Amp Camp Amp - ACA

I don't understand why the jfet at the input is so strict, while it is configured as a repeater. A BD139 bjt, or 2N7000 mosfet, or even IRF510 can be used in a repeater configuration and can provide more current for the final stage. In this way, the supply voltage can be raised further and more output mosfets can be put in parallel for more power. It's just a repeater! It does not affect the sound at all. The only one that amplifies the voltage is Q1.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Every schematic Papa is giving to us, is having two functions:

• to give exact recipe for building new toy
  • to nudge you in direction of using own brain

so, yes, no reason to not use any other viable solution for input buffer

but, correction from my side - even if buffer, it is contributing to sound of entire amp; not much but there are differences (THD and/or THD SPectra) between various arrangements

that not being a reason against pursuing different option, and maybe you'll even more like that different one

Reactions: 1 user
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I've just said something what was confirmative of your thoughts and ideas, not quite as you understood it

If you have troubles with English, beware of fights and steal knowledge in silence

When you get to level of understanding what exactly is said, you'll not see reasons for conflicts

Free tip - be polite, and you'll be served, and even politely corrected, when people get that you didn't understood something

Reactions: 1 users
I have tried a similar (Meanwell RSP series) chassis mount PSU in my ACA. It works, but does not sound any better than the brick style SMPS. In my opinion, it is not worth the extra effort to install one of these in the larger chassis that will be necessary.
A much better option is to build a linear power supply with a 300VA transformer. Each secondary can be independently wired to a CRC or better filter for each channel. This option has much better bass extension and definition vs either of the SMPS supplies.

my ACA(英语:myACA)
微信图片_20240307183151.jpg

Reactions: 9 users