amp been in for repair, not fixed need advice to trace faults

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ok thanks chris,

i have been troubleshooting the amp now think i have sorced the problem,

seems to stop on now also stopping on on full power which is a good thing :)

now im not 100% sure if the "THERMAL SENSOR , POSISTOR" which controls the fan connected to heatsink, if heatsink gets hot, im pretty sure it is not working and not sure how you test these sensors,

so im thinking of connecting the fan and letting it run all the time which would help keep it cooler,

trouble is im not sure where i should take the voltage power from to power the fan.

ive also noticed the fan at the back of amp dont spin either but not sure if the rear fan is suppost to be running all the time?.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi mrlennon,
Excellent. Now the fans. Check the solder connections first. You should be able to measure a voltage change across the sensor as the heatsink warms up.

Fix the problem, don't run the fan(s) all the time.

What are we working on? I forgot now (make-model).

-Chris

ok if u dont have it i could host it someware thats not a problem chris ;)

i am just wondering if u say the back fan is not suppost to come on and stop on from powerup (sorry to ask but ive never really had them connected while i was repairing amp) them maybe there is no fault maybe its just normal, also the fan on heatsink which also does not come on (i have tested the sensor and it does measure) so maybe all is well, and maybe the back fan only comes on when the unit gets hot, just like the headsink fan,

so maybe the unit is operating correctly, also its nice to actually be able to replace the lid lol, its been a long process tracking the faults when you repair 1 fault then another goes, but im hopeing the amp will be ok now, i have left the bias on all channels at the minimum just to be on the safe side as i cant see it will do any harm, with 8 ohm speakers attached sound is ok anyway,

i will see how it goes over the next few days, and report.

Fingers crossed

:D

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi mrlennon,
I would say your unit may be fine. The fans usually don't come on until the heatsink gets very warm on many makes. By all means, put the cover on and try it.

I wouldn't mind having a look at the fan circuit. If you could either host the manual, or email it to bhomester at gmail dot com . Unlimited attachment size there. Thanks.

-Chris

hi chris,

im glad you got it ok, lets hope they kiss and make up after all its nearly new year :D
just want to wish you a happy new year chris, and thanks for all the help & advice you have given me on this thread, it really helped me in getting it repaired:worship: , seems the amp is still going strong, i will be connecting the 7 speakers up to her tommorow so "fingers crossed", can i also say thanks to Bernhard for the help too.
thanks chris, you know your stuff and kind enough to take the time to help me all through this :up:
a Happy New year to you and your family and hope you have a great 2006 mate.:up:

all the best,
mrlennard.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi mrlennon,
I'm very happy everything worked out well so far! The best part is you did the work yourself, and learned a lot along the way. This makes it worth while in my book.

Have a Happy New Year! :cheers: Maybe you'll build something at some point?

All the best, Chris :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.