• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Amanero Isolator/Reclocker GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Are you saying U5 in this configuration has no added values? Pretty happy with this configuration, but my skills for this delicated exercise can not be trusted! Can not afford to have it sent back again! :D

Still early days...
If transports have "prescaler" then external divider is not needed. Amanero has a prescaler option so external divider is not needed, even up to 98.xx/90.xx Clocks of S03. If BBB version of this prescaler function is proven by more users then, yes, we may consider discarding. However, other transports have no such options e.g Edel-NMR, WaveIO, SDTrans384, so need to keep the external divider for these cases

For those interested in trying this mod, or at even higher clock rates, pending which clocks are fitted on your S03. My clocks are 45/49.xx, therefore BBB is set to outputting 45/49.xx via Miero's Botic driver. This setting is now working flawlessly for my built. With this setting, I heard better sound image than previously had at 22/24.xx. :worship::spin:
Excellent news :)

Acko and all,

Something to be aware of with regards to the supercape development.

There seems to be a a known issue with different revisions of the BBB with regards to the powering down of VDD_3V3EXP, with a battery connected. Some boards seem to do this others don’t. Mine doesn’t. This means that with a battery connected to the BBB, pin P9_3/4, VDD3V3EXP doesn’t power down.

Exert I found on the web:

I'm investigating a proper shutdown and power-off if the main 5V is removed. I have a Li-Ion battery connected to keep everything running until a proper shutdown/power-off can occur.
Using the method in "Re: [beagleboard] Chip power down and PMIC_POWER_EN" while in Uboot, I can see that the A5C shuts everything down including the VDD_3V3B supply (see schematic). The A6 does not.

Now if there is no battery connected, they both power-off

Acko and all,

Something to be aware of with regards to the supercape development.

There seems to be a a known issue with different revisions of the BBB with regards to the powering down of VDD_3V3EXP, with a battery connected. Some boards seem to do this others don’t. Mine doesn’t. This means that with a battery connected to the BBB, pin P9_3/4, VDD3V3EXP doesn’t power down.

Exert I found on the web:

I'm investigating a proper shutdown and power-off if the main 5V is removed. I have a Li-Ion battery connected to keep everything running until a proper shutdown/power-off can occur.
Using the method in "Re: [beagleboard] Chip power down and PMIC_POWER_EN" while in Uboot, I can see that the A5C shuts everything down including the VDD_3V3B supply (see schematic). The A6 does not.

Now if there is no battery connected, they both power-off

For anyone intrested, I've just posted pictures of my complete build including the BBB ->S03 -> OTTO-II -> DDDAC, here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...pcm1794-waveio-usb-input-386.html#post4190525

I used a battery as discribed here: BeagleBone Black: BBB - Rechargeable on-board b... | element14.

However when powering down the BBB, there remains 3.3V at the S03 BBB isolator side.., due to the battery being attached. I hope the new supercape will fix this.

Or, is anybody aware of a 3.3V feed I could use that will turn off together with the BBB.

Thank you for your findings and reports - much appreciated!
Yes, this BBB power issue is becoming a headache:scratch: but rest assured, will be getting all these 'holes' plugged, just more hardware and firmware development to do ...

Last edited:
@Acko are you planning to make UFL board for soren r-2r dac?
I think we will use s03 only for as an external clok for BBB (becasuse of not suport 44.1 family) so could you please you guide us for BBB->s03->r-2r configration when boards show up?

There are plans but I cannot find any information on the Digital Inputs. I think it is the header J4 on Soren's DAC but appears unmarked.
You can use S03 to clock the BBB but the isolation and reclocking to premium oscillators will be superfluous as Soren's DAC "blocks" all these with its own isolation and reclocking. (So you may want to consider lower grade/cheaper clocks for S03)

You can also use the SuperCape or similar:
BBB- SuperCape - Soren's DAC

After a hiatus of several weeks because of the Christmas break and then a long wait for parts to be delivered, today I've been working on my DAC build.

'Signal chain' is BBB/SO3/Buffalo 3. Today I've been assembling the chassis, installing transformers and power supplies and have now successfully powered up the Signal chain, see picture below. The BBB is powered my an LM317 regulator and the SO3 and Buffalo 3 each have a Salas Reflektor D. The large empty space is for Salas BIB regulators for the Legato I/V stage, which I've started assembling. First though I'm going to configure the BBB as per miero's instructions and see if I can successfully send it music, indicated by the Buffalo lock LED turning on.

Ray

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Great, can't wait!

Thanks for sharing. Great to hear that yours is working!
I will see if I can get mine to work similarly. Already tried 3 Amanero units with the same issue as I have reported below. My driver is 1.03. Maybe I will update this and see.
For those who as interested we are trying to slave the Amanero Combo384 to the S03 Clocks similar to that done for BBB

Just cleared and reinstalled Foobar to the latest version.
Amanero now plays all 44.1k based files right up to DxD (352.8K) without problems. I am using 9018 DAC that remained locked at lowest BW even at 352.8K and sounds great!

48k based still a problem. Bit clock from Amanero disappears when clocks switch. Sometimes after reset (replug usb) it plays 48k :scratch:

Amanero now plays all 44.1k based files right up to DxD (352.8K) without problems. I am using 9018 DAC that remained locked at lowest BW even at 352.8K and sounds great!

48k based still a problem. Bit clock from Amanero disappears when clocks switch. Sometimes after reset (replug usb) it plays 48k :scratch:

Acko,

I was facing same issue with 48k having BBB's I2S connected direct to Amanero pins. JRiver kept shut itself down or pink noise was playing whenever I stream 48k material to BBB via upmpdcli. Issue resolved when I reconnect BBB's I2S to S03-UFL. I think those 22R resisters in the path helps! Not sure how relevant to Amanero though?

Chanh

SuperCape EOI:

PET-240 x 2
Chanh x2
Acko x1
Stijn001 x1
Emyeuoi x 2
Mull3t x2
Myint 67x1
bk856er x1
Supersurfer x1
RollE2k x1
Crazikid x 1
Nautibuoy x1
DQ828 x 1
Lindamar x 2
iancortez x 1
CAAD x 1
Greg Stewart x 1 (but you knew that, Acko... also, maybe x 2)
IanS1 x 1
tods 1x
wlowes x 1
odem81 x1
ochabo x1
potstip x1
dwjames x1

SuperCape EOI:

PET-240 x 2
Chanh x2
Acko x1
Stijn001 x1
Emyeuoi x 2
Mull3t x2
Myint 67x1
bk856er x1
Supersurfer x1
RollE2k x1
Crazikid x 1
Nautibuoy x1
DQ828 x 1
Lindamar x 2
iancortez x 1
CAAD x 1
IanS1 x 1
tods 1x
wlowes x 1
odem81 x1
ochabo x1
potstip x1
dwjames x1
vanofmonks x1

Please, ignore my previous post.
Unfortunately, there was problem on my computer setup.
With the latest driver 1.0.57 and the appropriate plugin (asio, wasapi, kernel) for software player, this setup plays well all the samples.

Also, there is no any problem to the FFT noise floor, jitter, amanero clocks. Everything works well.

Sorry for the wrong information!

The bad news is double!
Today, I had a lot of problem.

While plays well, stopped complete and cursor or don't move or move very quick. There is no output!
After some pc restart (Win' XP Pro) starts to play well but after some time the same!
I repeat all of these with my laptop (win'7) the same exactly issue. I tried all the drivers (asio, kernel, wasapi). :confused:

Quick check, I've added some bits to my s03 this evening to get it ready for synchronous clocking with a BBB. I've added the clock select bits and bypassed the divider as Acko mentioned. Just waiting for the new oscillators now.

But, I didn't have ufl inputs before so I've added those, but on my BOM, I don't see a value for r14-r17. I've guessed that they're the same as r9-r12 on the output and installed 22ohm resistors here, is that correct?
Thanks,
James

SuperCape EOI:

PET-240 x 2
Chanh x2
Acko x1
Stijn001 x1
Emyeuoi x 2
Mull3t x2
Myint 67x1
bk856er x1
Supersurfer x1
RollE2k x1
Crazikid x 1
Nautibuoy x1
DQ828 x 1
Lindamar x 2
iancortez x 1
CAAD x 1
IanS1 x 1
tods 1x
wlowes x 1
odem81 x1
ochabo x1
potstip x1
dwjames x1
vanofmonks x1
wollie x 2
jarrettv x 1

Acko,

I was facing same issue with 48k having BBB's I2S connected direct to Amanero pins. JRiver kept shut itself down or pink noise was playing whenever I stream 48k material to BBB via upmpdcli. Issue resolved when I reconnect BBB's I2S to S03-UFL. I think those 22R resisters in the path helps! Not sure how relevant to Amanero though?

Chanh
Interesting point:
Your build was originally sending 22/24.xxMHz to BBB clock from S03 and this worked fine for all Fs with just direct wiring to Amanero header pads of S03. But now with the divider bypassed, BBB is getting double frequency clocks from your S03 (45/49.xx) and these have to go through the isolators as well - so bit of stress here. Also, Connecting direct to Amanero header bypasses the termination resistors on the S03, so yes, best to use the UFL headers.
Anyway, we need to keep an eye for this and see how others fare with this divider bypass.

FYI, Amanero Combo384 has already got termination resistors on board so it is perfectly alright to connect direct to the matching header on the S03 - I would say this may not be the cause of the problems that we are seeing with Amanero... :2c:

Amanero Issues

The bad news is double!
Today, I had a lot of problem.

While plays well, stopped complete and cursor or don't move or move very quick. There is no output!
After some pc restart (Win' XP Pro) starts to play well but after some time the same!
I repeat all of these with my laptop (win'7) the same exactly issue. I tried all the drivers (asio, kernel, wasapi). :confused:

This is really weird!
Now, even this version is also affected. Very expensive Rogers board may go to waste :crying:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.