An initial watt revision of a classic little amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It is painfully slow

Good evening. This amplifier it seems, is taking forever. Working long hours leaves not much fun time..........but what are you gonna do? :grumpy:

PS is almost done, need to fabricate the back panel, match the transistors, build the amps on the heatsinks then maybe give it a listen. After all that I hope she don't blow both literally and figuratively :D

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    724.2 KB · Views: 215
Power supply on test

Voltage no load for 2 minutes: 52.6 volts
Voltage full load (100 ohm resistor) 49.1 volts

Calculated ripple voltage input capacitor only (600ma per channel X 2): 424 mV
Calculated ripple voltage single channel with addition of 50 mH choke and 3300
uF output capacitor per channel: 4.54.mV
No scope yet, unfortunately can't measure....working on that....
OK no smoke,

Have a good week

Terry

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    620.9 KB · Views: 179
One clip lead short........

Hello,

The rats nest is the final tweaking before finally assembling the amp. One amp is assembled on the heatsink with the driving tube lashed up and swinging in the breeze. I have all of my sources connected in the living room, so used a Grundig radio as a music source. There is a Bogen S86 hooked up. It has an LCR filter in series, to tame the middle. I could rattle on about the sound, but all I can say is it delivers the type of sound I like. Whether or not that is hi or fi or hifi I can't really say. It is very clear sound, even with this type of input and the bass is there, in spite of the Bogen. I expect it will be even better with better sources. I have spent the weekend studying the active load part of the circuit, and must confess, still don't understand it, but what the hey, it works. I had to trim the 4.75K resistor to 2.2K, to bring the midpoint to 26 volts (VCC is 49VDC). I may be able to procure the scope I need in a couple of weeks, so if I do will look at waveforms and post.

Have a good week,
Terry

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    763.3 KB · Views: 159
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    656.1 KB · Views: 154
Making music

Good evening,
This amplifier is up and working. It is sounding wonderful with no hum or anything at all. The oscilloscope deal fell through, so sorry, no scope pics of waveforms, but after having enjoyed this amp for a couple of days, I honestly can't see the point in looking at waveforms, my ears say "who cares!". Dave Brubeck-Time Further Out is playing, and it is a joy.
Have to say this is a tribute to the late Sir Douglas Hall. If he was living I'd invite him over for a listen. Nelson Pass also has to be acknowledged for the design of the Aleph current sources. I will pat myself on the back for persistence :)
The amp is playing through a pair of Bogen S-86, which have some plumber's putty around the basket and some rubber plus Gorilla tape back there. One coat of Damar on dustcap and a little beyond, operating open baffle........they will get me by. This amp actually has WAF.....wow that's never happened before....and she is willing to allow me to purchase some Visiton B200s.....now that's progress.
I am working on the schematic which has some small revisions, and will post soon. Tonight the lights will go low and I will listen to Apocalypse-Mahavishnu Orchestra.............

Best,
Terry

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    697.2 KB · Views: 128
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    713.5 KB · Views: 71
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.