Analyzer Software Overview

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If you're going for this piece of cutting edge equipment, I would think that the software that gets the best out of it would be #1 on your list. That may very well be mid-pack in the pricing and some really good software might also be freeware.

Demian and others have spent their time checking various software packages. Read what they have to say and see which is the closest to your applications and obtain that package.

"Getting started" for the hardware will likely be packed with it. "Getting started" otherwise would depend on what software and OS you are using.

-Chris

Hello,
I don't know if I choosen appropriate thread but I need sanity check from someone more experienced with measurment software. Is it possible to achieve such good results with relativly cheap soundcard? I'm using Creative X-Fi Titanium HD which is based at PCM1794 DAC chip and PCM4220 ADC. No modificatins were made to hardware apart from replacing NJM2114 with LME49720. Test signal in both cases is 1kHz -3dBFS. 24 bit 96kHz, using ASIO to bypass windows mixer. 13k FFT with Hanning window. Line out to line in with RCA cable.
In my opinion results looks too good to be true. Some results found in internet to compare:
RMAA
RMAA and Audio Precision (opens PDF)
I will probably retake my measurments later with stock NJM2114 opamps. Maybe thats LME49720 bring so much improvement?

Attachments

• X-Fi Titanium HD 2496 ASIO.png
    X-Fi Titanium HD 2496 ASIO.png
    106.1 KB · Views: 533
  • X-Fi Titanium HD 2496 ASIO Arta.PNG
    X-Fi Titanium HD 2496 ASIO Arta.PNG
    91.9 KB · Views: 532
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hello,
I don't know if I choosen appropriate thread but I need sanity check from someone more experienced with measurment software. Is it possible to achieve such good results with relativly cheap soundcard? Maybe thats LME49720 bring so much improvement?

Those are very good results. Better than I got from the demo board. I don't have one of those cards so I can't duplicate the results directly. if you get the same harmonics with several software packages and at several sample rates they may be real. Usually the lowest distortion is at about -15 dBFS. I'm not sure what level you are operating at.

isolating power line interference

....Snip

Please ignore the mains-induced hum... that was purely radiated interference from a different test instrument.

Some musings while I am making space on my bench for the RTX6001.

You are completely right about the radiated power line interference and power line harmonics radiating into the FFT results.

I have access to an assortment of audio analyzers. Powerline interference is like sand in the desert it gets into everything. It is difficult for me to tell if it is coming from the bench power supplies and or the clip on test leads. Or what?

In a past issue of Linear Audio I saw Guido Tent using BNC connectors for his test platform and not using clip test leads at all.

Any thoughts about isolating power line interference from our bench top tests? Some people do not post the low frequency end of their FFT test plots.

DT

Just to clarify. In the posted measurements above the FireFace UCX was located on my Keithley 2015 multimeter. The multimeter was on and the balanced cables for the loopback were lying on the metal housing of the Keithley. After I took the screenshots the multimeter was turned off and the mains harmonics were completely gone :).

Against the LF Noise I would recommend balanced interconnections with high quality braided shield wire. Anything else?

Given, the equipment is top notch and the interconnencts are balanced / shielded or better still with internal loop back.

What my musing is about is the single end breadboard DUT on the bench.

Any thought regarding keeping the radiated power line interference out of the test circuit.

DT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.