And what did we buy today?

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I bought a lump of coal 'cause I didn't get one at Hallowe'en and I am not expecting one in my stocking.

Your grocery store carries it too?? I thought my store was just being naughty.

Attachments

• 81VXbFZA3cL._SL1449_.jpg
    81VXbFZA3cL._SL1449_.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 167
The store, Orchard Supply Hardware, was a remnant of the days when what is now Silicon Valley was called "The Valley of Heart's Delight", with wall - to - wall orchards. Those orchards are pretty much all gone now, and we grow silicon here instead. OSH used to sell sickles, sheep shears, sacks of coal, sacks of sulfur (for fertilizer as well as for preserving fruit), and many other oddities useful for farmers - even electric motors. At least, that was the case when I moved out to the valley in 1980. They also had a nice selection of screws and other hardware. Once Sears got hold of them, the rot started.

Behringer Model D (Minimoog clone), on sale this week for USD $220. Not quite the deal that George got, but pretty close! :)

This is as close to owning a Minimoog as I'm gonna get. I was pleasantly surprised to discover their additional mod source/switching scheme, which is nearly identical to a mod I did on a customer's Minimoog about 40 years ago! I would sue them for stealing my idea, but I'd probably have to take a number & queue up, heh.

So George, do you think there are any new Minimoog patches under the sun these days?

I sold a calculator for a few bucks as I didn't see the need of that kind of display. Still haven't regret it.
Got some simple cheap LED-clocks from China, but I want to make me one or more clocks with VFDs. Some of them are compact 4-digit displays but I also bought six bigger 1-digit displays. However how to interface them is another story. The Russian ICs will do, but my old National ICs will require more job.

NEW CAR! :car: :cool:
After work - gonna sign our lives away for a new 2020 Subaru Outback Touring-XT
(Replacing our 2010 version that is considerably more "basic".)

Our 2010 has been a GOOD machine - reliable and great in our crappy Winters around here, plus lots of room for Summer trips while still getting respectable mileage.
Only real complaint with the old one was "Lack of Giddyup" and marginal rear visibility when backing-out of our rather long driveway.
[I think that when dealer installed Trailer Hitch - they probably accidentally disconnected the backup illumination, which never seemed to work (2010 has NO back-up cam)]

New one has a turbo for extra ponies when needed but still normal fuel economy of 4-banger and back-up camera, nicer seats, and loads of electronic goodies to play with...

Last edited:
NEW CORDLESS POWER TOOLS:
Local Hardware Store had their "Tool Days" Event -
Discounts on Power Tools from a variety of manufacturers and other specials.

The 9.6 Volt Batteries died / will no longer take a charge in my trusty old Makita.
Makita stopped making replacement batteries for it - so, OUT with the OLD / IN with the NEW!
(Had the 5/8" drill that took the "long, flat-stick" type batteries.)

So, sticking with Makita: got new LXT 18-Volt Kit with Hammer Drill, Impact Driver, Quick-Charger, Case and (2) Batteries.
All powered with their new-gen Brushless Motors.
[$50 USD Instant Rebate and Rep threw-in an Extra 5 Amp-Hour Battery.]

So now I'm "set" for about another 15 years or so

Last edited: