And what did we buy today?

I Finally got a picture of my Tek 2465a seen here with my Hitachi V-425 that I have had for 30years.

I got it Three weeks ago for a Smashing $250 with Probes, 5 of them !!! :D

Cheers !!! :)

jer :)

Attachments

• 100_0004.jpg
    100_0004.jpg
    803.9 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
Nice scope, analog with plenty of BW.

manual here:

Thanks for the link!
Everything seems to work, although I think a few of the pots may need careful cleaning. Display is reasonably sharp too, considering the vintage.
I had a peek inside and (happily) it looks like it hasn't been messed with in the past. In an age of mass production, it's kind of nice to see the initials of the QA techs on the boards, and the signature of the person who blessed the instrument. :)

I Finally got a picture of my Tek 2465a seen here with my Hitachi V-425 that I have had for 30years.

I got it Three weeks ago for a Smashing $250 with Probes, 5 of them !!! :D

Cheers !!! :)

jer :)

I bought a Hitachi scope many years ago and it worked very well.
Then treat myself to a Phillips scope.
The Phillips scope lasted a couple of years then died.
So went back to Hitachi scope and used that since, it just keeps on working.
I think I paid about £40 for it because it had one channel not working properly. Not bad for a scope that has lasted me 8 years.

We used Hitachi scopes in the Motorola plant for troubleshooting, testing and tuning of several two way radio products. We modified maybe 50 of the cheapest ones for use as deviation monitors with the budget Cushman CE-31 communications analyzers since the CE-31 did not have a built in scope. I performed several of the modifications myself. Drill a hole, add a switch.

I guessed at the Hitachi model number (V-151) and plugged my guess into Google to see if I was right. The first hit was a scope on Ebay and the picture showed one of the modified units from the Motorola plant. Maybe it's one that I modified.

Hitachi Model V-151B 15Mhz Oscilloscope with probe. | eBay

We ran those scopes continuously for 18 hours a day over a period of maybe 10 years. I don't remember ever having to fix one. In an act of piling too much stuff on a cart one while rearranging a test station in the factory, of the V-151's took about a 4 foot tumble to the concrete floor. The case was a bit bent, but to my amazement it still worked, needing only a twist of the CRT to level the trace.

I purchased a couple of them from the scrap sale when they shut down the HT90 / HT440 product. They were a good cheap scope and I used one for years until I got a TEK-2232 cheap. I still use the TEK today but I have to smack it some times to get it to start up and it will spontaneously reboot whenever it wants to.

Grabbed a little Dell Inspiron netbook (do they still call them that?) open-box at Best Buy for $120. Using it just to play music from the NAS box with Foobar (controlled by a phone app) - WiFi in, HDMI out. Was planning on Ethernet in, but didn't notice this little bugger doesn't even have an Ethernet jack! Hell, it's too skinny to even fit one. Oh well, so far everything is glitch-free with wireless. Nice not to have to start up the big old HTPC just to listen to music, plus it's fanless. So far so good.

After over 18 years of reliable service my Makita 18 volt cordless drill is still taking everything I throw at it, but the NiCad batteries are no longer up to the task. Hey, this stuff is old enough to wear the "Made in Japan" label. Faced with a rather large task in a remote and hard to access location I decided it's time for a new one........the old one wont go away since it's batteries are screwed together and use sub C cells, so purchase number one was a 15 pack of Tenergy NiCad cells.

Number two was a new 18 Volt Makita with Lithium power.

The new drill arrived last Wednesday but I decided to beat on it for a few days before making the decision to keep it or return it to Amazon. It's a keeper.

The old drill weighs almost 6 pounds with the battery. This gets tiresome in my 65 year old hands after 3 boxes of sheetrock screws into 2 X 4's over five days. I had to swap the old batteries every 3rd to 5th screw, but they recharge in about 15 minutes.

The new drill arrived for the third day, and sped the process up a lot because I didn't need to swap batteries and it's lighter (3.8 pounds) and smaller for ease of use in tight places. I ran that thing for several hours a day for three days without a recharge. When I came home today there were still 2 out of 4 battery LEDs lit.

Attachments

• P1850430_x.jpg
    P1850430_x.jpg
    408.9 KB · Views: 146