• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Amanero Isolator/Reclocker GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A further update; DSD playback is fine but it took a little time to track down that the previous problem is with the beta version of Asset UPnP V5, which appears to be converting the DSF files to DoP, hence no green DSD led. Using JRiver I was able to stream native DSD to the Botic and everything played back fine with no glitches encountered - everything about the interface board worked right first time so a pat on the back due to Acko.:up: BTW, no DSD config was required.

I guess the apparent Asset issue is part of breaking new ground and I'll feedback the observations to the developers.

My linear reg power supply for the BBB is good for 1.5A and my only concern was the resistor in the pre-filter getting very hot and I'll be checking my calculations to sort a more appropriate value; I think I assumed a max load of 600mA when I configured it. It's just a temporary issue before I restore the battery. I actually need to adjust the current in one of my Salas Reflektor shunt regs too; as my SO3 is clocking the Buffalo 3se I've removed one of the Trident reg boards so the Reflektor is shunting more current than originally planned.

So far I've concentrated on functional testing rather than sound quality evaluation, though it is obviously sounding very good anyway, so more in due course.

Thanks again Acko.

Ray

Last edited:

Well done on getting DSD to play from the BBB. I like the vertical orientation of your adapter board, space is becoming an issue in my case.

Where I'm losing you, is with what it is you did to get DSD to play, where does JRiver come into it, can you eleborate on this a bit more?

One more question, I presume that when the S03 is wired for DSD in/out put it will not be wired correctly for the standard I2S/PCM feed, or does the wiring remain the same and is the BIII autosensing the modulation?

Where I'm losing you, is with what it is you did to get DSD to play, where does JRiver come into it, can you eleborate on this a bit more?

My normal music system setup is based on UPnP/DLNA protocols and consists of a QNAP NAS running Asset UPnP as my music library and, of course BBB/Botic as the renderer (I have installed upmpdcli so that Botic is seen as a DLNA renderer), all controlled by BubbleUPnP. That all works fine for FLAC material but Asset doesn't have a capability to stream native DSD, however, there is a Beta version of Asset (V5, currently Windows only) that claims to support DSD streaming so I installed that on my laptop along with a small selection of dsf format DSD files. However, when I selected the beta Asset as my library and 'played' a DSD file music was heard but it appears the data is being transcoded to DoP, evidenced by the DSD led on the new interface board not lighting. I have JRiver on the same laptop and I know JRiver has good DSD capability and is UPnP/DLNA compatible so I pointed it at my collection of DSD files and chose 'Botic' as the output zone; now the DSD led on the interface board lit up.

So, in summary, I ended up using JRiver to test native DSD streaming because that's all I had with that capability.

Of course, I could have simply loaded a DSD file onto an SD card and run that on the Botic but I was sure Acko had already tested that and my aim was to stream the DSD.

Hope that helps?

One more question, I presume that when the S03 is wired for DSD in/out put it will not be wired correctly for the standard I2S/PCM feed, or does the wiring remain the same and is the BIII autosensing the modulation?

The SO3 and Buffalo DAC are completely unchanged; the SO3 merely passes through whatever data is passed to it and the DAC automatically identifies what it is receiving. the problem is that the BBB/Botic outputs I2S and DSD on different header pins, the trick the new interface board performs is to take the outputs from those different pins and, via switching, route them to a common set of output headers/ufl connectors for onward transmission to the SO3.

Ray

I installed the BBB/SO3 interface board into BBB, and the sound is improved by the interface board. Thanks ACKO!

I can play Stereo DFF DSD 128 5.6448Mbit/s from 2L by the switch function of the interface board.

The dark stone in the picture is Obsidian for EMI absorption to improve the sound quality.

Attachments

• 22919.jpg
    22919.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
DSD

The SO3 and Buffalo DAC are completely unchanged; the SO3 merely passes through whatever data is passed to it and the DAC automatically identifies what it is receiving.
Ray

This DSD/PCM auto-detect works nicely for ESS DACs but not so straightforward for other DACs. For example if you are targeting AKM4490, its registers need to be explicitly set for DSD via I2C.

Looks like Lintweaker is working on getting BBB to output I2C for AKM4490 :)
The board has isolated I2C interfaced to BBB, so makes this convenient:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Alternatively, the uC on this adapter board can be specially programmed for I2C control accordingly.

Last edited:
Last evening I did some more testing of streaming native DSD files from Asset V5 to Botic and was able to confirm that the data is being transcoded to wav DoP.

I was also able to confirm that the native DSD is not transcoded using JRMC.

BBB/Botic/Interface bundle handles incoming data stream correctly, whatever format.

I have posted some debug files to the Asset developers who will hopefully be able help out.

Ray

Last evening I did some more testing of streaming native DSD files from Asset V5 to Botic and was able to confirm that the data is being transcoded to wav DoP.

BBB/Botic/Interface bundle handles incoming data stream correctly, whatever format.

I have posted some debug files to the Asset developers who will hopefully be able help out.

Ray

Thanks Ray, I wasn't sure myself what this DoP was, so your test results were enlightening!
I assuming DoP output is PCM, based on the DSD led being OFF. So what would the effective sample rate be?

Thanks Ray, I wasn't sure myself what this DoP was, so your test results were enlightening!
I assuming DoP output is PCM, based on the DSD led being OFF. So what would the effective sample rate be?

DoP is just DSD data that is streamed packaged up as PCM, which is why the interface board doesn't see it as DSD data, though the ES9018 will be processing it as DSD if my understanding is correct. In PCM terms the DoP data appears as 24bit 176KHz (for both DSD64 and DSD128).

Ray

DoP is just DSD data that is streamed packaged up as PCM <snip>, though the ES9018 will be processing it as DSD if my understanding is correct. In PCM terms the DoP data appears as 24bit 176KHz (for both DSD64 and DSD128).

Ray
No, DoP data will not be seen as DSD data by your DAC. DoP is meant for transporting DSD data encapsulated into PCM from a host (PC) to a device which needs to de-encapsulate it, e.g. the USB receiver chip. The USB receiver chip sends straight DSD data to the DAC chip.

Wrt bitrate for DSD128, of course that is double of 176kHz :)

No, DoP data will not be seen as DSD data by your DAC. DoP is meant for transporting DSD data encapsulated into PCM from a host (PC) to a device which needs to de-encapsulate it, e.g. the USB receiver chip. The USB receiver chip sends straight DSD data to the DAC chip.

I was under the impression that the ES9018 DAC chip identified and de-encapsulated DoP? Will check.

I reported what I'm seeing, not what is possible. Currently both DSD64 and DSD128 are showing as 176KHz on my control point.

Ray

Ray

Ray

How do you know what the data is being transcoded to wav DoP if the data does not transcoded by USB?

Why does not stream native DSD files from Asset V5 to Botic if the data is being transcoded to DAC via I2S as the attached file?

Advanced I2S port of my DAC, North Star Design Excelsio ,supports PCM until 384-32 and native DSD

Attachments

• 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:

If the receiver chip decoded and sent straight DSD data then why in the case of BBB/Botic, the DSD led did not light up as what Ray observed:confused:

One way to find out is what the 9018 DAC is reporting in its status register (#27) -PCM or DSD

Last edited:

Why does not stream native DSD files from Asset V5 to Botic if the data is being transcoded to DAC via I2S as the attached file?

DSD is true streaming vs PCM that is more packet orientated and the latter fits in well with typical frame based network transmission. Guess that is why DoP came about. On a PC system there is ASIO to handle direct streaming but I am not sure if this technique is possible at all with networked system. So I would think Asset or similar 'streamer' will not be able to do so and remain as DoP.
Again, my knowledge on this matter is limited and I could be wrong!

DSD is true streaming vs PCM that is more packet orientated and the latter fits in well with typical frame based network transmission. Guess that is why DoP came about. On a PC system there is ASIO to handle direct streaming but I am not sure if this technique is possible at all with networked system. So I would think Asset or similar 'streamer' will not be able to do so and remain as DoP.
Again, my knowledge on this matter is limited and I could be wrong!

In my knowledge, it transmits a file between PC and BBB via TCP/IP, and this is not about streaming.

Is it like first copying a file to local disk on BBB and then playing it?

BBB receives a long stream of data from PC using the streaming protocol.

The streaming protocol — TCP/IP has a long stream of data that is transmitted from one end of the connection to the other end, and another long stream of data flowing in the opposite direction. The TCP/IP stack at one end is responsible for breaking the stream of data into packets and sending those packets, while the stack at the other end is responsible for reassembling the packets into a data stream using information in the packet headers.

Last edited:
Network streaming for LAN optimized protocols like DLNA, use UDP (connectionless) as supossed to TCP. TCP (connection oriented) uses things like, handshakes, sliding window mechanisme/error detection to "garantee" delivery, which creates additional latency etc, which is not what you want when streaming media. USB has much less overheads as it's designed for point-2-point & short distance. The BBB will buffer data going from Ethernet to USB, there is inherent latency here in the order of a few ms minimum. MPD and sorts will allow for manually setting bigger play-out buffer sizes to counteract upstream (network) latency and such..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.