying it.:D

Let me say that the engineer that decided on the pinout of this chip was either drunk or in a bad mood.
Complete madness.

Before making the amp, after some thinking:eek: I made my own circuit this time.
No time yet to make a sketch and post here, sorry.
Anyway, here it goes:

Inverted LM4780 GC "a la Carlos":D :

- LM6172 input op-amp (buffer):eek:
- 2.2uf input cap, between the LM6172 and the input resistor.
- 1.2k RI (input resistor)
- 47k RF (feedback resistor)
- 1.2k resistors from NI input to the signal star gound.
- 2.7 ohm resistor from signal star ground to power star ground (this is important here).
- Join the two muting pins and connect a single 10k resistor to V-.

The sound?
Different for sure, but fantastic.
Anyway, I have an input op-amp, so I'm not testing in the same conditions.
The sound is dynamic, very detailed, and a little smoother on the treble (without loosing any detail) than the LM3875.
I would have a very hard time if I was to decide between the sound of my Pre and GC power amp and this integrated amp.
They are different, but they are both High-End.:)

In the end, I think I prefer the magic treble of the LM3875 (working with my pre), but this clearly is a question of taste.:angel:

li_gangyi said:
So there's no real advantage going the 47xx series way?? other than having more pins...

Yes, the pinout is a real pain.
P-P is not practical here.

Some advantages of the LM4780 are:

- With only one transformer for the two channels, absolutely no noise with the volume at max.
- Exactly the same DC offset on both channels.
- You can make an amp even smaller.

I recommend the use of 2.200uf caps here (near the chip's pins) instead of 1000uf, this is a stereo chip, so you're feeding two channels.

lm3875 & 4ohm speakers

3875's can very well drive a 4 ohm load, if you lower the voltage somewhat.
I used 2x15 volt and 2x18 volt secondaries. Doesn't run hot or anything and sounds pretty nice. Liked the 15v psu better.

I'm currently using 3875 with 22V secondaries on an 8ohm load.

btw, anymore people using 4780s ? I'm interested in a few pbcs ...

edit: that is, in bridged mode ;)

Nat Semi's demo board

i cleaned up the perspective a bit -- here's their demo board:

Attachments

• lm4780_demobrd_topview.jpg
    lm4780_demobrd_topview.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 785
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.