Anybody have a PCB for this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Depends, if you are making 10,000 boards $30 may be a ripoff. If you are making 200 it is downright cheap --

TIME = MONEY
Not to mention that you/we are also paying for Rod's development time and expense. There is no telling how many pre-release proto-PCBs (not to mention MOSFETs) he burner through to get the final result. It always looks simple AFTER someone else has done it.

Eva said:
That link may be useful...
http://sound.westhost.com/pcb/pricelist.html

P101 appears to cost US $17 per board [including a discount due to layout errors as the autor states] plus shipping costs ranging from US $10 to US $26 [fron Australia to USA w or w/o insurance]

These prices for the boards are via paypal. You may get a lower effective price by using the secure ordering app. option, buying via a credit card and having the credit card do the currency conversion. Depending on your banks conversion charges it is typically a lower cost way to go because ESP does not have to cover PayPal charges (fairly onerous) or exchange rate fluctuations.

Censorship is a very important thing to get right.

Could I please ask you:
1) To have the simple courtesy to inform me when you erase any posts of mine, and
2) Help me by telling me, specifically, which DIY Audio rules any posts you choose to delete have breached.

And if you cannot do this then kindly replace my posts.

Re the request for PCB for P3A.

How come this link following was posted only a few short months ago and everyone was helpful , now all of a sudden Big Brother has appeared and everyone is so concerned with IP rights.

I particular note POST 2, and the attached PCB.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24057&perpage=10&pagenumber=1

Like many other hobbyists I get great satisfaction making my own PCB,s.

Clearly Rod has allowed what is the most important part of his IP
to be downloaded and viewed by all, that is the schematic.

Anyone with a bit of time and Eagle can make a PCB from that schematic, so why can't all you fellow hobbyists help someone out and at least of pointed him to the link above, and maybe saved him a few hours stuffing around , instead of getting on your soap boxes and bagging him.

Steve

I think Rod pretty much says it on his Terms and Conditions page.

All text, diagrams, circuits and any other material presented in these project and articles pages are Copyright ESP / Rod Elliott unless otherwise stated. These circuits and descriptions are available for personal use only, and may not be used commercially without the author's written consent nor may the projects or articles presented be copied or directly linked to other sites or re-published in whole or in part in any form whatsoever whether electronic or otherwise without the author's written consent. Violators will be vigorously pursued by any and all means at my disposal.

Copyright Notice. All projects described herein, including but not limited to all text and diagrams, are the intellectual property of Rod Elliott unless otherwise stated, and are Copyright © 1999-2004. Reproduction or re-publication by any means whatsoever, whether electronic, mechanical or electro-mechanical, is strictly prohibited under International Copyright laws. The author / editor (Rod Elliott) grants the reader the right to use this information for personal use only, and further allows that one (1) copy may be made for reference while constructing the project. Commercial use in whole or in part is prohibited without express written authorisation from Rod Elliott and the owner of the copyright in the case of submitted articles.

I think offfense was taken when the original poster asked for artwork for the P3 board. It says in pretty plain language that if you want to design and make a PCB for yourself it is okay, but passing around a design for a board violates his copyright and is stealing his IP.

P3A is nothing but a revised version of a topology commonly used on 1970's and early 1980's [as the own Rod Elliot states]

P101 is nothing but an adaptation of the classic MOSFET source follower sold as kits by thousands of manufacturers during 1980's

So Rod Elliot has invented little or nothing, he is the owner of the copyright only because he has modified those classic designs according to his taste [including custom PCBs] and he is sure making profit of his designing and testing work

But I see no reason for complaining. In the end we are also fully free to adapt those classic designs to our taste [doing our own designing and testing work], thus getting copyright of our versions, and then we have the right to do whatever we want with the resulting schematics and PCBs [sell them as Rod does, publish them freely, etc...]

Rod is a creative and clever man, not some kind of god

m0tion said:
IP aside, that part I found offensive (and short sighted) was the idea that a manufactured PCB, with profits going to the designer, was not worth $30 shipped. I still think thats a ridiculous statement.

Particularly when much of the proceeds gets plowed back into a site that provides so much DIY information on a wide range of topics gratis to the DIY community.

Documents and web pages of this quality take considerable time to create, maintain and update. Bandwidth and storage to support the number of hits on a site such as the ESP site is considerable.

Of course folks from time to time will want to design your own boards to accomodate different size components, try a different layout or just for the fun of it. For those reasons by all means design your own.

But buy the boards as well and give them away to a budding DIYer. This supports the designer's site and expands the number of DIY offerings and participants.

Then everyone is happy.

traderbam said:

Your richessness might be turned to positive end if you were to take your own advice and buy pcb from Rod and send it to soundNERD. Yes, that would make everyone happy. :angel:

If I decide to lay out a P101 board I will do that.

In the mean time I have recently bought four PC boards of various types from the site and will probably buy a couple more soon.

I was happy to note a new transistor tester project for Class A amp designs posted on the site free of charge since it will really help me in my next amp project.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.