And what did we buy today?

Thanks. Yeah, I think I may have seen the word 'halwa' in grocery stores in USA.
Much of exotic stuff is confused as I have Russia and and Swedish names for the dishes and products.

Anyway, and this should be told in the food thread, the carrot halwa is made from finely ground carrots cooked for ages in fat milk until turned into a pudding. I think sugar is added but not sure.

...I ran that thing for several hours a day for three days without a recharge. When I came home today there were still 2 out of 4 battery LEDs lit.

The lithium batteries are nice. Not only do they run a long time, they hold a charge better than the old NiCads when they're sitting around for awhile.

Only thing that bugs me with these new drills (mine at least) is the trend toward 1/2" chucks instead of 3/8". They won't hold a 1/16" bit anymore.

My previous drill, a DeWalt, had one of the brushes disintegrate on a job once. Weird thing was, it kept working, and I didn't even know what happened until I emerged from the dark hallway where I was working, and found graphite all over the inside of my hand where I'd been holding the back of the thing. Then I went back down the hall, and found several graphite hand prints all over the damn wall! And that stuff doesn't wash off - I had to find a pencil eraser and literally erase it all. :mad:

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I got a dayton IMM-6. I've been using an uncalibrated diy mic wand with a panasonic WM-60AY electret for years. I wanted to see how flat it really is, and possibly even make a calibration file for it.

bit dissapointed that the only programs on Android and IOS that do impulse responses (and allow use of the calibration file are paid for apps (The IOS one is I think over $300 if you get all the options!!) The Android one is only about $11.

However I figured that I'd be able to use it with REW or holm impulse with my Walin mic preamp. I did a quick test tonight with some aligator clips from an RCA lead to the IMM-6 and it looks promising. Just put it in RTA mode in REW and wistled and got a nice big spike at ~600 Hz (which was the same frequency I got when I tried it on a free app on the phone).

So now all I need is a TRRS socket a bit of shielded cable and an RCA plug and I'll be able to stick it on the end of my Mic wand and take some "calibrated" measuements.

Attachment is the mic cal file for this particular mic.

Tony.

Attachments

• mic_cal.png
    mic_cal.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 154
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I hadn't but just did. The inbuilt sound card is doing something funky with it... see attached. It appears to be band limiting it between 100 and 7000 hz...

I've already packed up and about to go to bed, so can't show the result through the preamp (didn't save a screenshot).

Tony.

Attachments

• funky_rta.png
    funky_rta.png
    58 KB · Views: 152
don't rely on Lithium Ion to work in cold conditions. For that keep a NiCD battery hanging around.

I know the limitations on Lithium in cold since I was a cell phone designer in a previous (corporate) life. It gets cold here. I have seen -15 F (-26 C) one winter. My car refused to start on that morning. I need to pay careful attention to the temps if I need to use this thing outside in the winter, since recharging a frozen lithium cell can kill it. That's why I'm keeping the old drill.

Oddly it was cold discharge / recharge cycles that killed what's left in the old NiCads. I had to rebuild the front steps to my house in the middle of winter this past year when freezing water busted up some of the wood.

I worked outside for about a week in 0 F (-17 C) to 35 F (+2 C) conditions. I kept swapping batteries in and out of the charger rather quickly in the cold conditions. One became rather hot and died permanently (no longer charges at all) and another refuses to charge after a couple of days of this abuse. Only two of the five batteries work at all any more. One of the dead ones has been disassembled for rebuilding.

Very Rare Occurance at the local Goodwill store

That being a decent piece of gear in the store.
I was there to clear up an error in the price I paid for a pair of KLH 8" three-ways the week before.

Although 90% of this store's merchandise is dumpster low quality junk, I figured as long as I was there I should do a quick look around anyway.

Lo and behold, I was surprised to find a very clean Yamaha DVD-S1200 DVD/CD player. No remote but it plays CDs flawlessly, using just the simple front panel buttons.

And its sound quality is outstanding. I'll try a movie DVD later today, but even if it has no video functions at all it was a great score at the ridiculously low price I paid.

Can I mention the price here?

In any case, pinch me!

Regards, -DAAB-

Picked up a new toy this past weekend. I helped a friend build it and after a year he decided he wasn't really into camping.

If you can call this camping.

I'm used to a tent.

I'll try it out this weekend at the local home-brew club fall camp out.

Attachments

• DSCN3141.jpg
    DSCN3141.jpg
    746 KB · Views: 223
Picked up a new toy this past weekend. I helped a friend build it and after a year he decided he wasn't really into camping.

If you can call this camping.

I'm used to a tent.

I'll try it out this weekend at the local home-brew club fall camp out.

Nice! I considered building one of those before we had kids, but there's no point now.

Member SCD has a nice commercial one, the ones that are neither wood nor teardrop shaped.

I wanted to build one and had collected plans, etc. I had planned to do it after I retire in a couple of years, as I don't have the room to build one right now.

I got talking to a buddy of mine and he decided to build one. I went over several times to lend a hand and watch progress.

Like I said, he found he didn't use it so I paid what he had in material. He broke even, I saved the labor.

Nice! I considered building one of those before we had kids, but there's no point now.
I feel for ya big guy. I would say I am sad for you but that would be a lie.
Member SCD has a nice commercial one, the ones that are neither wood nor teardrop shaped.
He has a very nice unit and I must say, this one here looks similar to Scott's. If you were there for the tour, you would realize this would barely fit you. Others here don't realize you're the size of a small building. The Mrs. would have to sleep on top of you. I know that sounds like torture so maybe think of something just a wee larger.

Cheers big guy.

I feel for ya big guy. I would say I am sad for you but that would be a lie.

He has a very nice unit and I must say, this one here looks similar to Scott's. If you were there for the tour, you would realize this would barely fit you. Others here don't realize you're the size of a small building. The Mrs. would have to sleep on top of you. I know that sounds like torture so maybe think of something just a wee larger.

Cheers big guy.

I'm not quite THAT big. I still feel anorexic at an NFL game.

We'll eventually camp again. I have to find a campground with full running water toilet facilities and Weiwei will come around.

Whole bunch of PGA2311A ICs & other remaining parts needed to finally get started building my 12 (or maybe 16) channel master level control for the full-active surround system. After months of hanging out here talking about coffee and whatnot, I may actually build a piece of audio gear for the first time since... I can't even remember the last time. :rolleyes: