• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Anode loaded 6080 giving less than unity gain, Why??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
poobah said:
You are talking about a method for PP analysis though, and I would like to learn more. I'm having trouble following why the impedance changes. You are talking about the effects of primaries driven simultaneously and a non superposition way of looking at the circuit?

If you look at class A PP as a balanced source then it might make sense. jlsem is right; it's not really that simple because rp varies with signal, so they don't make a truly balanced source. But it's a good simplification because it makes the analysis A LOT simpler.

Anyway, consider a 1:1 PP transformer. Put 1000 ohm resistors across each half of the secondary. Since it's a 1:1 transformer the plate to plate load seen at the primary is 2000 ohms.

Now ask yourself the question: what load is seen across each half of the primary? Seems obvious by inspection that it must be 1000 ohms. It's a 1:1 transformer; the same load that's across each half of the secondary must appear across each half of the primary. That's 1/2 the plate to plate load.

If you drive only one side of the primary then you have a 1:2 voltage ratio which is a 1:4 impedance ratio. In that case the load seen would be 1/4 * 2000 ohms = 500 ohms. 1/4 plate to plate.

Incidentally, it's not hard to prove using conservation of energy. Since it's a 1:1 transformer the same currents and voltages must exist at both the primary and secondary. If the tubes each saw 1/4 the plate to plate load in class A then there would be a different amount of power going into the transformer than coming out. In fact, IIRC (it's been a while since I proved it to myself) you'll get different calculated powers depending on whether you use i*v, v^2/R, or i^2*R.

OTOH, when driving only one side (pure class B, if such a thing existed) then the power calculations work out ok at 1/4 plate to plate load.

-- Dave

Attachments

• balancedpp.gif
    balancedpp.gif
    3.8 KB · Views: 125
I just wanted to correct some statements I have made.
The drive to the 6080's is 60Vpp which gives aplate output of 55Vpp.
The measurements I stated before were down to problems with I have with interpreting my scope. I apologies for any misunderstanding.

Shoog

Thanks Dave,

We were really talking apples and oranges... I didn't realize at first they we were talking about an "effective impedance" as a result of a compound analysis rather than a superposition type.

I'm itching to build a PP tube rig... if I can design or purchase OPT's that truely thrill me.

Funny you mention energy calcs... I am always using energy calcs to solve stuff. Crunch tricky stuff in a hurry and avoid all that Simulation and Laplace ****. One of these days I'll fork out for Mathematica and let it crunch instead... in the meantime, spreadsheets...

;)

We were really talking apples and oranges... I didn't realize at first they we were talking about an "effective impedance" as a result of a compound analysis rather than a superposition type.

Effective impedance is the same as the impedance seen by each tube in a push-pull scheme, which is the term I used in my post, for which I got hammered. Not apples and oranges.

Nice try,
John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.