And yet another trans lam for a friend.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Another shot of the rounded corner

Attachments

• dsc_0313.jpg
    dsc_0313.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 674
Very nice! Beautiful accents with the alternate veneer :)

I see just 4 grille mounting holes, does this mean that if a grille were applied it would spread accross the two seperate units?

Any word on the sound yet? Certainly looks like a good design so will interesting to hear what you say about it :)

Thank you guys.
This system like any others has some problems and coloration. It's hard for me to compare this speaker to a well known commercial system because I simply don't have them around.
The crossover is relatively simple 2nd order L-R crossed at 300hz and 2400hz. Nothing really fancy there in terms of parts. Mid ranges and tweeter have simple impedance compensation (R-C).
Tweeter has a raising response towards upper range (this is a no ferro fluid version of seas T25) so I've notched it out with parallel notch filter. Objectively FR has a shallow wide deep between the woofer and midrange (not happy) and the tweeter is a bit rolled of on the top (very happy about it). I almost had an argument with my friend because I wanted to work on the x-over a bit more but he was in a hurry, leaving to Europe, so TA-TA.
In terms of subjective opinion. . The owner of this served me with a bunch of tickets to Metropolitan Opera and a few for Jazz Standard before the final tune up.

I liked the ability of this speaker to reproduce loud complicated orchestral passages without any noticeable compression. Granted we used Bryston 4bst for amplification.
Spatial information on the recording was reproduced best I ever heard. Every little detail on the recording was very apparent. You clearly hear the studio ambiance and where every musician was located (given a good recording). I recently went to a live performance of Matthew Shipp Trio and picked up a CD right there. Then I listened to Joe Morris bass solo, boy oh boy, it sounded as close to live event as I could imagine. It is interesting that a rolled of tweeter sounded much closer to a live performance then a flat FR. Perhaps room-speaker interaction. Note decay was really great.

I ended up mounting the tweeter in a viscous elastomer and screwing it to the speaker through it. There's a solid MDF section that houses the tweeter and it's elastomer layer.
Midrange section was partially stuffed with a mixture of fiberglass and acustastaff from Parts Express.
Woofer enclosure was fully staffed with good old fiberglass and 5 inches of rock wool on the bottom.

Over all I was not entirely happy with the acoustic output of the cabinet. I did expect it to come out relatively non resonant and dead but alas that didn't happen. Oh well, next time I will build in a cement pocket.
In the end I think that a crossover expert could squeeze out considerably more. My impression is that a near bulletproof cabinet and very high quality drivers did the trick this time. Each speaker came out to 86 killo. About 200 hours of work in total.
I only listened to it for 3 days in a complete form.
Yes, single grill for each speaker.
Crossover is broken down in 3 sections and located in both cabinets.

Attachments

• dsc_0382copy.jpg
    dsc_0382copy.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 573
Gratz R-Carpenter... Great job.

Have you tried playing with the xo any more, my units had moments like yours until I got serious about the xo and just tried a few different things?

Have you considered lowering the x-over for the mid to bass drivers, say 150Hz to start?

Did the elastomer mounting of the tweeter make an audible difference? Will the vibrations just travel to the front-plate through the screws?

Hope you had a blast on the project mate... Love it!!

Dean

Thanks. I had a blast listening to this project while working on the crossover.
I think lowering crossover point to 150hz would call for an active filter and it wasn't in the plan for this one.
I can't objectively say that elastomer mounting for the tweeter made an audible difference. I "think" it did but to back up this statement, blind tests are needed and the system is long gone out of USA. May be next time I'll do more testing and data collection. Then you start building for yourself and time isn't an issue it's great but then "is it finished" becomes your wake up call////.....:sigh:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.