Aluminium bending..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
question for simon7000, re:

"5052 is the alloy used for bending. If you want to minimize cracking you bend it in stages, usually not worth the effort.

6061 is the alloy most folks stock as it is weldable. 3003 is the cheap stuff you can find at places like home depot. Nice and shiny but not very strong."

any off the cuff ideas on heat conductivity for these three alloys?
or, better yet, a website with such info that you have found reliable?

many thanks,

I have a Diacro 40 ton. That wooden one probably doesn't leave as many die marks though.

You can get urethane bottom dies to get clean bends. 40 tons? I didn't want to mention my normal brake is a 50 ton. My Turret Press is even smaller only 35 tons. You make do with what you have...

question for simon7000, re:

"5052 is the alloy used for bending. If you want to minimize cracking you bend it in stages, usually not worth the effort.

6061 is the alloy most folks stock as it is weldable. 3003 is the cheap stuff you can find at places like home depot. Nice and shiny but not very strong."

any off the cuff ideas on heat conductivity for these three alloys?
or, better yet, a website with such info that you have found reliable?

many thanks,

That is not a characterized specification. But try http://asm.matweb.com/search/SpecificMaterial.asp?bassnum=MA5052H32

Most heatsinks are 6063 and should be very very close.

Last edited:
Very neat and cheap design!
When building it's best to bend the enclosure first and cut the ends and bottom to those dimensions because trying to to do the opposite will leave open areas that don't fit right.
Sometimes your bend might be slightly out of parallel and it's easier to cut the ends to fit a slightly off bend than the trying the bend to an exact dim.

2024 is good enough for an enclosure that won,t crack if the radius is not too tight. You should wet sand the aluminum ends near the bend to help from starting a crack at that location. Round the edges near the bend also.
Do all of this before bending of course.

Make sure the break edge is not to sharp. Rounding it will allow thicker materials to bend before cracking.

Regards
David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.