Amplifier ranking

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
WHY IS THIS THREAD DEAD?

I have been building many amps, but I have been focusing on building lateral mosfet amps now.

I don't know, bipolar amps sound so strange to me. Everytime I build something like AKSA clones, DOZ, Pavel's Follower, P3A, they all sound... like JLH, like bipolar amps....

Le Monstre is a bit different. Many people love the sound of JFET-input amps. But I think I don't...

Actually I like the sound of the Sanken device as is used in the End Millenium. But I don't have it now and I don't want to invest on new output devices. My "latest" bipolar builds are based on 2N3773, 2SD341, 2SD641, 2SD556, A1516/C3907, B1317/D1975... Bad stuffs I know but most of them are original devices coming from the past.

So my desire is to build the best sounding lateral mosfet amp. In the last 12 months my work has been based on JLH A/AB 30W, Alephs, and Quassy complementary NMOS. There are these things that I want to build:

(1) Mark Alexander's amp clone. IGBT output to be replaced with lateral mosfet. Probably discrete opamp input stage.

(2) Stochino amp. Vertical output to be replaced with lateral mosfet.

(3) JLH A/AB 30W based amps. Now I'm focusing on using single ended input stage with DC servo like in the Mooly's Amp.

(4) Quasi N-Mosfet. Holton's amp, Quasi NMOS, Bora's Legend, Naim amps and even bipolar quasi-complementary amps seem to have merits (I guess p-channel devices are still not good enough?). The critical main objective in this NMOS project is to use 2SK2221 lateral mosfet in the output.

HI,

cause of finding the best diy amplifier i start this thread.

regards,

Ralf

Its highly unlikely that everyone has built every amp so judgements should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Also, what sounds good to one person sounds terrible to someone else.

The only real test is to listen to each amp yourself in turn and decide which one sounds best. Even then if you are going to use different speakers it will probably sound different again.

Its highly unlikely that everyone has built every amp so judgements should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Also, what sounds good to one person sounds terrible to someone else.

The only real test is to listen to each amp yourself in turn and decide which one sounds best. Even then if you are going to use different speakers it will probably sound different again.

OK........ and your ranking is ? ................... :drink:

Where do the amps rank in 2012? SymAsym? Goldmund? SKA GB150? GB300? NAKSA100 ?

Amplifiers with balanced topology tends to be a winner, especially if the system is fully balanced.

From SKA simplified schematic, a latfet in CFP arrangement (even if the distortion is usually higher then EF) may have some cult followers. But from my experience, lacking drive, mosfet amps will sound boring. In a 3 stage amplifier with latfet CFP, the mosfet will not have sufficient drive to fulfill my taste.

Pass mosfet amplifiers have fanatic followers. You can live with any of Pass amp for a long time. Imo, one of the reason is because Pass amps have proper drive for the mosfet.

To build the best amp, parts especially the active ones, transistors, must also be the best. This is even truer when the topology play less role, such as in a single ended topology. Power JFETS is probably the best available, but only Pass amplifiers have it. I noticed also that Vladimirk has access to very good mosfet and power jfet.

To rank amplifiers, they are must be grouped, at least by power.

At 5W, I think Pass amp with its power JFET is the best. Haven't heard a F2J, but if it is times better than F2 then it must be good.

At 25W, again, I think Pass amp with its power JFET is the best. This has been proven in blind tests. My favorite (not necessarily the best) is my latest build, an AlephPJ with 2SK246 and 2SJ162, 5.5W (no schematic available).

At 50W-180W, my champion is a variation of TSSA (no schematic available).

At 200W and above, taste and knowledge (when building or matching with other components/speaker) is important, especially because high power class-B will not be perfect. My favorite goes to Goldmund, with selected parts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.