An attempt at treating a small room

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ShinOBIWAN[/i] [B]Thanks for the input. I remember seeing pics of your room with free standing absorbers along the side walls. Your right about such rooms being a PITA. It sounds like you've a similar room because mine too has a door on the longer wall which in this case is the rear of the room. Sadly its right in the corner so even if you swapped the hinges round to open outward said:
I understand the basic problems of a room, but I think I am missing something when you say that removing too much of the room is a bad thing... can you elaborate a little? just curious :)

Just adding to ShinOBIWAN's response. I was fortunate enough to see Seigfried Linkwitz speak at an AES talk in London a while back (I think Vikash was there too). One of his points was that it's very hard to achieve broadband absorption in a 'real' room, so what happens is that some of the frequencies are captured, and some are reflected. In effect, you're changing the spectral content of the reflected sounds, which is very confusing, as it's unnatural.

I did ask him about very small rooms (typical UK living rooms), as I've found that some treatment is useful. He agreed that was a problem, and suggested omnipolar speakers as a potential solution. He wasn't opposed to bass traps, but if I recall correctly, he prefers not using absorption at reflection points.

Of course, for those of us with smaller rooms, some absorption is a necessary compromise. However, overuse of inappropriate absorption (such as lots of drapes or soft foam) simply kills the higher frequencies, leaving the room sounding very unpleasant.

Hey shin

(am tempted to echo a line from star wars..."help me Shinobiwan Kenobi' but decided I don't look good with buns in my hair)

I didn't really give it much thought before..but just how do we (ok ok, I mean me) get a measurement of the MATT signal??

Don't know if you have given it any thought yet. All I have really is the deqx measurement system (which I doubt will do any good) and REW, which again I don't know how to use with these signals.

heh heh, are you sick of writing tutorials yet??:D

thanks shin, have downloaded audacity...looks like it will do the job.

Had a little bit of a drunken bleary eyed play last night, couldn't get a microphone signal in. Which is odd, cause I know the mixer etc works with REW (I always recommend REW to people on the basis of 'If I got it going, anyone can'. Quite proud of myself actually that I got it going)

Anyway, there seems to be plenty of tutorials on the net on how to use it, so reading them in a sober state should turn up the (completely certain) silly little oversight I have somewhere.

I have had what I think is great idea, and while I don't mind making a fool of myself on an open forum (with my track record how could I???) for this one right now I'd like to keep it quiet a bit.

I'd like to run it by you. Could you e-mail me??

If you have the slightest desire not to (I dunno, not wanting to waste time with idiots for example), then please by all means tell me to sod off.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
More progress.

The vertical blinds will be going to be replaced by venetian blinds with oak slats. This will carry across to the oak cabinets at the front of the room.

The room acoustic is getting better and better all the time. I think without the fabric and just the rockwool it was perhaps too dead. Certainly when it was without fabric and you entered the room then it felt odd compared to the rest of the house. The slight amount of reflectivity in the higher frequencies given by the fabric is now lending a fresh sound to the room. By that I mean there's no disturbing reverb, echo, flutter or whatever else and it simply feels open and somewhat like behing outdoors at night when there's minimal ambient noise.

Pretty cool. Still not got any speakers in yet to test it out and have decided to leave this now until its finished.

roombuild27.jpg

roombuild28.jpg

Finally the 2 seater recliner arrived from DFS. Still plenty to do and in particular the cabinet at the front of the room will take awhile but its coming together.

roombuild29.jpg

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
All treatments for the walls are now finished:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Next up are the fitted cabinets at the front of the room. I was planning to build these myself but time and shitty British weather is against me so in the end I've gone with a local small bespoke furniture company who are working to a design very similar to what's shown below. You don't even want to know how much its cost but the materials and workmanship are first rate. Should be ready within the next two weeks.

Hi Ant,

Looking good.

I know what you mean about the weather; I dream of a huge workshop, so I can make stuff (and spray) without needing to wait for a dry day.

BTW I see you've used the most advanced form of acoustic treatment on the wall/floor intersection; the teddy bear :D:

Originally posted by ShinOBIWAN

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
The cabinets arrived but as usual, things never go smoothly.

The centre cabinet went up like a dream but the problem lies with the flanking side cabinets. The company building them got both the width AND the depth wrong so there's a nice big gap between the wall and side cabinet and worse still, there's excess depth meaning they foul the side wall treatments. Looks to me like someone took 20mm off the width and put it on the depth for some reason. My order was probably a last-of-the-day job :roll:

Can't say I was very happy but the owner sounded even less happy that someone on his staff screwed up all that wood :D I've been promised replacements ASAP.

roombuild36.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.