• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Another CCS for tubes/valves: PCBs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Could someone point out where I can find a description of this specific IXYS circuit? I’m assuming that the IN is IN, of course, and that between LZ1 and LD1 one is to ground that the other is the out, but I’m not sure which is which. The R1 and trimmer sets the current? And I’m not sure what the other resistors do. Thanks!

Ciao

the schematic is on post 11 by dsavitsk.

Cascoded JFETs CCS doesn't need any reference to ground:

IN is the input (your hi-voltage PSU)
LZ1 is the mu-follower output and it can be cap coupled to the following grid (it is a low impendance output)
LD1 is to be connected to the plate of the tube (and cap coupled to the following stage if you prefer to do so)

Sorry for the short delay. I think there is probably enough interest to go ahead with this project. If you want to be included in the group buy for any boards, please send an email to ccs@ecp.cc

In that email, include your
- Name
- PayPal email address (must be confirmed, credit card payments are okay)
- Forum Name (optional)
- The number of boards, and which boards you want

Boards will only be shipped to your confirmed PayPal address. No exceptions to this. If you do not have a confirmed PayPal address, please don't order.

It appears that the concentration will be on the IXYS boards and the HV PNP (version B). I posted a small revision to the IXYS board -- if you see any other changes you think should be made, please post here. The other two boards (HV NPN and LV NPN) are fair game as well, but if minimum quantities are not met, then they won't get ordered.

There needs to be a minimum of 50 of a type for an order to be placed. I'll periodically post names/numbers of orders at http://www.ecp.cc/ccsgb.html If you don't show up on that list within a reasonable amount of time after emailing, then post to this thread. I get a lot of spam and don't typically check my spam folder. If you don't want your name up on a website, then include some sort of user name that I can use. I also reserve the right to cut off the group buy at any size that seems reasonable.

The ordering phase will be open until Midnight, Chicago time, December 20, 2007 (at the latest.) At that point, assuming minimum orders have been met, I'll send out PayPal money requests that should be paid by Midnight, Chicago time, December 23. The PCB manufacturer will be on vacation for a few days in December, so the board order will be placed on or about Dec 27, and I would imagine boards will arrive sometime after the new year at which point they will be shipped out (via USPS in regular envelopes.)

The estimated price is $2.50 per board + shipping ($2.50 to the U.S. and $6 for international -- please note, all international shipments will include the actual cost of the boards on the outside of the envelope.)

A portion of any extra money collected after expenses will be split between DIYAudio.com and my favorite charity, which is the Tree House Animal Foundation. Tree House is a cageless no-kill shelter for cats here in Chicago.

Please remember that orders are at the buyer's risk:
- I will not take back boards that have a manufacturing error, or that have a design error
- boards lost in shipping are not be my responsibility
- as a buyer, you agree to indemnify me against any loss associated with these circuit boards. That is, if you hurt yourself, or burn down your house, even though through a design or manufacturing error, it is not my responsibility.
- There is no support provided with the boards aside from the posted schematics. Once the board designs are finalized, I'll attach the schematics to this thread so they will (hopefully) not get lost.

It appears that the concentration will be on the IXYS boards and the HV PNP (version B). I posted a small revision to the IXYS board -- if you see any other changes you think should be made, please post here.

how are the resistor power consumption figured with these devices? I want to use the 10M90S with this and want to make it will work. The traces look far enough apart so we should be good there. Is there a reason not to use a connector for LD1, LZ1, IN (or at least an optional connector)?

Also, would it be possible to get the distance between output pins beforehand?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.