Another four years of George?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, but there are grudges, and therfore at times its best to have a seperate voice come in.
Yes there are so many grudges that some kind of partition has to take place. But not in its current form but in the form of a Palestinian state. I can't imagine attacks taking place much more if a viable Palestinian state is established. Not because terrorists won't want to attack anymore. But then the Palestinian state will actually have a reason to do really do something against it. And the average Joe who just wants to have a job in Israel ... and lead his life in peace and dignity will also cause some kind of groundswell of anti-terrorist sentiment. Whereas the average Joe probably supports the bombing of innocent Israeli's now.

ace3000_1 said:

Hmm i dont know about that, they have the richest country yeah, but their wages are often crap.

Trev:)

The 20 year trend will be very interesting. If the current income distribution in China holds, and if the economic expansion there follows the expected productivity growth there (as it should) the number of people there with income <$100k dollars will be huge in sheer numbers.

The US likely will eclipsed as the largest exporter within 10 years and as the largest economy in 20-40.

Might be good to think about how you want the world interactions to be before that time.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
I can't imagine attacks taking place much more if a viable Palestinian state is established.

Well they have one proposed for next year :), but that wont bring peace, because the people will still have grudges against each other because of the terrorist activities of today. See, its a vicous circle, someone is going to have to give in or wipe themselfs out until all of the grudge holders are gone. Then the young ones who are growing up in tomorrows world who see this today, will more then likey still carry the grudges of today and still fight in years to come, so im my eyes i dont see it ending unless one lot gives in, and how they give in is a different story. That oportunity may never arise.

Trev:)

Bas Horneman said:

Hi Trev,

Yes...all are rates/percentages ofcourse.

I left out other things though...like America does have the richest people in the world. And they are probably more competitive economically, have lowest taxes, etc. etc. But I could not fit that into my discussion. ;-)

it is interesting (contrary to current dogma inthe US) that if you try to corelate economic growth with level of state/social spending you end up with not much corelation.

Groth has been great growth in areas with some of the highest taxes/social services and some really low growth in areas the cut these levels. There are reverse examples also.

Mainly just not much correlation. Not talked about much though. Mostly dogma discussions.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
SY said:
[snip]Until the Arab world comes to grip with their real problems, there is nothing that can be done. [snip]I have great hope for the influence of Arabs residing in secular countries like yours or mine.

SY,

Yes, the arabs should come to grip etc. But their way, on their terms. We should maybe stop telling them what's good for them and force our ideas on them. And Bas is right, the Israeli/Arab problem is small in magnitude, but I am convinved that it provides some kind of focus for the extremists, and we helping them nicely along by letting Isreal get away with almost anything. We are definitely not even-handed and that will keep the terrorists fire burning. We shoot ourselves in the foot here continually.

On your second remark, looking at the vote partitioning, you can debate whether the USA is in fact still a secular country.
I'm not into US-bashing at all, but stoning aldulterers or mandatory death penalty for abortion doctors, whats the difference, really? If you think it through, the madness is that some doctors may die on the hot seat because some cardinal refuses to allow condoms. Madness, madness!

Jan Didden

I have great hope for the influence of Arabs residing in secular countries like yours or mine.
I don't...most Arabs here hate Israel and America and even the country they live in. As was demonstrated earlier this week when we had the 3rd political murder ever. When Theo van Gogh was butchered by an arab. Because Theo found some aspects of Islam as practised in certain parts of the world abhorrent and was vocal about it.

Bas Horneman said:

Yes there are so many grudges that some kind of partition has to take place. But not in its current form but in the form of a Palestinian state. I can't imagine attacks taking place much more if a viable Palestinian state is established.

As far as I'm aware, the Palestinians are only screwing up their own area. It's the other 99.9% of the Arab world that needs better focus.

Originally posted by janneman
On your second remark, looking at the vote partitioning, you can debate whether the USA is in fact still a secular country. I'm not into US-bashing at all, but stoning aldulterers or mandatory death penalty for abortion doctors, whats the difference, really?

There's a big difference. One is a reality and commonly practiced. The other is an election gimmick by a minor politician looking for publicity, and extremely unlikely to even reach the debate level, much less be passed into law.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I just come back from the movie "The fog of war", starring Robert S McNamara. Only Robert S McNamara. Talking abouth his stint as president of FMC, then SecDef under Kennedy (Cuba crisis) and Johnson (he left because of differences over the Vietnam war to become president of the World bank). The movie was about his 11 lessons learned.

I give you two:

On the - in hindsight - completely wrong reason to step up the Vietnam war after the "attack" on the USS Maddox: "Belief and seeing are both often wrong";

On going into war with the rest of the world shouting "don't do it" (sound familiar?) "If after your best reasoning, they still say, don't do it, you should review your reasoning".

Jan Didden

till said:
why don´t you post the link with http instead of hxtp, so also our red friends could read it?
Because the linked site will be able to detect that the users were coming from diyaudio.com(via cgi referer).
It is not always a good idea, since there are companies out there that don't agree being linked. I can tell you we had a lot of problems because of this(mostly us companies, but german too, some big names).

Oh George...George....George. What are you doing? To send the Secretary of State to Mexico to pander to Prez. Fox on the subject of granting amnesty to 20 milion illeagle aliens. Days after the election??...BS. These people broke the law comming here and or by staying here and George wants to grant them amnesty. I think I'm going to scream. Talk about a slap in the face of all the men & women that put their lives in jepordy as border control officers. The things some people will do in the name of cheap labor. Imigration needs some major reforms, but this is rediculous. If George has much support from the "red states", he is loosing it quickly over this right now as I type. And how many of these illeagles are terrorists? Who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.