• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Amanero Isolator/Reclocker GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been reading various sources on this simple DSD 'DAC' topic and I'm beginning to think that the best way to go about this might not involve BBB/botic or the like and perhaps a USB solution is better.

One of the consistent themes is that the 'faster' the DSD the better (for lower noise), ideally aiming for DSD256 or DSD512. I believe BBB will run out of steam beyond DSD128.

Perhaps this is the way to go - a dedicated Linux distribution, with HQPlayer or JRiver embedded, upsampling PCM to DSD256/512 on the fly and controllable from a UPnP control point, such as BubbleUPnP. There's some interesting info here, though I don't think the guy will win any awards for website design!

AudioLinux - The audiophile realtime plug & play operative system

That maps to a chain something like;

NAS (UPnP media Server) >> AudioLinux/HQPlayer (Upsample to DSD256/512) >> USB >> Reclocker >> DSD 'DAC'
V
V
Other UPnP Renderers

There are a number of interesting and relevant threads over on Computer Audiophile.

I'm not convinced by the Signalyst DSD DAC though, it seems to be overly complex with lots of processing, and looks a bit compromised with so-so power supplies? The Lampizator appears to be the one that has set the bar. The AudioLinux site I linked to includes reference to a very simple DSD DAC that is discussed further over on Computer Audiophile;

The minimum DSD DAC - Page 6

For an 'affordable' off-the-shelf DSD solution this product is very well regarded;

micro – iDSD

Ray

You got that right :)

So I'm missing the point, whats wrong with just using, Foobars-Amanero-Reclocker-BIII for native DSD?

Nothing, it works fine and is similar to my set up except I use the BBB/Botic at the front end instead of Amanero. However, I posted in the context of the intriguing possibilities around a minimalist DSD only solution that doesn't use a conventional DAC chip and in that scenario the higher rate DSD streams enabled by that sort of optimised audio computer platform, and the options offered by the player software I mentioned, seems to make sense.

Ray

I've been reading various sources on this simple DSD 'DAC' topic and I'm beginning to think that the best way to go about this might not involve BBB/botic or the like and perhaps a USB solution is better.

One of the consistent themes is that the 'faster' the DSD the better (for lower noise), ideally aiming for DSD256 or DSD512. I believe BBB will run out of steam beyond DSD128.

Perhaps this is the way to go - a dedicated Linux distribution, with HQPlayer or JRiver embedded, upsampling PCM to DSD256/512 on the fly and controllable from a UPnP control point, such as BubbleUPnP. There's some interesting info here, though I don't think the guy will win any awards for website design!

AudioLinux - The audiophile realtime plug & play operative system

That maps to a chain something like;

NAS (UPnP media Server) >> AudioLinux/HQPlayer (Upsample to DSD256/512) >> USB >> Reclocker >> DSD 'DAC'
V
V
Other UPnP Renderers

There are a number of interesting and relevant threads over on Computer Audiophile.

I'm not convinced by the Signalyst DSD DAC though, it seems to be overly complex with lots of processing, and looks a bit compromised with so-so power supplies? The Lampizator appears to be the one that has set the bar. The AudioLinux site I linked to includes reference to a very simple DSD DAC that is discussed further over on Computer Audiophile;

The minimum DSD DAC - Page 6

For an 'affordable' off-the-shelf DSD solution this product is very well regarded;

micro – iDSD

Ray

Ray, thanks for sharing. Opens up exciting possibilities! DSD DAC covering all bases(PCM converted/DSD) will be fantastic but I would also like to see how it all compares to natively recorded DSD material - so a much shorter processing chain during playback.
I am getting close to firming up my own DSD DAC design with passive filtering and will be like an add-on module to the S03 as shown before. I will arrange some prototypes for you to test when ready.

Ray, thanks for sharing. Opens up exciting possibilities! DSD DAC covering all bases(PCM converted/DSD) will be fantastic but I would also like to see how it all compares to natively recorded DSD material - so a much shorter processing chain during playback.
I am getting close to firming up my own DSD DAC design with passive filtering and will be like an add-on module to the S03 as shown before. I will arrange some prototypes for you to test when ready.

Cheers Acko. I don't pretend that my summary is in any way definitive; the whole topic is seeing a lot of experimentation and learning. I imagine material recorded as DSD (though I'm not sure just how 'pure' native DSD actually is, given manipulation in the mastering process) ought to sound better than upsampled/transcoded recordings but it will be interesting to see if we can also squeeze a little more out of what we already have - to explore if the 'less is more' paradigm is valid in this context.

I need to try and cobble together some PC hardware to try out some of the Linux software I mentioned.

This approach to DSD 'decoding' would appear to be dependent on a well timed set of data so building on the shoulders of your SO3 is a really neat starting point - does the higher rate DSD data have implications for the clocks used on the SO3? I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Ray

Cheers Acko. I don't pretend that my summary is in any way definitive; the whole topic is seeing a lot of experimentation and learning. I imagine material recorded as DSD (though I'm not sure just how 'pure' native DSD actually is, given manipulation in the mastering process) ought to sound better than upsampled/transcoded recordings but it will be interesting to see if we can also squeeze a little more out of what we already have - to explore if the 'less is more' paradigm is valid in this context.

I need to try and cobble together some PC hardware to try out some of the Linux software I mentioned.

This approach to DSD 'decoding' would appear to be dependent on a well timed set of data so building on the shoulders of your SO3 is a really neat starting point - does the higher rate DSD data have implications for the clocks used on the SO3? I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Ray

Yes, we will need to start from somewhere :)

The S03 is looking more like the core building block for a DSD DAC with all the time alignment and isolation taken care of. In regards to DSD speed capabilities, these are all listed on my webpages for different clocks. So yours with 100M clock will go up to DSD1024!

.. I would also like to see how it all compares to natively recorded DSD material - so a much shorter processing chain during playback.

In case you or anybody hadn't come across these yet, 2L has a nice free to download selection of DSD test files here: 2L - the Nordic Sound (top right corner " Test bench HD audio files". They claim to use DXD source material.

Looking forward to seeing what you've come up with.

@Ray, I see some logic in your comment on that higher DSD rates could potentially be better and that the BBB will run out of steam (untill the 4-core SoC BBB is out).

Last edited:
In case you or anybody hadn't come across these yet, 2L has a nice free to download selection of DSD test files here: 2L - the Nordic Sound (top right corner " Test bench HD audio files". They claim to use DXD source material.

Looking forward to seeing what you've come up with.

@Ray, I see some logic in your comment on that higher DSD rates could potentially be better and that the BBB will run out of steam (untill the 4-core SoC BBB is out).

2L is a convenient source for testing DSD. Yes, they use DxD Master to start with and then create DSD files. If you look at their comments DxD seems to sound better. Not surprising as DxD is the original master and the conversion from PCM to DSD is a bit lossy.

Tests should also be made with DSD Music Labels as most of us have CD versions for comparisons after up-sampling/conversion. So far I have only seen Acoustic Sounds offering DSD labels and how the recording was made.

I have some good news for Amanero owners.

I had test the S03 before with the new Amanero Instructions for CPLD Firmware Slave_1080 and CPU Firmware fw_1096c but the S03 played well until 192KHz only.

Sometimes ago, I had bypass the S03 divider and after this all the job was done by the Amanero divider.
It was wrong for the new firmware setup.

Just I returned to the X2 S03 divider (45+/49+), all the music files play well until 384KHz either mclk or tmclk.

I had test the S03 before with the new Amanero Instructions for CPLD Firmware Slave_1080 and CPU Firmware fw_1096c but the S03 played well until 192KHz only.

Sometimes ago, I had bypass the S03 divider and after this all the job was done by the Amanero divider.

Just I returned to the X2 S03 divider (45+/49+), all the music files play well until 384KHz either mclk or tmclk.

Thank you so much for your effors!
Yes, the prescaler within Amanero is broken and I have asked Amanero to fix this but so far no progress. Thought with the prescaler there will be one less switching component on the S03. ... until then just use the S03 dividers

Just to confirm, after "unsuccessfull" outcome from software divider on amanero you returned to S03 hardware divider(..74 logic /2 for 44/49 or /4 for 90/98) with CPLD Firmware Slave_1080 and CPU Firmware fw_1096c remained and it was OK for full range of advertized sample rates including DSD?

S03-BBB

To all S03 users:
If you are using it with BBB (via the BBB-DSD board) the stable Botic release is V3.2 There are V4 and V5 Botic also but I am not sure if there are any sonic benefits of these upgrades other than power management improvements. FYI, the power management is already taken care of by the BBB-DSD board and performs safe and reliable shutdown as well as power sequencing/battery switchover regardless of which version of Botic you are using. Works even if Botic/BBB is 'hung-up' especially if network drive is used.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.