Amp Camp Amp - ACA

Just my two cents

My preference, the LEDs should have standard holders. A great kit, "professional" except for lack penny worth LED holders, other items such as switch terminal size, power plug - see has been changed. Sound impeccable. Thank you to Mr. Pass. Wrapped shrink around LEDs tight fit into panel - did NOT shrink heat onto LED. See back panel wire change I made, soldered then cut to fit length after. Changed ground bus rotating power plug solder one wire over both PSU bus lugs, if helps anyone was worth the post. Not much required to make this a true beauty inside.

Having soldering issues? May help "pre" tin leads and holes on PCBs small amount of solder. Even if holes closed by solder hold the wire and reheat causes solder become fluid push wire into molten solder viola - two hands works like three solder complete.

Cutting words short - cause tells me too many.

Pics if I can post them follow

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I made up a set of the most recent maximum power specs.
We get the following, taking clipping as 3% distortion.

4 OHMS 19V SUPPLY 5W

4 OHMS 24V SUPPLY 5W

8 OHMS 19V SUPPLY 5W

8 OHMS 24V SUPPLY 8W

8 OHMS BALANCED 19V SUPPLY 15W

8 OHMS BALANCED 24V SUPPLY 15W

16 OHMS BALANCED 19V SUPPLY 10W

16 OHMS BALANCED 24V SUPPLY 15W

There will be some full curves for you soon.....

Hi All,
Brand new here, lurking for a while but I have not posted until now. I am thinking about getting a pair of these during the pre order period for balanced/bridged configuration. My question is on some balanced outputs(the input to these amps) the low side of signal is ground and not an invert of the high side signal. So will these amps work like that?

6L6
thanks

Had a look at the schematic and the frequency/distortion tests, I noticed that the amp can be build with GNFB or without which would impact the loudspeaker damping factor, personally I am for no GNFB, what would the DF be??.

The schematic shows the GNFB with a DF = 10

My KT88 SE amp has a DF = 3.8 which is good.

How do I order??.

Appreciate your input.

I received an email about availability of the balanced monos for preorder. Wanted a pair immediately.
I have a Zen amp somewhere. I had a Aleph 60 Clone, but gave it to a friend.
The Zen was about 30 watt. Capacitor coupled single ended mosfet amp. Anyone heard both a Zen and the ACA? I like to think I need around 50 Watts with current speakers.
Used high efficiency speakers with the Zen, Aleph, and a Le Monstre.

I think the popularity of this thing has exceeded all expectations, and unfortunately coordinating several international supply chains is not easy-peasy - try it sometime. ;)

If you're looking for a FirstWatt based design, you should probably consult the Amplifier Comparison Chart at FIRST WATT PRODUCTS

Some of the designs listed have already been released to the public, and have had kit versions or at least PCB and full BOM offered through the DIY Audio Store.

Which of them might be most suitable to your needs is anybody's guess. I've heard a pair of the original ACA monoblocks driving medium efficiency "full-range driver" speakers in a fairly large room - but certainly not at rock concert levels.

I am thinking about getting a pair of these during the pre order period for balanced/bridged configuration. My question is on some balanced outputs(the input to these amps) the low side of signal is ground and not an invert of the high side signal. So will these amps work like that?

Any answers? Is the question not understandable? I don't want to spend $634(and labor to build) if it is not going to work.

Hi All,

also a noobie here, new to ACA and close to new to electronics.

Pre-ordered the ACA V1.6 yesterday :D and as there is some time till delivery starts, I'm also looking for a matching (DIY)-Preamp. The preamp should be used with the ACA, the speakers are about 94dB and I use a CD-Player and Phono as a source. Balanced is not necessary, remote is fine but also not necessary.

I'm not quite sure if a passive Preamp will match the ACA (10kΩ Input Impedance is not that much and I don't know the sensitivity of the ACA). So maybe a Preamp with gain will be better.

Do you have any recommendations for me?

Erich

It's really tough to go wrong with one of John Broskie's Aikido preamplifier kits (I'm a huge fan of the Aikido LV).

You'd need to build / buy a chassis for it, but you can get pretty much every other portion of a preamp build (potentiometers, power supplies, transformers, selector switches) from Broskie's site.

-D