• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Amanero Isolator/Reclocker GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Acko, just a brief update on my build.

I've configured the BBB to use the clocks on the SO3 and hooked everything else up (bar the I/V stage power supply), including feeding turbo mode master clock from the SO3 to the Buffalo 3SE, so fully synchronous (You may recall you built my SO3 with 90/98MHz clocks).

On the assumption that the DAC's Lock LED will only light if valid data is being received it would appear that everything is working correctly.

Back to the bench now to build the I/V power supplies so I can, hopefully, get to have a listen soon.

Ray

I've configured the BBB to use the clocks on the SO3 and hooked everything else up (bar the I/V stage power supply), including feeding turbo mode master clock from the SO3 to the Buffalo 3SE, so fully synchronous (You may recall you built my SO3 with 90/98MHz clocks).

On the assumption that the DAC's Lock LED will only light if valid data is being received it would appear that everything is working correctly.

Back to the bench now to build the I/V power supplies so I can, hopefully, get to have a listen soon.

Ray

Ray, this is looking good!
Also, trying playing music and see if the DAC still locks.
With synchronous mode you can also set the DPLL to the 'lowest' for best jitter reduction and DAC should still remain locked.
Your setup is also DxD/DSD ready so it will be interesting to see how the BBB fares with these material.

Success!

Ray

Hi Acko, Success!

This morning I finished hooking up the I/V supplies and have just been having a listen on my headphones.

Very positive first impressions, smooth but punchy and with fantastic detail.

I've listened to 16bit/44.1Khz and 24bit/48, 96 and 192KHz recordings (all FLAC) with no glitches whatsoever.

The whole chain is running synchronously from the SO3 clocks.

I'll post some pictures and a bit more detail a bit later.

Ray

Some pictures and a little more info;

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This is my 'new arrival', a network renderer/DAC based around Acko's SO3 board. I say based around because my SO3, with 90/98MHz clocks, is used to run the whole 'audio' chain synchronously.

The network renderer module is a BeagleBone Black (BBB) running miero's botic distribution. The BBB's onboard clock is disabled and clocking is provided by the SO3, with clock selection according to the incoming data's sampling rate.

i2s from the BBB is passed to the SO3 via isolators where it is reclocked before onward transmission to my Buffalo 3SE DAC. The DAC's onboard clock is disabled (by removing the relevant trident supply) and clocking is provided by the SO3 via 'turbo mode' connection.

Output from the DAC goes to a Legato I/V module.

Most of the power supplies are by Salas, a Reflektor D for the SO3, another for the Buff 3SE and a pair of BIBs for the Legato. A small LM317 linear regulator powers the BBB.

The front panel is American walnut.

I had a longer listen last evening with headphones and I retain my very positive first impressions, dynamic but with no edge and amazing detail and the noise floor must be very low as the background is inky black. It can only get better as it burns in. Later today I plan to plug it into the main system for a listen.

Ray

While I am waiting a new Amanero fw, I tried to feed a diyinhk CM6631A usb->i2s card with the S03.

This CM6631A is a galvanic card with the two outputs, one isolated and other non isolated. I used the headphone output that is a non isolated output.

For the first time, it worked!
I feed the S03 with power, for the 5V via a lab PSU and the 3.3V via an AMS1117 that their power feed was the dac's 5V.

I am wondering if this schema of 3.3V powering is good?

attachment.php

This is my 'new arrival', a network renderer/DAC based around Acko's SO3 board. I say based around because my SO3, with 90/98MHz clocks, is used to run the whole 'audio' chain synchronously.

The network renderer module is a BeagleBone Black (BBB) running miero's botic distribution. The BBB's onboard clock is disabled and clocking is provided by the SO3, with clock selection according to the incoming data's sampling rate.

i2s from the BBB is passed to the SO3 via isolators where it is reclocked before onward transmission to my Buffalo 3SE DAC. The DAC's onboard clock is disabled (by removing the relevant trident supply) and clocking is provided by the SO3 via 'turbo mode' connection.

Output from the DAC goes to a Legato I/V module.

Most of the power supplies are by Salas, a Reflektor D for the SO3, another for the Buff 3SE and a pair of BIBs for the Legato. A small LM317 linear regulator powers the BBB.

The front panel is American walnut.

I had a longer listen last evening with headphones and I retain my very positive first impressions, dynamic but with no edge and amazing detail and the noise floor must be very low as the background is inky black. It can only get better as it burns in. Later today I plan to plug it into the main system for a listen.

Ray

Thanks Ray, absolutely delighted:cheers:
Looks like a melting pot of different technologies in harmony and yeah the craftsmanship! Feels like I have fallen behind the curve with all your progress :yikes:

Anyway, I will see whether I could reel you in with some homework:mischiev::D

1. See if you could bypass the divider on S03 like what was done with Chanh's setup (using 45/49.xx osc.). You will then need to punch in the 90/98.xx figures into the Botic driver as indicated below:

from Botic description file:
--------------------------------
External masterclock frequencies
--------------------------------
External masterclock frequency for 44k1 is configurable via:
- kernel option snd_soc_botic.clk_44k1
- file /sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/clk_44k1
Default value: 90316800

External masterclock frequency for 48k is configurable via:
- kernel option snd_soc_botic.clk_48k
- file /sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/clk_48k
Default value: 98304000

According to Chanh the imaging improved on his setup with this direct drive ...

2. Try DxD music (352.8K Fs) using the sample file from 2L-Nordic e.g:
http://www.lindberg.no/hires/test/2L38_01_DXD.zip

3. Bypass oversampling in the 9018 DAC for DxD as above using the OSF Bypass function and see if things improve in this "NOS" mode

4. I am assuming your DPLL_BW is at "Lowest" setting. Try setting DPLL_BW to "No Bandwidth" and see if DAC still locks for all Fs - and if any improvement follows...

No rush, all in good time :D:D:D

Last edited:
SuperCape EOI:

PET-240 x 2
Chanh x2
Acko x1
Stijn001 x1
Emyeuoi x 2
Mull3t x2
Myint 67x1
bk856er x1
Supersurfer x1
RollE2k x1
Crazikid x 1
Nautibuoy x1
DQ828 x 1
Lindamar x 2
iancortez x 1
CAAD x 1
Greg Stewart x 1 (but you knew that, Acko... also, maybe x 2)
IanS1 x 1
tods 1x
wlowes x 1
odem81 x1
ochabo x1
potstip x1
dwjames x1
vanofmonks x1
wollie x 2
jarrettv x 1
MadKid x 1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.