And yet another trans lam for a friend.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
R-Carpenter said:
ber Planet 10 suggested a-symmetrical placement of braces and attaching the magnet of the woofer to the bracing.

Indeed.

I do suspect that your lovely holey brace is only going to effectively brace that one slice of translam...

To be really effective what is needed is a form fitting brace running vertically that actually contacts each slice,

(The above is just conjecture on my part)

dave

Dave, All in good times. It's not exactly 5 minutes proposition and I am only working on this project on weekends. Would you silicon or epoxy the magnet to the brace?
Salas, the first thing I found under Rock Wool is a hydroponic substitute for planting greens. So I thought it was a good idea to grow so Basile and Tomatoes inside but then after further search I did find some Rock wool insulation. Now you are not talking about just heavy thick layers of wool but this specific Rockwool brand?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Mineral wool is called Rockwool too. Very common, I am sure you have seen it around hot pipes, in roofs, between walls, everywhere. Some acoustic isolation format example can be seen in this link.
Make sure you get the fluffy surfaced one not the hardened surface type. It itches strongly if allergic, use gloves.

Attachments

• screenshot.gif
    screenshot.gif
    25.3 KB · Views: 1,103
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
R-Carpenter said:
Would you silicon or epoxy the magnet to the brace?

That makes it hard to get the driver out. We just use precise dimensions and a bit of spacer if needed.

In an ideal world, one would have a driver designed to put a bolt thru the pole-piece, but i've only ever seen one driver that does that (and i have a pair)

dave

The speaker is in 2 parts and MTM will be separated from the woofer cabinet.
The internal diffraction I was trying to achieve didn't happen. Without dampening the cabinet rang just about as bad as if I'd make it square.
The rigidity of the walls however was quite a bit different. At high volume, walls vibrate allot less then a 1.5” thick flat top. I've added vertical bracing but decided not to attach the magnets to the bracing. I honestly don't see any point in it unless the basket is physically separated from the front panel. The tweeter has it's own enclosure and separated from the mid woofers by about 1.5” thick pocket walls.
Haven't done any measurements yet but put crossovers together with a drop of solder and eager hands.
Only had 3 hours to listen and the first impressions are strange. On Pink Floyd's “Pulse” the speakers disappear and “you are there”. Keith Jarret “Spheres” sounds amazing. Hissing thought out the recording is usually looked at as a defect, here it was obvious that it's the air coming out from organ pipes. Fist time I have heard mechanical clapping of organ on the background. Again there was no speakers, just music. On the “smaller” recordings like Dianna Krall or Holly Coll, it was exact opposite, the sound was coming out from 2 speakers and didn't form a cohesive sound stage. There's quite a bit of cheking and measuring to be done later.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Originally posted by R-Carpenter
I've added vertical bracing but decided not to attach the magnets to the bracing. I honestly don't see any point in it unless the basket is physically separated from the front panel.

The point is to share the reactive forces of the driver with more than the baffle (typically the weakest panel in the box). The point is to increase the downward dynamic range.

dave

Veneer is trimmed, precut to size and joined. In this case I will be using just a bag itself to press the veneer against the MDF. The vertical corners are 4 inch radius and I'd like to have veneer go around, so I can't use Formica or Flex Form. The trick is to use just enough glue and spread it very evenly so it does not lamps up under veneer. I have a good old glue roller with reservoir but a paint roller can be used.

Attachments

• dsc_0308.jpg
    dsc_0308.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 706
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.