• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Amanero Isolator/Reclocker GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sounds like you have done your homework. From what I remember the software side seems fine. If voltages and connections check out (pictures might be helpfull if you want a second opinion). I use both the WaveIO and BBB through the S03 into a PCM1794 so with redbook material I wouldn't expect you'd have an issue with I2S wordlength or left/right justified. Maybe Ian or Acko have some suggestions.

Btw..The Rigol ds1054z is a great afforable scope. :eek:

Thanks stijn001. I will post pics tonight. Thinking about it, lack of 3.3v power from bbb to isolator could kill the signals. I will also double check this. I had to manually solder the ufl connectors to the input side of the I2S/PCM board. This could be the culprit.
I will check out the scope you suggest. I want to stay close to state of the art on the digital input. Kind of demands this step.

That's a good point. One mistake I'd made, was to connect the 3.3v from the BBB to the S03 at the wrong pin. There was something with two pins, one connecting to U3(?) that controls the clock selection and one to the isolator, if I remember correctly, I'd have to doublecheck the diagrams again. Maybe you want to double check this.

@wloves
Please check the BCK output of the S03 board while playing music. It should be switching nicely. If you have no scope then measure the dc avg, should be ~1.6V. If none then try to trace backwards to source

@stijn001, thanks for helping out also

I have 1.641v on BCK output from S03!!! Yay! This means everything is working up to the output of S03, right? That is great. The hardest part would be if I had messed up S03 smt soldering.

I checked all the connections from bbb to s03. They all seem fine. Sounds like it is time to focus on the i2S/pcm ufl connectors.

I am so far just using botic distro with all defaults so could be things I need to set there, ...

Must Change the default Clock configuration(via “uEnv.txt” file). Select #3 as highlighted:
‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
bbb.ieero3.pdf said:
Installed clocks are configurable via:
‐ kernel option snd_soc_botic.ext_masterclk
Examples:
0 ... no external clocks, just onboard for 48k freq (default)
1 ... external clock for 44k1 + onboard for 48k
2 ... external clock for 48k only
3 ... external clocks for 44k1 and 48k (needed for cape)
+4 ... invert polarity of clock selection switch GPIO0_15
9 ... external clock for 44k1 only

Not sure where I went wrong.
I think I will let it rest until I break down and buy a scope. Otherwise kind of shooting in the dark.
Checked the kernel option snd_soc_botic.ext_masterclk is set to 3.
S03 clearly had both clocks working as BBB played all sample rates.
But I could never drive the Ian/I2s/PCM brd and get a lock.
I tried
-bypassing the I2S brd and go straight to the DAC.
-inserting WaveIO usb to drive S03 to I2S/PCM
both silence
Thought maybe simply had a bad ufl connector to the I2S brd, but when I went back to BBB->WaveIO->I2S/PCM->DAC with same cables, everything snaps to life and plays music.

I think I will leave the S03 until I have a scope to diagnose where I have a bad solder joint or damaged part. Still look forward to using it, but this is taking too much time without music:)

Attachments

• 20150630_190617_resized.jpg
    20150630_190617_resized.jpg
    487 KB · Views: 306
stijn001 said:
Did you jumper the 3.3V pin at the BBB side of the isolator, I dont' see it in your picture?

stijn001
Great eye for detail! I did not. I will look for the schematic for the S03 and see if that could explain the behavior I see. Certainly worth a try. If the isolator is not functioning, then it would certainly cause the issue I see.

Last edited:
I suspect you have found my issue

stijn001
I reviewed the schematic and then the pcb, and the 3.3v pins 2 and 4 supply power to the dirty side of the 2 isolators. I had assumed without checking that they were joined on the pcb and that I only needed to connect to one. Certainly with one of the isolators powered off, no music. I will put it in my system on the weekend and report back.

But I certainly wanted to say thanks for reviewing so closely and likely having found my issue just from a photo.
most appreciated
Walter

stijn001
I reviewed the schematic and then the pcb, and the 3.3v pins 2 and 4 supply power to the dirty side of the 2 isolators. I had assumed without checking that they were joined on the pcb and that I only needed to connect to one. Certainly with one of the isolators powered off, no music. I will put it in my system on the weekend and report back.

But I certainly wanted to say thanks for reviewing so closely and likely having found my issue just from a photo.
most appreciated
Walter

Walter, I did make a change to join these pins on board and you may have this latest revision board. Please check your board again... rev suffix

Last edited:
Success

:D stijn001
You are the master! I put in the jumper and am happily listening to music on the BBB - S03 - Ian I2S/PCM - TDA1541A setup. No more USB.

Immediately it was clear this is a new paradigm in sound quality. Thank you Acko for the design and the pcbs.

I will let it settle in. Like everything it has that new cap tight sound. But right from the start I played a well recorded but complex piece of classical music. Oh my. Every instrument was hanging in 3d space like I have never heard before.
I look forward to optimizing all the PS. Also have a bunch of BG NX caps on the way that will no doubt offer hours of tinkering fun.
Thanks again guys!

:D stijn001
You are the master! I put in the jumper and am happily listening to music on the BBB - S03 - Ian I2S/PCM - TDA1541A setup. No more USB.

Immediately it was clear this is a new paradigm in sound quality. Thank you Acko for the design and the pcbs.

I will let it settle in. Like everything it has that new cap tight sound. But right from the start I played a well recorded but complex piece of classical music. Oh my. Every instrument was hanging in 3d space like I have never heard before.
I look forward to optimizing all the PS. Also have a bunch of BG NX caps on the way that will no doubt offer hours of tinkering fun.
Thanks again guys!

Excellent! :cheers:
Never imagined the possibilities. Really impressed by your determination in the midst of frustration! Will keep an eye on this wiring issue. Many thanks also Stijn001 for helping to troubleshoot.
Hope the PS tweaks take things further ...

Early feed back on PS tweaks

Excellent! :cheers:
Hope the PS tweaks take things further ...
Given the great sound that results from S03 out of the box, it would be natural to assume that nothing can be done to take it up a notch...

I am happy to report there appears to be some more juice to be squeezed from this tasty fruit.

Anyone who know me, knows I am a fan of old Black gate capacitors. Particularly around digital PS, they can be magic. I have only just begun and I am going to take it one step at a time to understand where there are available gains to be had.

First I added BG NX HiQ .1uF tight to the pins of the clock PS pins. Clearly a nice step up in clarity and pinpoint location of instruments.

Next a little bigger step. I had been using the LTC1655 option for powering the clocks. I disconnected this supply and put in a discrete TPS7A4700 based 3.3v reg. The version supplied was from Ian Canada. Another nice bump in SQ. The game changer however was to modify the Ian Canada reg with BG's. There is a noise regulator cap at the c11 position. Here I used a BG NX HiQ .47uF. Also on input C9 I put a BG N 33uF. Even without burn in, it is a quantum leap forward. More 3D positioning. Detailed but natural. BIG bass. Air around everything.

I am going to continue my BG exploration by putting HiQ caps on the pins of all consumers and add another TPS7A4700 on the PS for the Potatoe chips.

Again, cudos to acko for a great platform. Happy to see there is a little room to play around.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks for the report Walter! Sounds like you're putting your newly-acquired BGs to good use!

I think you know of these, but just in case, there were some discussions of the sound of various caps on Ian's regs in his FIFO thread back in 2013... Two that I bookmarked were posts 2788 & 2872, but I remember there were some other comments earlier in the thread that year.

The posts at 2872 describe using some Black Gates similar to what you did.

Very curious what you'll hear trying the better regs on the re-clocking flip-flop chips... keep us updated.

Take care, Walter!

Greg in Mississippi

2872 2788

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.