Amplifier ranking

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

My ranks (why are male humans always so keen for rankings :confused: :) ):

1. DoZ
2. Accusound-Pro (just heard one)
3. LC Audio End Millenium
4. P3A
5. Gainclone
6. My vocal chords :D (used to shout for a death metal band, pretty loud...)

Yet to try: Pass Labs stuff, Aussieamplifier stuff, tube stuff, digital amp stuff...

Bye,

Arndt

Ok, now I'm sure you guys have lost the plot.

It was bad enough when people started raving about how great the "Gainclone" is (LM3875 = Self class B or worse on a chip) - please, talk about mid-fi boom-box quality sound! And I'm sure the National engineers didn't have any particular Zen or other airy-fairy philosophy in mind while designing this chip:clown:

Now you want to rate the ~40 year old JLH design as number one? Hello guys, welcome to the real world. Are you really suggesting that we haven't advanced audio design at all in the last 40 years and that we must all own horn loaded speakers to be able to get away with 10 strictly limited watts?:smash:

(No offence intended to anyone - just felt the need to vent my frustration!)

P.S. I have built and listened to both these designs!

???

if you look at the designs for the best tube amps you will see, that some schematics and designs are much older the 40 years!

how will you explain, that a 300B tube is sounding so good?
in your opinion 300B should sound bad, because the designs are very old.

But the real world shows us that the things are diffrerent!
And why should a transistor amp sound bader - because the design is older then 40 years??

I hav the ability to compare all my ams with commercially build 15 Thousand dollar amps and i do not think that a 40 year old design sounds bader!

i think you should look after the real world...

Ralf

owdeo said:
Ok, now I'm sure you guys have lost the plot.

It was bad enough when people started raving about how great the "Gainclone" is (LM3875 = Self class B or worse on a chip) - please, talk about mid-fi boom-box quality sound! And I'm sure the National engineers didn't have any particular Zen or other airy-fairy philosophy in mind while designing this chip:clown:

Now you want to rate the ~40 year old JLH design as number one? Hello guys, welcome to the real world. Are you really suggesting that we haven't advanced audio design at all in the last 40 years and that we must all own horn loaded speakers to be able to get away with 10 strictly limited watts?:smash:

(No offence intended to anyone - just felt the need to vent my frustration!)

P.S. I have built and listened to both these designs!

Time and money are limited, I have only built 3 versions of JLH. So in order to rank what I have built with my own bare hands from scratch so far, hence the outcome.. I have not thought about building a boom-box yet, it may turn out better than the JLH, who knows..

Since you have built and listened to different designs I would love to see what are your preferences, it may be a inspiration for the rest of us to try as the next project or shall we stop diy altogether. DIY audio can be a very lonely experience if you do not have the same mind set(hobby) people among you. Especially my social circle only judge products on price and appearances alone. DIY is waste of money and time kind of opinion for everyone around me. ESPECAILLY my other half!

Best Regards,
Chris

Hi!
For my taste the best amps are:
1, Balanced Zen a'la Kristijan Kljucaric with BOSOZ
2, JLH 1969
3, Hiraga The Monster
4, Ion Obelisk
5, Gaincard-1875

Now I am in the Aleph 5 building progress and I plan to build an inductor loaded SOZ in spring.
So, later I will give you a new ranking! I hope the order will change! :))

Best Regards for every DIY-ers!
Tyimo

My Selection....

Power Amps:

1) AKSA 100N
2) AKSA 55N
2=) P3A with Sanken o/p trannies, dual mono etc
4) JLH 80W Mosfet amps with improved low current regs and unregulated high current supplies, dual mono.
5) About 20 variations (including my own variations) of the Borbely 60W mosfet/DC100 amps (not built on official boards).
6) Mini Crescendo
7) Maplin Mosfet amps
15) TDA1541

Aleph 30/5 under construction.

Pre-Amps:
1) Scratch built Grounded Grid
2) BOSOZ
3) AD717 (or OPA627 etc etc etc) buffered passive pre with shunt reg PSU (and tons of other power supplies as well)
4) Stan Curtis System A
5) Various passive preamps
6) (Part of) Amp-02 by Ben Duncan
7) Single ended BJT amp by Graham (Nutty) Nalty
8) Daniel - vacuum tube preamp (by JJ Curcio)

Dave

Hi!
Here is my new ranking:

1, Aleph5 with BOSOZ
2, Balanced Zen a'la Kristijan Kljucaric with BOSOZ
3, JLH 1969
4, Hiraga The Monster
5, Ion Obelisk
6, Gaincard-1875

And again: Now I am in the inductor loaded SOZ building progress and I plan to build an "OTL a'la Tubtvr" in spring.
So, later I will give you a new ranking! I hope the order will change! :))

Jam!
The Ion Obelisk is a Class AB SE amp with astonishing musical sound. The designer was Richard M. Hay ( also designer of some Radfords! ) The Ion is the basic of the legendary Nytech amps

Best Regards for every DIY-ers!
Tyimo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.