Any Fostex FE167En smallish Cabinet recommendations?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi ya Chris,

Yeah, they're coming along nicely. Clamps are off and I've started varnishing and sanding back. I've put a nice simple routed round edge on all edges. Waiting for a pair of speaker terminals to pop through the letter box too, out of stock at the mo, meh.

Sorry about lack of updates, my 'day gig' is getting in the way of audio perfection :)

I'll try and get some updated pics up tonight.

DTB

Here we go, update time. Sorry for the delay.

So, after the clamps came off I gave the cabs a bit of a rub-down and rounded over all the edges...
CIMG3166.jpg

Then I started the long-winded process of applying the varnish and (lightly) sanding back each time. The eagle-eyed will have noticed both cabs are have now moved indoors into the man-cave as the shed is too dusty to consider varnishing down there at the moment.
CIMG3172.jpg

and...
CIMG3173.jpg

Each varnish and sanding back session are taking place over 24 hour periods, hence the loooooong delays between updates at the moment. Its a bit laborious but the result is....

Ta dah <jazz hands>
CIMG3179.jpg

Still awaiting on the speaker terminal posts.... meh (again!).

DTB

nice work - maybe almost too pretty for a work shop system?

+ 1. Looking real good!

<flutters eyelashes and frames angelic face> You sweet-talkin' smoothies!

Ta!

that plywood that you weren't the most complementary about has turned out quite nice in the end!

next up, some sound reviews!

Not me MrH, I'm OK with the PLY I've bought from B+Q, if it's a bit manky I leave it on the shelf! :)

I've just chased the speaker terminal supplier fella, if they don't come soon I'll just fit the drivers and exit the cable out a port temporarily so I can 'critique'.

I can just picture DaveD pacing nervously up and down the waiting room corridor chewing his nails!!!

DTB

Whahey! Progress!

The 4mm terminals still haven't arrived so I've had to just run a pair out of a very small hole out the back of the cab for now just to get them running in for bit.

I gave both cabs a final rub down and coat number 6 (!) of matt varnish. The end result looks like this...
CIMG3180.jpg

...closeup...
CIMG3181.jpg

...and then proceeded to fit the drivers...
CIMG3187.jpg

I then rested them on top of a pair of MDF FH3's I've borrowed from a chum until I get round to building a pair in ply properly, thats the next project.

Anyway, at 1st I had 'em sitting like this...
CIMG3184.jpg

..and after a short period decided tried 'em like this...
CIMG3201.jpg

Cor! Thats better, sound stage opened up properly and the bass smoothed out. Previously it was over-blown when the cab was upright, being stuck in a corner is helping either but I'm a bit limited for space up here in the man-cave. At work they have plenty of breathing space.

More pics..
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

and...

CIMG3200.jpg

Soundwise? Nice, they'vegot that very nice polite balance that I've heard in other Fonken stylee builds. The FE167's seem to be free-ing up nicely after a long time sitting unloved in boxes, Colin warned me they'd probably need a good burn-in time as he hadn't used them for quite a while. I'll leave them running face-to-face in antiphase playing demanding cone-shifting stuff and then critique 'em in situ in the workshop.

I like what I'm hearing at present. They don't do dynamics like the FH3's do and they don't have the HF extension either that the FE126's do in FH3 here in the very dry sounding man-cave. The workshop is lively, I think they'll suit it just fine. I'll report back when I've got 'em up to work and in situ. This'll take a few days as I commute up to Central London everyday by (small!) motorbike and can only take one cab (minus driver of course!) strapped to the luggage rack. No really :)

Loving this build, it's fun and is bringing us super sounds in the workshop.

DTB

Whahey! Update time.

Old crud-boxes have been removed from the 'gantry' and the new lush-luvvlies have been installed in their place.

CIMG3217.jpg

and...
CIMG3219.jpg

and together....
CIMG3223.jpg

They 'fire' down the (smallish) workshop like this...
CIMG3221.jpg

...and are fed by this PP EL34 amp I built up over Christmas...
CIMG3220.jpg

They're fed from 2 sources. One is an old but good analogue FM tuner and the other is a 2TB HD full of .flac files being hosted by a PC running LMS.

They are BRILLIANT in the workshop. Plenty of everything. The amp easily drives them to grin-enhancing SPL's. Easily the best sound we've had in workshop EVER. Its surprising how many people have commented on sound the already when they either picking up or dropping stuff off for repair. The workshop has always been known for its non-stop music policy (! :) ) but this combo has taken the quality to a new level of awethumness. Only 'tweak' I'm toying with is to either/and/or lower the cabs slightly on another piece of batten and angle them slightly downwards so they 'fire' more towards the listeners rather than above our heads. Both me and the boss are short-legged!!!

Hats off to DaveD and the DIY Audio forum for all the help.

<salutes!>

DTB

I beg to differ, if placed in the right enclosure they can produce quite some slam and go to uncomfortable listening levels. But you need high efficiency enclosures and a BR is not one of them.
Having had the fe167e's w/ phase plugs & eNAbled treatment in several different cabs, (none of which were bass reflex), I found them to be pleasant, but wouldn't go particularly loud without breakup, and with quite loose, wooly bass. Which cabs have you tried ?
don

I beg to differ, if placed in the right enclosure they can produce quite some slam and go to uncomfortable listening levels. But you need high efficiency enclosures and a BR is not one of them.

You are a little late to the party -- I had to go all the way to page 1 to find what I said. Anyway....

I have thought a lot about "slam" lately, particularly since I starting using an 18" woofer. Guess what? No "slam". Why? slam is nothing but LOUD. So, yes, you can make any size driver "slam" if you can put it in an efficient enough power to get over 100dB at the listening chair.

I do not expect to ever experience "slam" from one of my speakers, because I will never, ever run them at 100dB.

Bob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.