Anodising Alep5 : what color ???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Update !

Well, tonight i ripped the Aleph apart and started measuring.

First thing : the 50 Hz i heard, is actually the 100 Hz from de power-supply. On the scope i see a triangular voltage of 300 mV. Disconnecting a channel gives me still a 170 mV of ripple on the capacitors.

Results of this ripple is a 30 mV ripple on the output. That's the "humm" i heard :xeye:

Now what ?

1) Get rid of the 4x47000uF and place more capacity ?
2) place inductors between the caps ? (CLC) -> value suggestions...?
3) or try a resistor ? (CRC) -> value suggestions...?

Hope to hear from you......

Grtz,
Nick

ps: how about the original Aleph 5 ? They have less capacity and less humm :bawling:

CRC

Hi Nick,

I am sure you heard form PSU-designer of Duncan Amps. With this piece of software you can simulate the impact of various filter configurations on the power supply ripple.

For my Aleph 5 monoblocks I have opted for a CRCC-filter with each C being 22.000 uF and the R 0,39 Ohm (10 Watt). The amps are deathly quiet.

Hope this helps,

JP

Attachments

• psu small.jpg
    psu small.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 320
Wim,

i have really good experiences with Intertechnik torobar's for CLC filters.
William too, he recently confirmed that torobar's can deliver plenty current before saturating.
Small, easy to buy around the corner, a lot cheaper than regular coils.
A lot more expensive than a plain resistor though, cheapest is Schuro in Germany, 12.37 Euro ex. for a 2.2 mH/0.12 Ohm.
(imo, still a very good investment for the returns, 300mV ripple is not a healthy thing for your PS capacitors)

I did a test with the progam "PSU Designer II" and came to it that i should use a CRC power supply.

I added 2 x 68000uF and 2 x 0,47Ohms to the existing 4x47000uF caps.
The humm is a lot less, still something audiobile though....

This week i'll create a new capacitor bank with those stubbies i have laying around :)

My idea is to use CCRC ( all 68mF and 0,47Ohms)

Keep you posted....

Grtz,
Nick

I don't know if you have tried but for me the best solution is to make a stellar ground to eliminate any ground loops.... simply use the chassis for the ground, I'm sure you' ll resolve the problem.

Off topics: I loooooooooooooove The Netherlands, simply incredible place and a lot of lovely folks.

@ rinox

i know grounding is important, but my problems are not related to ground-isues.
A test with a multichannel scope reveilled a hum (100Hz) in phase with the ripple on the power caps.

I made a little error while calculating the wattage of those resistors.....:bawling:

I2xR gives me over 10W :hot:

So.......

Grtz,
Nick

ps : anybody had problems with "normal" rectifiers ? I hope no special care is needed for those guys !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.