amp been in for repair, not fixed need advice to trace faults

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It appears to be 18 ohms (brown, grey, black) or a 1R8 precision resistor (brown, grey, black, gold) 10% ?? What does it measure with a meter?

The colour bands don't seem to make sense to me, so I may not have seen this coding before. If the schematic where this resistor is was available, that would give a good clue.

-Chris

sorry i mean its R634, . it shows 624 on scematic but not shown in service manual so think its a typo as i checked the curcuit and its printed as r634.
heres the pictures.

SCEENEW2.jpg

SCENEW1.jpg

the part number is R634 KRD25FJ180T RES , CARBON

It's a five band resistor colour code, so you get three figures, multiplier then tolerance. so it reads like;-
brown 1
grey 8
black 0
multiplier x0.1
tolerance 10%

ie, 18 0hms 10%
I said it gets tricky!:D

edit;- and it's even trickier when someone else puts in the wrong value.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi mrlennon,
Just a complete guess. It appears to be a 1/4 or 1/2 W resistor, I can't tell by the number and I'm going from the picture. So a 1W might be just fine. There is usually a guide that says all resistors are X watts unless marked otherwise. Sometimes in the parts list somewhere there is an explaination on how their part numbers work.

Give it a shot.

-Chris

ok thanks mate,

i unsure as well if its a 1/4 or 1/2 W resistor?
i have emailed karmon about the part number and hopefully will get a reply fingers crossed,

i also heard this model is a rebadged avr 4550 is if anyone has the service manual laying around maybe they could check for me,

i still have not had the rest of the parts come i ordered as of today, still waiting for them to arrive, so i can make a start, but they will hopefully be here any day now and i just got to find the wattage of this 18 ohm resistor as previously described.

i did have a quick look around for the avr 4550 but cant find a schematic to find out the value.

Ok just a update, i had a search through my older service manuals and it seems the 330 has same layout so i can confirm it is a Carbon 18 OHM 1/4W resistor.

now im trying to find a source for this resistor, had a quick look on Maplins

can seem to see one i could use, maybe someone woul be kind enough to have a look through and see if they can find one suitable.

thanks.

oh i see, thanks chris, must of overl ooked that one,
will pick it up tommorow, also will there be any diffrence concidering the origanal was carbon and this ones metal film?

will pop to maplins tommorow to pick it up along with the insulators and fingers crossed parts might arrive.

ok just a update,

my parts arrived today at last.

will start fitting them today.

just a quick question i have never tryed a light bulb in series before so has anyone got a picture to show me how you rig a light bulb up in series?

also i have the bias picture for this amp, could someone also tell me how i go about adjusting with a dmm acording to the schematic? again never done it before but i know a bit about voltages so im not going to go sky high lol,
just need some pointers and advice.

heres the pic to the bias adjustment.
bias.jpg

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi mrlennon,
This one seems to run a little warm.

First, rig up an AC outlet and plug where the light bulb is wired in series with the outlet. Do this carefully and insulate everything. You are 230VAC and that is deadly. Plug this assembly into the wall, make sure the receiver is off and plug it in, you can reverse this procedure if it's easier (wall plug last).

Turn the set on while watching the lamp brightness, and for smoke from the receiver. The lamp should light brightly and dim down, try a 60W first. If the lamp stays close to normally bright, you have something wrong, turn it off. If not, change to a 120W lamp and try again. Watch the amplifier board for smoke. If the lamp is dim, measure the bias points and report. Turn off.

-Chris

ok thanks,

im starting to replace the components tonight.

quick question, i did a test on this light bulb method on my tv,

what happens is the light bulb lights up dim for 2 secs when tv is switched on then goes off then it flashes 3 times and repeats at the same time i can hear a clicking at the back of tv, also the tv does not power up, however cocidering ur limiting the voltage supply i would guess this it wouldent power on ?
i may be wrong? is this normal?

ok just a update,

i finished putting the amp back together,

i put light bulb in series with a 120w bulb,

when i switch the amplifier on, its glows very dim for about 4 seconds then after about 4 seconds the bulb goes bright for 1 second, then the ampifier goes back into standby?

is this normal?

thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.