Another LM3886 in parallel attempt - this time 4 of them!

4R load results are good but not as good as 8R.

Even though THD+N is way better that of the datasheet, I am still far from achieving the level of performance of the Modulus line of amplifiers.

Note how 2nd harmonics is dominant in all of the measurements.
Looks like VAS stage is running out of juice (distorting) earlier then output devices.
By using four LM3886s output stage is equivalent to four pairs of output transistors or 2EF-4.
If you compare these results with Modulus 286 measured by Audiosciencereview they are very similar. See the harmonics at 5w kHz, they are identical to yours.
Screenshot_20240316_042433_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240316_042247_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240316_042247_Chrome.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 24
If you compare these results with Modulus 286 measured by Audiosciencereview they are very similar. See the harmonics at 5w kHz, they are identical to yours.
You'll also notice the comment about power supply noise in ASR's picture. I measure close to -120 dBc THD at 5 W on the MOD286 with a better power supply.

The plots in Post #41 show about -105 dBc. The extra 15 dB takes real work to obtain.

Tom

Joined 2011
Paid Member
the first one in post #22 for example

The whole measurement was not adjusted for the input gain and if you look at the 0dBu you can see that the signal is higher at about 15dBu.

I posted adjusted graph next to it where the top of the 1khz tone is exactly at 0dbu.

Below are attached two same graphs, except one is scaled to 0dbu

Second harmonic is below -100dBu

Attachments

• IMG_2823.png
    IMG_2823.png
    38.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2824.png
    IMG_2824.png
    37 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You'll also notice the comment about power supply noise in ASR's picture. I measure close to -120 dBc THD at 5 W on the MOD286 with a better power supply.

The plots in Post #41 show about -105 dBc. The extra 15 dB takes real work to obtain.

Tom
The harmonic levels cannot be effected by the power supply noise and they are the same as the OP is measuring.and confirmed. Despite error corrector, the Power supply rejection ratio is very bad. On the other hand you are giving the same THD+N for 8 ohms and 4 ohms at 10mw is very doubtful for the exactitude of your measurements.
Maybe a noob can get such results if he will be measuring with an ultra low noise power supply on 29 Feb between 4 and 7 pm at Calgary temperatures of -35°C.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
View attachment 1286549

ASR was reviewing prototype for Modulus-286, but I wonder how the current production version with the new case and linear PSU will measure?
Modulus-686 probably measures even better.

My amplifier clears -100dB 0.001% THD+N 1khz and I am happy with that. Second harmonic is dominant wich is an extra bonus. 10khz is around -86dB 0.005% THD+N but is usually like that.

I have Modulus-86 and now I am curious to do listening tests side by side and compare the two.

The Modulus amps are not composite as a diagram shows, it is error corrected with input buffer. See the circuit.
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...lifiers-aka-modulus-clone.408330/post-7580875
Analog Devices say: "A composite amplifier is an arrangement of two individual amplifiers configured in such a way as to realize the benefits of each individual amplifier while diminishing the drawbacks of each amplifier."
Which is exactly what happens in the Modulus amps or in any of your amp proposals you've posted here lately, no matter if you call something "error corrected only".

Reactions: 1 user
Where did they write "gets influenced"?
You have two opamps, one amp with high power/voltage but low precision and one small-signal amp with high precision but low power/voltage. The composite yields a power amp with high precision, exactly combining the benefits of each, power from the first and precision from the second.

The circuit shown is not mine it is given with Modulus-86 board. I'll give you the source on your private mail because of copyright.
The one you sent me was the block diagram for the Modulus v2 that used to be on the Neurochrome homepage, but this is virtually identical: https://neurochrome.com/products/modulus-86 (go to tab "circuit topology").

I have the discontinued parallel 86 which came with a schematic, and I can assure you it is a composite amp. The 3886 has its own local feedback (gain of ~20 AFAIR), and there is another loop that includes the op amp. The op amp output is attenuated to keep it stable.