any info,manual about Yamaha B-2 ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Reducing the image

To get the file small you have to reduce the over all size of the image, like a 5"x7" or smaller, then compress it. I did post the input circuits for "elviukai", however he has never asked for any more of the schematics. :) maybe he has it working.

yamaha schematic

hello guys, sorry no time to nude yamaha to see n or p chanel devices down- too much project(in mean time 3 speakers design, two amps, one preamp,also tube dac is starting more or less :) not speking work in hospital. :)

I got shematic 2.4mb in jpg with no problems. my mail can handle 100Mb, so no problem for 2.4mb. I can resend it to someone else who want.

by the way i am palning to give t b-2 blue lights in meters. mine are silver so will look great like machintosh ! :cool:

Duh!! Of course. Shrink the image and then the file shrinks. I know that. Must have put my brain with my money somewhere. My B2 cuts out occasionally, but the meters still show output. I think it is the speaker selector switch. When I go in to change the speaker binding posts I may hardwire around the switch as I only run a single set of speakers and don't plan to do anything else. Wife was away yesterday so I was able to listen at elevated levels. Dreamboat Annie on Nautilus sure sounds good. Am was putting out an indicated 25wpc on average (if one can believe the meters) and couldn't tell that it was producing any additional heat to speak of. And it sounded just as clean and clear at 100db as my normal listening of 80db. I've had fifteen amps over the past 30 years and this is the best sounding to-date.

According to the Spectral website their DMA-360 amp uses V-FETs. Wonder who is making these devices? Check it out. May be a source of new V-FETs.

Ooops.....now that I read the info for myself I see that they are VMOS FETs and not VerticalFETs. Knew it was too good to be true.

Ah, well. The search continues.

Just found a set of the Yamaha B2 output VFET transistors for one channel. That is four devices, two of each flavor. The asking price is $600 and they came out of a used B2. These are not something I have, but if you pm me I will give you the owner's contact info. A bit much for me as $600 is twice what I paid for my B2. I did find out that Yamaha's list price for a set of these was $418 and change in 1981.

wow! 600usd for 4 transistors.. :eek:

I hoped to find parts for 35-50usd/each .. more or less.. :(

I have an idea. as I understand yours Y-2 is dead too 0ne chanel? could you sell me another working chanell fets?
how much did you want for them. if you are not agree to sell I can sugest mine . not for 600usd :D but lets say 25-40eur/each.(that would be 130-160usd total for all )

if Your sugested sum would be less I agree to buy yours.

looks like this is the only thing to do.. in case you want buy mine, I can send mine yamahas front side panes wich is silver and looks very great comparing with black one. other parts especialy power meters I would use to make other amps.

Definitely a crazy amount of money. But as the guy said (he is an authorized Yamaha repair shop in the U.S.), if someone brought a B2 in to be repaired he would charge him ~$750 to put these transistors into the amp so why sell to me or anyone else for less than $600. Guess he has a point. But, out of my league.

yeap. pretty sorry that people try making money from audio. 600usd is pretty big amount for repairing. I hope this guy for this sum shoul also replase all caps with black gate, silver 12awg wire all inside, wtb conectors, neon blue lights in power meters, and so. then would be reasonable price. :D

I sent you email personaly gpdavis

ok guys here is late night 3 am.

see you in DIY again

That total insane to pay $400 for some used output. I would keep an eye out on Ebay and other places that sale audio gear on the net, you will find one.

Buying parts form the manufacture has always been a screw job, it's like buying car parts form the manufacture of your car. Anyway, it no wonder that Yamaha no longer makes the amps wityh VFET they could never get the price down. Also, this fellow with the parts let him choke on them, more that likely most of these B2 have hit the junk pile a long time ago.

You should consider building a amp, somthing llike an Aleph 2 will sound better and the parts are cheap.

As for as the matching the parts the bias is adjustable, so it not a life or death thing.

yap. oldies are expensive. I had luck to have two quad 2 tube monos they are fabuluos.. today quads make new version of this but I read reviews and looks like newer is not better always. retailed for 100-200usd or so , but now price are almost 10X . also had quad 303/33/fm3 set and sound was very involving..

and yes,well made(it is not cheap to built :rolleyes: ) aleph 2 or a 5 (i build a5,a60 60w not 100w a2) is superior in high and particulary low range comparing with yamaha. and they get well with sensitive speakers. Yamaha like all speaakers is superior in macrodynamic and pass labs is far away from that.I dont care about this so I prefer pass labs. but some grand orchestra performanses played ay very fast and real with yamaha and dynaudio speakers
I dont have posibility to test it in stereo mode but its nice,rare and valuable high-end gear. I heard that there is some sony experimental models with V-fets.

Haven't seen this thread for a while.

No one makes VFETs. They haven't been made for over 20 years. Too expensive when the only end use was for high-end audio amps from Japan. MOSFETs are another story. They are a dime-a-dozen and probably made by 15-20 device manufacturers. All the big names (Harris, Sanyo, etc.).

And, jewilson's opinion is just that. One man's opinion.

I now own five (5) Yamaha B-2 amps. Four are good and one is a beat-up parts mule (all VFETs are good, though). I've recapped two of them for bi-amping my speakers and they are easily the best sound I've owned in thirty+ years in this crazy hobby.

The B-2 is rated at 100wpc. After the cleaning (including all relays, switches, etc.), recap and tune-up one made 156wpc and the other 152wpc. THD was at the residual of my instrument at ~0.003%. Powerful, quiet, clear and lightening fast. And so smooth. Most 'tube-like' solid-state piece I've listened to.

elviukai - while old news, Sony also made a line of VFET gear. Three integratd amps and two power amps. Significantly different in design from those of Yamaha, but a similar sweet, musical sound. I also have a Sony TA-5650 VFET integrated amp that I am going through at the moment to replace the suspect diodes that tend to blow and take out the VFET when they do. Is a poor part in the Sony VFET gear and they should all be replaced with modern devices.

If you want to know more about VFETs, go to AudioKarma.org and do a VFET search. There are a bunch of use who hang out over there.

greetings all...

I know this thread is long in the tooth but i have a b2 in good working order with the exception of an errant meter . my question
is how do you set bias (dc offset was apparent) ??? or more to the point where do you measure as the bias pot is marked and what is safe for the vfet outputs. BTW has anyone had a meter that wanders up to mid way then stops.

Regards Elwood

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.